Koh Tao's other little secret: police extortion

Lite Beer

Hear, hear!

In Pattaya there is that story where some lump sum of THB 30'000 were shelled to avoid trouble in a Jomtien restaurant employing aliens illegally. Once that was settled the monthly "turn-the-head-the-other-way-round-fee" is THB 1'500. Combined with the THB 500 the alien pays ......... just wondering where all that money goes crazy.gif

Nice big houses for themselves and their families wink.png

post-193242-0-95178300-1412501620_thumb.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear, hear!

In Pattaya there is that story where some lump sum of THB 30'000 were shelled to avoid trouble in a Jomtien restaurant employing aliens illegally. Once that was settled the monthly "turn-the-head-the-other-way-round-fee" is THB 1'500. Combined with the THB 500 the alien pays ......... just wondering where all that money goes crazy.gif

Come on between them they could open a Mercedes dealership !

Yes, you're dead right - "where there's a will there's a way" but in Koh Tao, apparently Koh Samui, and possibly the rest of Thailand, the will seems to be lacking! As I see it the WHOLE system is corrupt, and to change that as hgma says "Can't be done in a year", but how about starting off with the KNOWN sources of corruption e.g. the extortion monies already mentioned, also the sporadic spot checks and on the spot 300 baht fines for no helmet while driving a motor bike, but 500 baht if you want a receipt! Blatant! 2 queues, and guess which is the shortest?

Reform has nothing to do with Change, so much is clear.
Since the start with Change will need a complete lockdown on law enforcement, in order to change the existing force into a normal functioning democratic police force.
Can't be done in a year!

sure about that?

Quote wikipedia: "In 2005. Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili fired "the entire traffic police force" of the Georgian National Police due to corruption,[2] numbering around 30,000 police officers.[3]

A new force was built around new recruits.[2]The United States State Department's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law-Enforcement Affairs has provided assistance to the training efforts.[4] Patruli was first introduced in the summer of 2005 replacing the traffic police, which were accused of corruption.[5]"

currently there are 42,000 serving police officers

source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Georgia_(country)

where there is a will there is a way.

Yes, you're dead right - "where there's a will there's a way" but in Koh Tao, apparently Koh Samui, and possibly the rest of Thailand, the will seems to be lacking! As I see it the WHOLE system is corrupt, and to change that as hgma says "Can't be done in a year", but how about starting off with the KNOWN sources of corruption e.g. the extortion monies already mentioned, also the sporadic spot checks and on the spot 300 baht fines for no helmet while driving a motor bike, but 500 baht if you want a receipt! Blatant! 2 queues, and guess which is the shortest?

Since the start with Change will need a complete lockdown on law enforcement, in order to change the existing force into a normal functioning democratic police force.

Can't be done in a year!

sure about that?

Quote wikipedia: "In 2005. Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili fired "the entire traffic police force" of the Georgian National Police due to corruption,[2] numbering around 30,000 police officers.[3]

A new force was built around new recruits.[2]The United States State Department's Bureau of International Narcotics and Law-Enforcement Affairs has provided assistance to the training efforts.[4] Patruli was first introduced in the summer of 2005 replacing the traffic police, which were accused of corruption.[5]"

Now that's what I call leading from the front !

Only here in Thailand the government would want to be willing to consider something like this when they have already illustrated they are happy to turn a blind eye to Koh Taos shenanigans. Not only that but publicly step forward and praise it. An embarrassment for the country.

each 'illegal' has to pay police Bt500 a month. And if they want to use a motorcycle, that's another Bt500 a month to get around the driver's licence issue.

Why is it...the "Nation" can make allegations of police extortion...and get away with it...but posters are not allowed to...why the double standard?

• Like 2

each 'illegal' has to pay police Bt500 a month. And if they want to use a motorcycle, that's another Bt500 a month to get around the driver's licence issue.

Why is it...the "Nation" can make allegations of police extortion...and get away with it...but posters are not allowed to...why the double standard?

blink.png ? IMO, TV members do a bang up job grassing up the BiB.

