New Airport

libya 115

ok.. answer the original topic.

Yes, its safe. there are international organisations monitor and approve this airport for being used, u dont expect billion dollar airline to use this airport without international approval, dont u?

The opening date doesnt mean every airline will move the whole system over there, it takes months to prepare the whole system for each airline.

This is not HK int'l airport that had to move the whole things within 6 hours, thats a big challenge though.

Check with your airline where your flight will be landed.

Do not worry. nobody will take risk in things like this.

Donne,

Can you support any of your answers?

1. International Organization? The Government has already confirmed that airports do not need any international approval to operate.

2. Staggered opening. The Government has already confirmed that all commercial flights will move to the new airport on 28 September. There has been no talk about a gradual phase in.

Not saying that your replies are wrong, but from all published info so far the airport will open for all commercial flights on 28th September at 03:00.

I guess the trial flights tomorrow will hopefully clear up a lot.

PomMichael, u just pissed me off!!! u have to belive what i said!! i am demanding queen over here, got it?

first of all, do not believe anything PM said, he is and arshole whose never kept his word.

Ill check these organisations below and will let u know later, ok?

ACI - Airport Council International

ATAG - Air Transport Action Group IATA - International Air Transport Association

ICAO - International Civil Aviation Organization

Secondly, yes, i didnt say its not gonna not-operate on that day. i said it doesnt mean every airline will move to SBIA. its only some low cost airlines which is, of course, commercial flights. no doubt if its PM's airline, one 2 go.

anyway, if its not operate i will not be surprised after 40 years time of this project. it might be postponed again, who knows?

operations building still under decoration, still needs time for staff training. runway is fine, terminal is fine, main buildings are fine but not the small surrounded building.

ps. im not really angry. im listening to bbc1 and waiting for global gathering and my favorite djs...

hmmm, all right.

see? no worries about using this airport then if everything seems to happen in this way. what a plentiful information.

will add up one more

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

from what i read 'THAI will begin moving its offices from the Don Muang Airport in early September and will completely move to the new airport the night before its opening on September 28, according to the company's top management.'

if its true, well, speechless.

sorry but i still not believe they can make it perfectly after catering building was burnt and damage half a year ago.

Won't be any international flights that is a certainty. I talked with some lads from UAL/BA and they informed me that won't be any flights likely til next year. Airport hasnt been certified and I repeat no foreign airline will land there without IATA cert - smth do with insurance coverage or so I'm told. :o

Edited by britmaveric

hmmm, all right.

see? no worries about using this airport then if everything seems to happen in this way. what a plentiful information.

will add up one more

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/

from what i read 'THAI will begin moving its offices from the Don Muang Airport in early September and will completely move to the new airport the night before its opening on September 28, according to the company's top management.'

if its true, well, speechless.

sorry but i still not believe they can make it perfectly after catering building was burnt and damage half a year ago.

For lots of detail on the planned opening, with a wide range of permutations look here.

do not forget wether (a castrated male sheep)

Well, you learn something new every day :D

You mean a RAM cause male sheep dont...........never mind..forget it.... :o

Rinrada

Animal; Sheep

Daddy; Ram

Mummy; Ewe

Baby; Lamb

Not daddy, (missing bits); Wether, (good for meat and wool not much else.)

My main concern about the new aiport is transportation. For the last five years I have had the good fortune of only living about 20 minutes from Don Muang, and being able to get there for 15 baht. As such I was able to do the three monthly visa runs, by plane. Now that will most definetely be a thing of the past, with a couple hours travelling time each way, plus the cost of a taxi, I would be much better off with the bus to Cambodia. I wonder how long it will be before there is any decent public transport to the new airport? Years I suspect!

My main concern about the new aiport is transportation. For the last five years I have had the good fortune of only living about 20 minutes from Don Muang, and being able to get there for 15 baht. As such I was able to do the three monthly visa runs, by plane. Now that will most definetely be a thing of the past, with a couple hours travelling time each way, plus the cost of a taxi, I would be much better off with the bus to Cambodia. I wonder how long it will be before there is any decent public transport to the new airport? Years I suspect!

I suggest that you use astral projection.

This is a minor problem 'Marquess'; do you value money so highly? 15 baht might now become 300 baht. It will not kill you, it will not harm you! It would do you no harm to visit Cambodia and contribute a few baht into the hands of the poor.

Do what thou wilt.

