Food court tables

SoiBiker

If I go to any bangkok foodcourt at 12 midday I will expect to see 30-50% of the tables occupied by items such as:

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

One of them will also have my umbrella. If someone took my table I would tell them to please move and if they did not I would accidentally spill my soup on them. I actually live in hope of being able to do this. 45 baht very well spent in a lesson in manners.

People leaving their 20,000 Baht iPhone unattended to 'reserve' a table while they go browse food stalls and then stand in line for a 40 baht plate of noodles? Yeah ok dude

• Like 1

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I go to any bangkok foodcourt at 12 midday I will expect to see 30-50% of the tables occupied by items such as:

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

Exactly, and that's why it's ugly, uncouth behavior. So what if the locals do it, they're hardly a paragon of good manners. If so many tables are put out of use, no wonder people have trouble finding an empty one.

In Singapore it's also quite common (called "choping") but it's frowned upon and they have campaigns against it. It's a bit of a nanny state, but at least there's a core of people there who care about manners instead of all about me, me, me (like the OP).

I guess the OP also reserves chairs by the hotel pool when he goes on holiday? And leaves a trash can on his favorite parking space at the condo?

Edited by sundrenched
  • Like 1

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

Exactly, and that's why it's ugly, uncouth behavior. So what if the locals do it, they're hardly a paragon of good manners. If so many tables are put out of use, no wonder people have trouble finding an empty one.

Is it really our place as incomers to decide what is good or bad manners in someone else's country?

• Like 1

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

Is it really our place as incomers to decide what is good or bad manners in someone else's country?

I really don't know why you waste your time, SB

My pet hate - sometimes- is the chair and/or table itself ---how many time have you sat down for a meal to find you are just about chin height to the table --a bit of an exaggeration--but you know what I mean mad.gif

Hey, Buckaroo, no, I can't really say I know what you mean. Sitting down at a table to find you are just about chin height to the table???!! What?!

I think he is inferring he is a midget

Don't be so discriminatory he could be a midget, dwarf, gnome or even a hobbit.

Or maybe a fairy ???

I can't help but notice how so many people spend there lives " complaining about everything " Life is short just enjoy it and stop moaning! I myself am a rather " Chirpy Character " with a positive attitude to life! ( nothing worse than being surrounded by negative and miserable people! )

Farang (Chirpy) Jaidee w00t.gif

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

One of them will also have my umbrella. If someone took my table I would tell them to please move and if they did not I would accidentally spill my soup on them. I actually live in hope of being able to do this. 45 baht very well spent in a lesson in manners.

People leaving their 20,000 Baht iPhone unattended to 'reserve' a table while they go browse food stalls and then stand in line for a 40 baht plate of noodles? Yeah ok dude

Agreed. Most leave Gold Bullion, 500kg blocks. They are difficult to carry away and the more you possess the bigger your face gets.

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

How about copying the behavior of the locals with manners and a sense of community unstead of an ugly minority? If I go to Liverpool on Saturday night, should I urinate and vomit on the street and get in fights, because that's what locals do? I've seen the same behavior in Finland and Singapore, but it's still considered unsociable behavior by the majority.

You think it makes more sense to walk around looking for a seat with a tray of food going cold?

I avoid the peak times and courts that don't have enough tables. In the past (when I was studying in Finland and our student canteen got overrun between 12 and 1) it never was a big issue, although a constant irritation seeing many tables sit empty for 15 minutes while others walk around with a tray. If everyone stopped doing that, the patrons as a group would be much better off.

Your own attitude is premised on this being acceptable behavior in Thailand, but is it really so? It's a question, not an insinuation, and I'll ask some Thais about it. If you google "choping" and Singapore, you'll see soon enough that many people consider it ugly behavior. That said, sometimes I really wonder if it is just self-defeating to be polite and considerate and always say "after you!", when too many others have an elbows out mentality. It has struck me a couple of times when I gave way to someone, and then they take their sweeeeeeet time clearing the area. Still, I rather not be like them.

