Army officers to hear out people in communities

Lite Beer

Army officers to hear out people in communities
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Hundreds of military officers from the First Army Region will be dispatched to Bangkok and its outskirts to communicate and "establish understanding" with the people as part of the second-stage roadmap to reconciliation set by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

First Army Region commander Lt-General Kampanat Ruddit said yesterday that he would send officers from the civil security operation unit.

The unit consists of 335 officers and will be split into sub-units of five officials each. Each sub-unit will be sent into communities within the areas to listen to peoples' concerns and cooperate with other public organisations, such as police and district administration in order to promptly solve people's problems, said the general.

It also looks to establish a correct understanding of democracy. "The aim of this mission is to create reconciliation and an atmosphere that can lead to a general election," Kampanat said.

The NCPO is looking to listen to people's concerns in all areas, including their administrative work, he pointed out.

One of the most recent concerns has been that part of the economic stimulus package to spend Bt40 billion on rice farmers is similar to the Yingluck government's "populist" policies, which was subject to widespread criticism in the past. The First Army chief said NCPO is willing to collect opinion from all people and they will be presented during the monthly conference between the government and the NCPO.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-officers-to-hear-out-people-in-communities-30244757.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-04

Why Bangkok and its surrounds? It sounds as though the PM wants 'populist policies' for Bangkok?

The rice farmers are excluded from the debate...curiously curious and even curiouser and curiouser , said Alice.

This seems like asking 17% of the taxed population how they should be spending 100% of the money.

Typical top-down thinking that caused the political divide to begin with. Thaksin was a symptom (and not a symptom I like at all). But Thais neither like nor understand the "symptom versus cause" paradigm.

Cheap plastic bandages cannot fix it.

"The new laws make it so protests can only last one day (after we allow protests) which, accidentally, keeps anyone from protesting in Bangkok -- once we allow protests, of course. But we are worried that the people who might protest in Bangkok's streets later might not like the idea of us helping anyone outside Bangkok, so we are going to have an unofficial survey to see that the people who are the minority still know they still control the majority."

Curious thinking that the Junta believes it can "establish understanding with the people" for the sake of harmony and peace while it continues to impose MARTIAL LAW, retain ABSOLUTE POWER over the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of Government, and WITHHOLD from the People a Constitution to guarantee their human rights. I would expect even the People of Bangkok have some dignity and honor as Thai citizens to expect more than a communist-style rule.

• Like 1

Troops To ‘Create Understanding’ With Bangkokians

BY Khaosod Eng.

BANGKOK — The army is planning to dispatch over 300 soldiers to Bangkok to help the public "correctly" understand the political situation in Thailand.

Lt.Gen. Kampanart Dutdith, commander of the 1st Region Army, said today that 335 soldiers from five different army units will "create understanding" with Bangkokians and people in neighboring provinces.

"We want them to understand the monarchy and democracy in a correct way," Lt.Gen. Kampanart told reporters yesterday. "Also, we want to tell people how to respond to new types of threats against society."

He did not elaborate on what those threats are, but said the public should not view the soldiers with suspicion, as their goal is merely to ensure that any societal problems are solved in an efficient manner.

"We will also listen to opinions from the public and hear their complaints," Lt.Gen. Kampanart said.

Asked whether the military junta will repeal martial law any time soon, Lt.Gen. Kampanart replied that the matter is still under consideration by authorities. He stressed that martial law is necessary to prevent "unimaginable things" from happening.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1412401143

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-04

Is there any translation to Thai language for the terms 'Blockwart' and 'Gestapo' ?

I think it is pronounced Lupatria. Not sure could be wrong.

While I am here I was wondering if they would send some here to Chiang Mai? Seems strange that they just send them in close to Bangkok. I hope they are not going to revert to the previous administration where flood all of Thailand if you have to but don't let Bangkok get flooded.

I like that they will listen to complaints. Just hope they take them serious. Providing they are based on fact.

Say what you want but this is defiantly a landmark event in Thailand. It may turn out to be a scam but it is the first time in Thailand's history that they are coming to the people to explain and ask if there is some thing wrong. A big step forward for Thailand.wai.gif

• Like 1

Curious thinking that the Junta believes it can "establish understanding with the people" for the sake of harmony and peace while it continues to impose MARTIAL LAW, retain ABSOLUTE POWER over the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of Government, and WITHHOLD from the People a Constitution to guarantee their human rights. I would expect even the People of Bangkok have some dignity and honor as Thai citizens to expect more than a communist-style rule.

Well it is defiantly not Democratic but it is necessary to set the government up in such a way that it can be a Democracy.

I am in no way saying it is a dictatorship.

The previous administration was closer to a dictatorship than this one. The difference being that the previous one was working towards it where as this one is working away from it.

Bottom line no matter what they accomplish in the year they have before the election Thailand will be far better off than if the army had done nothing but sit on the sidelines.wai.gif

He stressed that martial law is necessary to prevent "unimaginable things" from happening.

hmmm, what could that be?

But I now know that the right answer is "I cannot possibly imagine".

Gotta write that on the palm of my hand.

I guess i know what it means. But i won't explain it. Not so far in the future, we will be happy that Thailand still is under the martial law.

It would be interesting to hear the currents governments description of democracy. How exactly hope to define something they have not got.

It would have been equally interesting to have heard the previous goverments description of democracy too. They didn't seem to have it either.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would be interesting to hear the currents governments description of democracy. How exactly hope to define something they have not got.

It's the same system as in Saudi Arabia. You petition the centrally appointed local administrator. Not exactly the cutting edge of equitable governance.

I wonder how many people really believe the current government thinks it is perfect and needs no further improvement.

I firmly believe some of the posters just post as a back handed cheer for the PTP.

They obviously have not paid attention to what the current government is doing and hopes to accomplish.

In no way what so ever has the current government said it is perfect. It has even changed it's mind when shown the err of it's ways and laid out a schedule to return to an elected government. It is there hope that they will have a system for election for a democratic government not a cover up for a dictatorship such as they just threw out.

They are not hiding any thing they openly admit there will still be much to do when they are gone.