I'm no expert on Bangkok traffic, but the last time I went from Don Muang to the vacinity of the new airport, it was only 30 minutes by taxi. Not sure what the meter was at that point, but probably no more than 200 baht, plus toll charges. So I'm not sure where you get the "couple hours travelling time each way" from. If you're paying to fly vs. take a bus, I wouldn't think a couple hundred baht would make that much of a difference.

True, the current travel time to the new airport is a breeze (20-30 minutes) from my place in Pratunam. One reason is because there aren't X,000 other people trying to get out to the new airport daily yet. Fortunately I also have a place in Bangkapi, only about 15 kilometers from the new airport.

:o

I also posted this in travel forum.

Hi all :o ,

Yesterday I had a chance to visit the new airport out there at the fringe of the city. After all those gossips and news you may have heard, the entire airport is, no doubt, going to be grand and invoking pride in many hearts of Thais; however, ONLY ONCE IT IS TRUELY AND COMPLETELY FINISHED AND CERTIFIED. You can expect problems here and there from now on, hopefully small ones that do not require complexity to fix. Personally, I think the design, particularly the interior design, although having the grandeur feeling about it, is a little bit off, for me anyway. I am not saying it is not beautiful. It is just not my cup of tea, particularly the roof structure that reminds me of huge industrial factory. Not to mention the white canvas! How and how often you need to keep cleaning it!!

Anyway, enough about bitching and back to the topic, I just want to add that, for those of you who need to get to or travel from the new airport, there are now public BMTA bus lines that can take you, if you don't have personal transportion and don't want to pay too much for a taxi ride. (Although I heard it would cost about 150-160 Baht one-way a taxi ride via the Express Way, plus 50 Baht toll fee.)

There are several bus lines, both local and express buses. One of them is express bus line connecting Don Muang and Suvarnaphumi. I would choose the express one though if I were you, to avoid the notorious traffic jam of BKK. Here is the web site for more information:

http://www.bmta.co.th/index.htm

N.B. Unfortunately, I don't think they put it up in English yet.

The best bet, if you live in central Bangkok, would be to ride a BTS sky train to Victory Monument Station. Then catch a Suvarnabhumi Airport bus, 551, from the old Fashion Mall/Robinson Department Store side. Number 551 will run from Victory Monument, entering Express Way in Din Daeng, via Rama IX and the Eastern Sea Board (BKK-Chonburi) Motorway, to Suvarnabhumi Airport. The fare to the new airport is only 35 Baht one-way, and it does not take long to get there, with the express/motorway and all. Just a reminder, these buses are not really equipped with overhead luggage compartment or any specific storage area for bags. So, if you have big bags or packages you need to carry with you, it's best to call a cab.

Just to give you an alternative, for those who worry about how to travel to the new airport, with the airport rail link won't be finished in a couple of years and all. (And that is a shame!!)

...If you're paying to fly vs. take a bus, I wouldn't think a couple hundred baht would make that much of a difference.

If you pay S$ 2 (Baht 48) for your flight SIN-BKK or Baht 900 from Sydney to LOS than for sure

price of ground transportation gets important.

...If you're paying to fly vs. take a bus, I wouldn't think a couple hundred baht would make that much of a difference.

If you pay S$ 2 (Baht 48) for your flight SIN-BKK or Baht 900 from Sydney to LOS than for sure

price of ground transportation gets important.

Outside of some special promotion, where are you ever going to find fares approaching those levels? Even the airport departure tax is more than that.

Speaking of departure taxes, I just saw that the departure tax at the new airport is going to be 1,200 baht. So I guess for some maybe that'll be definite deal-breaker if a few hundred baht is so important. For me, given the option of flying vs. taking a bus, I'd choose flying everytime unless the cost was ridiculously expensive. I just can't see spending hours riding on a bumpy bus to save a few hundred baht, but then I realize that for some money is very tight.

I'm flying out on Sept 28th early in the morning. could be the first flight out for all i know. should be exciting.... but as far as the guy flying the plane not wanting to die, remember the plane crash in phuket (or was it ko samui?) a few years ago in the storm? that poor guy didnt want to die either, but apparently was told not to return to bangkok. he tried 3 times to land the plane. safety is not first and foremost in the minds of any business here, including airlines.

it occurred in koh samui. the co-pilot was a friend of my ex-wife.

they could not have been that close, it was surat thani in 98 i think. I was booked and missed the flight.