• Like 1

I don't see it as my place here to 'educate' the locals. I just go with the flow.

Educate the locals ?

Farang arrogance at its ThaiVisa best, makes me sick, I want to be in a food court when you try to educate me or my kin, you will have a whole new thread to write.

I was trying to educate the locals when this 6' 3" inch 105 KG Farang put me on my azz, picked up my Bike and snapped it in half, OMG what can I do ?

Don't forget to spank the troll's little botty.

I don't see it as my place here to 'educate' the locals. I just go with the flow.

Educate the locals ?

Farang arrogance at its ThaiVisa best, makes me sick, I want to be in a food court when you try to educate me or my kin, you will have a whole new thread to write.

I was trying to educate the locals when this 6' 3" inch 105 KG Farang put me on my azz, picked up my Bike and snapped it in half, OMG what can I do ?

Don't forget to spank the troll's little botty.

That"s part of the package. smile.png

Educate the locals ?

I was trying to educate the locals when this 6' 3" inch 105 KG Farang put me on my azz, picked up my Bike and snapped it in half, OMG what can I do, can Farangs like this be educated to my liking ?

Maybe you need to calm down and read that post again. I said I don't want to educate the locals.

• Like 1

Well I have just returned from the food hall in Big C Pattaya Klang-it was bloody rammed! " a full house" viewers! I spotted so many old white farang that It looked more like the cast of " Cocoon " the movie......

Farang Jaidee x

• Like 1

Well I have just returned from the food hall in Big C Pattaya Klang-it was bloody rammed! " a full house" viewers! I spotted so many old white farang that It looked more like the cast of " Cocoon " the movie......

Farang Jaidee x

Funny line about 'cast of cocoon.'

But seriously canarysun...... 6000 baht/mo living expenses?? This claim of yours has kept me up at night for over a fortnight.

Have to ask...........

Where are you sleeping in Pattaya..........on the beach?

Edited by Gecko123

Farang Jaidee x

But seriously canarysun...... 6000 baht/mo living expenses?? This claim of yours has kept me up at night for over a fortnight.

Have to ask...........

Naklua : room inc bathroom WiFi (fast) and 100 Sat TV channels ( I don't watch TV...) Water/electric 500 baht on top!
  • Like 1

There are so many things that are just wrong about arriving at a public place where there are many people there ahead of you and assuming you can reserve a table when you have not yet purchased any food. "Other people do it" is no excuse.

Tables are for eating at not to be held in abeyance for 20 minutes while someone wanders around collecting their food.

The fact that the OP continues to agravate himself by arriving when he knows the place is busy only shows he has limited abilities in the "dealing with life" department.

"Wandering around w/ your food getting cold" oh boo hoo hoo.

enuff said

~

• Like 1

umbrellas

iphones

tablets

bags

ID necklace badges

Pads of paper

etc

Good manners are good manners. Wasting resources you're not using is bad manners. Next thing you'll be saying it's OK because the Germans do it.

The way I see it, most food court tables are big enough for two, anyway

SC

I have very flexible hours so it's no problem at all for me to go either before 12 or after 1.30. I dislike overcrowded spaces anyway and rather enjoy my meal in a relaxed ambiance. If I had really no choice, I'd rather buy the food and eat it at my desk at leisure while doing some websurfing.

And just to defend my TV honor after admitting I eat at food courts: I'm a farang who mingles with hi-so Thais but my innate humility and down-to-earthness causes me to eat at foodcourts a few times a week. Some have great food and ambiance, like the one on the 5th floor of Emporium or Amarin Plaza. The latter also has a "bar" area with stools for people eating by themselves, and space is never a problem.

Farang Jaidee x

Have to ask...........

Naklua : room inc bathroom WiFi (fast) and 100 Sat TV channels ( I don't watch TV...) Water/electric 500 baht on top!

Do you get to pick the bottom?