Baby seat for the car

Do any of the esteemed members of this forum have children.... Are you affluent enough to own a car and if so did you install a baby seat on the back seat. Im assuming the bottom part of the baby seat is secured by the middle seat belt. What about the top part. What does this attach to? Is it necessary to have a special device installed in the car to keep the top / back of the baby seat stable?

A few months ago I noticed one at Robnisons with an air bag each side. Is this a gimmick?

thanks

GH ... I have kids, have car seats for them back in the west.

In Australia, the top of the seat is fastened to a bolt on what we refer to as the rear parcel shelf.

I'll post this and duck off and see if I can find an image for you.

latch_child_seat_404x300x16.png

Here is the Google Image search ... you will find lots more there ... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=anchor+points+baby+car+seat&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&biw=1024&bih=471&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SuwsVMjuBYKZuQSIz4HgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Hope that helps.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

We had a rear facing baby seat until 7 months when he outgrew it. It went in the rear left or right seat with seat belts. Very stable.

Now we have a bigger seat that allows more sitting up. It has a station secured with seat belts and the seat justs clicks in. He loves ir!

Children in this family travelled rear facing in the back seat until 4 years old (in the region of 18kg). Our BMW comes with the ability to disable the passenger airbag, but we have never travelled with a child in the front seat if another option was available. I also have an Italian 2-seater sports car that doesn't have the ability to disable the passenger airbag; a child must therefore travel in a forward facing seat. For this reason, I only allowed that when the body weight was +20kg.

We used Britax. The only issue with a rear facing child seat in the back is leg space when the child grows. The seat is secured with the seat belt and anchored to the front seat mount points . The safety aspects outweighs the comfort, and none of out children ever complained.

post-98752-0-31974400-1412290389_thumb.j

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 2

GH ... I have kids, have car seats for them back in the west.

In Australia, the top of the seat is fastened to a bolt on what we refer to as the rear parcel shelf.

I'll post this and duck off and see if I can find an image for you.

latch_child_seat_404x300x16.png

Here is the Google Image search ... you will find lots more there ... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=anchor+points+baby+car+seat&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&biw=1024&bih=471&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SuwsVMjuBYKZuQSIz4HgBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Hope that helps.

We had two like this. They were great. Check the safety rating, best to buy one manufactured in the West. Our kids moved from this to booster seat. We felt pretty reassured, safety wise.

Always used the normal rear side seat and full seat belt. Oh and I chose to put it on the side behind the driver because of U-turns.

Haven't noticed the bit David has posted on our cars here and one is a Volvo which is meant to have everything safety wise.

I know in Australia cars come with the hole for the screw/bolt to attach the lug for the safety seat/capsule already there. You just open the boot and look up at the rear shelf from underneath and you should be able to see them, all you do then is make a cut to allow you to use it.

Location of the Lower anchor points on most cars are shown by a mark or button on the seat back, close to the seat. Top anchors are usually hidden behind a removable panel. If the car doesn't have either you can secure most child seats with a rear seat belt so long as it locks (done by fully extending the belt then waiting for the clicks as it retracts, but won't extend again) or the rear lap belt (least preferred option). I've used Chicco and Britax without any complaints.

I know in Australia cars come with the hole for the screw/bolt to attach the lug for the safety seat/capsule already there. You just open the boot and look up at the rear shelf from underneath and you should be able to see them, all you do then is make a cut to allow you to use it.

Known as an ISOFIX point. Googling ISOFIX points will bring up much information. Its the international standard for securing child seats. Not sure if all Thai manufactured cars will have them.

Edit: typos

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Like 1

We have a Maxi-cosi Pebbly (Stage 0 which is 0 to 9 months, approx)... It can be fixed with a seatbelt and also with an Isofix base.

The Isofix base remains a permanent fixture in the car (but can be removed in minutes when required). The rear facing seat simply slots directly onto the Isofix base.

(as the post above suggests - Run a google search for Isofix, most if not all modern cars now have the Isofix anchor points).

I found that quality Infant / Child car seats were almost half the price in the UK compared the same models in Thailand.

My next purchase will be a Britax Dualfix (forwards or rear facing Isofix). I intend to keep my child rear facing for as long as possible.

http://www.carseat.se/the-swedish-rear-facing-car-seat-approach/

We had a rear facing baby seat until 7 months when he outgrew it. It went in the rear left or right seat with seat belts. Very stable.

Now we have a bigger seat that allows more sitting up. It has a station secured with seat belts and the seat justs clicks in. He loves ir!

They do if they grow up with it and never learn any better.. The seat is also higher so they can see out the window much easier as well. My boys always felt more secure in them and loved them, never a problem because they were brought up in them.

I have just had my 3rd kid graduate from a Maxi Cosi car seat here, think the model was Priori XP. This one is fitted using the standard lap/sash seat belt, and as long as you fit it properly it seems very stable and secure. It has survived 3 kids, and likewise they have survived it so no complaints. My youngest has just graduated to a booster seat.

Image below should give you an idea of how it is installed.

post-145826-0-20474400-1412577978_thumb.

My kids don't go anywhere with out there car seats

I bought my car seats in Canada and took, them back to Thailand .

Sad story about car seats for kids . One of my neighboures about 10 years ago lost their son in a car accident when the child was thrown out of the car from the accident he was not wearing a seat belt .

The adults tat had seat belts suffered minor injuries .

I am so adamant about the car seats that one time I was at my wife's moms house and we were going to the beach about 50 Klms away .

They started taking the car seats out of my Fortunnr to make room for the masses .

I said no you do not the look I got from some of my wife's cousins was surprise or disbelief tat I woud not remove them so they could pack in .

They did talk to me a little in English and I expressed politely not going to happen

When it comes to my kids safety I don't care what any of her family thinks of me.

I never say much about things but when it comes to there safety there is no comprimise

Or any other person tat tries to remove the car seats ... Not going to happen