Will you go to Koh Tao?

canuckamuck

Will you go to Koh Tao?  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Grow up, drama Queens.

Koh Tao is no more corrupt or dangerous than any other Thai destination.

We do, however, have some real evidence for once. A push for the British Authorities to flex a little muscle (none of that pathetic "oh Britain is nothing", still a top 10 global economy at the moment) and demand that they can verify the results of the DNA testing themselves as it involves 2 British subjects. Once that is done and the evidence is published I'll take my whole family there. This year I think I'll have to write off a holiday to Koh Tao.

How many people won't get that it isn't about our safety but about our ability to have a voice and make a change. Is this too much for you?

Yes we have a voice, but do you think a few whinging Westerners is going to eradicate generations of endemic ''Thainess''..?? Not in your lifetime, my lifetime or my childrens' lifetime.

Again... grow up!

Where am I being immature?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not see why it would present a problem to go. After what has happened, and the subsequent scrutiny by the police and public, I would think that the island would be one of the safest in the country. Let's put it this way, I find it highly unlikely that there would be a repeat of what occurred anytime in the near future.

Gee, the only hole I see in your logic is if the perpetrators actually got away with it . . . .

Other than the fact that there has not been a trial yet...

If you know who the perpetrators are you should go to the police and point them out.

It wasn't on my list but now I would not even consider it. I know what had happened there has put a bad taste in many mouths but come to think of it, would this same senario not had happened anywhere else in Thailand? Just something to put out there.

It would and has.

I expect they're worried.

'Oh no! We're being boycotted by a load of grumpy expats who weren't going to come here anyway!'

Exactly.. No bias in the poll either...

I tried to make it fair, let me know how it is biased.

There's one option for yes, and four for no?

• Like 1

I couldn't think of different reasons for yes that made any difference. But I though a simple yes no was also misleading. I felt if people expanded on the reason for no it would be revealing. I gave them a chance to say no for reasons other than recent events.

Every poll has it's flaws though.

• Like 1

I couldn't think of different reasons for yes that made any difference. But I though a simple yes no was also misleading. I felt if people expanded on the reason for no it would be revealing. I gave them a chance to say no for reasons other than recent events.

Every poll has it's flaws though.

So far 312 votes... 22 'yes i will go there' ...roughly 7 %

Last time I went to Koh Tao it seemed to be popular with young backpackers. Do they tend to read threads here, do you think?

The audience sampled is Thai Visa readership. I can't control who is or isn't in that demographic.

Did you think I was under some illusion of power and influence here?

Last time I went to Koh Tao it seemed to be popular with young backpackers. Do they tend to read threads here, do you think?

I'd assume they do. TVF threads are often on the first page of Google's search results. Young people do know how to use it.

I'd assume they do. TVF threads are often on the first page of Google's search results. Young people do know how to use it.

Google "Koh Tao", and see how long it takes for a Thaivisa page to come up. I got bored after page 5...

I do not see why it would present a problem to go. After what has happened, and the subsequent scrutiny by the police and public, I would think that the island would be one of the safest in the country. Let's put it this way, I find it highly unlikely that there would be a repeat of what occurred anytime in the near future.

Gee, the only hole I see in your logic is if the perpetrators actually got away with it . . . .

If you know who the perpetrators are you should go to the police and point them out.

You lost me jdinasia, what did either one of our posts say which made you think we knew the perpetrators but did not know there had been no trial?

Google "Koh Tao", and see how long it takes for a Thaivisa page to come up. I got bored after page 5...

This will be very different in a few weeks time once the major news organisations stop publishing stories about the Koh Tao rape murder.

Try a google search for 'rape murder' and see what comes up.

Edited by ukrules

You lost me jdinasia, what did either one of our posts say which made you think we knew the perpetrators but did not know there had been no trial?

You say the perpetrators got away with it.

Koh Tao forum is the second hit. That's what I google for when planning a trip, independent opinions.

Well me and the misses have been scrimping and saving for a year now, we jet off for Koh Tao next month with the intention of staying for around 9-12 months. With everything that has happened, it has worried me a little but we have literally put everything into this move, it is too late for us to back out now.

I have been to Koh Tao before and obviously I'm going again. I just feel that even though this tragedy has happened, it is still a beautiful island with good people living there and independent businesses that rely on tourists. It's not fair to just condemn a whole island/community just because this crime has occurred.

It all has put me in a difficult position. I am financially invested into the move, but I am also concerned about the safety of myself and more importantly, my misses. This being said, we are going and I can't wait!

It's a beautiful island with the majority of people being good, and I'm going to be underwater most of the time anyway.

• Like 1

Well me and the misses have been scrimping and saving for a year now, we jet off for Koh Tao next month with the intention of staying for around 9-12 months. With everything that has happened, it has worried me a little but we have literally put everything into this move, it is too late for us to back out now.

I have been to Koh Tao before and obviously I'm going again. I just feel that even though this tragedy has happened, it is still a beautiful island with good people living there and independent businesses that rely on tourists. It's not fair to just condemn a whole island/community just because this crime has occurred.

It all has put me in a difficult position. I am financially invested into the move, but I am also concerned about the safety of myself and more importantly, my misses. This being said, we are going and I can't wait!

It's a beautiful island with the majority of people being good, and I'm going to be underwater most of the time anyway.

In my day, as a school child, if one class member broke the rules but was not caught - the whole class was punished until they gave him up!

Do you think that the locals don't know who did this?

Do you think this is the first, only and last time it will happen?

When there is no punishment, there is no incentive to change behaviour!

If they are rewarded with more tourists (marks) they are given to go ahead to continue.

Hope you are safe on your holiday.

To the pure, all things are pure.

Edited by laislica

In my day, as a school child, if one class member broke the rules but was not caught - the whole class was punished until they gave him up!

If they are rewarded with more tourists (marks) they are given to go ahead to continue.

You are aware that collective punishment is both wrong and illegal, aren't you??

You are aware that collective punishment is both wrong and illegal, aren't you??
How so?

Surely it's not fair to punish hard working people that need the tourism to live, look after their families etc. Even if some people do know something, not everyone will. You're suggesting something that the Nazis did during the war.

Think of the children!

I visit koh Tao 20 years ago the first time by that time you had max 50 visitors at a time there and it was a great place for diving - 10 years ago I gave up diving there because nothing much to see anymore due to environmental issues also most of the dive schools gave up - 4 years ago I visit the last time and said good bye never again- because the island changed unbearable for me now there are thousands of visitors at any given time - same I decided for koh samui and koh phanangan but quite some longer time ago

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's a means to an end for me. Besides its still going to be better than sitting in this office being a Tree Officer for the council. I'm also into my technical diving, caves are my bag.

• Like 1

How so?

How so? Really??

It violates the basic principles of justice.

We are not in kindergarten. Punishing the innocent to force them to sacrifice someone is as wrong as extracting confessions by force.

How so?

How so? Really??

It violates the basic principles of justice.

We are not in kindergarten. Punishing the innocent to force them to sacrifice someone is as wrong as extracting confessions by force.

So how does accessory before or after the fact work then?

Surely it's not fair to punish hard working people that need the tourism to live, look after their families etc. Even if some people do know something, not everyone will. You're suggesting something that the Nazis did during the war.

Think of the children!

More recently... Blockade of Gaza.