This is happening On Koh Samui 100 fold. My company hires some Burmese worker and we do all the Legal work permits for them. But that being said I know of Many other companies that hire illegal Burmese worker and the Immigration on Samui take their fees for the illegal worker as well. I still do not understand why the authorities and Military are not coming to Koh Samui to clean it up as they have done on Phuket. And why they are turning a blind eye here, And it has nothing to do with Suthup... Koh Samui Needs Help... Help...

Some Years ago the Authority's send a police force from BKK to clean up the Police in Koh Smui and one night they found all there cars were burned out, that's why.......

This is happening On Koh Samui 100 fold. My company hires some Burmese worker and we do all the Legal work permits for them. But that being said I know of Many other companies that hire illegal Burmese worker and the Immigration on Samui take their fees for the illegal worker as well. I still do not understand why the authorities and Military are not coming to Koh Samui to clean it up as they have done on Phuket. And why they are turning a blind eye here, And it has nothing to do with Suthup... Koh Samui Needs Help... Help...

Some Years ago the Authority's send a police force from BKK to clean up the Police in Koh Smui and one night they found all there cars were burned out, that's why.......

Is this a true story ? Surely not.

It never made the newspapers but on Samui, everybody knows...well at least all the people that were around at that time....

Terrible to think this is 2014 and this kind of stuff is going on, but where to start, what about sll these cheap Burmese works, working for a pittance ??? So so sad to exploit people like that..

Once again 2014 ???? We could all go on and on, but that's how things work here, who are we to voice our opinions we are just , Foreigners, who choose to live here...

But it saddens me what I see and hear, my heart goes out to a lot of people here, something I was not totally aware of until I lived here full time... Am I glad i was born and educated in my home Country...

• Like 1

I first went to Koh Samui 25 years ago and it was the Sicily of S.E. Asia then. All the business was carved up amongst a handful of families. Everything from songthaew to port shipping, bars, protection, migrant workers, drugs, the lot. The police are mere staff of the mafia as are the local government administration. All of this so-called reform since the new regime came in is mere window dressing. There is no reform, nor will there be. This is all about re-distribution of the spoils. And of course there may need to be some rearranging of the furniture in the avery.

It never made the newspapers but on Samui, everybody knows...well at least all the people that were around at that time....

This story of intimidation takes the cake and illustrates that Bangkok is too scared of taking control of these lawless islands. If there was ever evidence of this here it is !

This is shocking that the bib would simply pack up shop, cower down and run back to Bangkok !

Am I missing something - are these islands not under the jurisdiction of the capital?

• Like 1

Just a few months back so many TV members were lauding the new kid in town , this guy is different they shouted , well looks like same same to me !

I'll put my hand up. I was one of them.

After this fiasco on Koh Tao I m merely saddened for Thailand.

More of same same but same.

The type of corruption you are describing is a 'convenience' that serves the community well.

It is when the greedy get involved in high stakes crime that things start to get a little - out of hand, and innocents get banged up. (Drugs, Gambling, Sex trade, Contract killing, etc.)

But of course the most damage is done at the very top, where cronyism and nepotism define big business and politcians alike (several are one and the same). There are also many, very rich generals here as we have recently discovered, so all sectors of the 'elite' seem to be happy. (0.1% of Thais own +50% of the nation's wealth).

The gap between rich and poor is greater here than most western countries, so perhaps it would be better to get money out of politics, than stopping a cop pocketing 200 baht and saving you the bother of getting ticketed 500 baht laugh.png

Story time...... A few years back, i used to have a Thai girlfriend whom i suspected was dealing drugs. Initially i suspected it was the local (Dark skinned) lads supplying her in Soi 7. Anyway after raising hell in (New Wave bar) with the ensuing roll outside complete with bird in the melee, i went home and thought nothing about it. Luckily when the RTP (Single) copper turned up at my house the land lady was there and quickly realised that this copper was not intent on interviewing me, rather to introduce some led into my body. Luckily the Chinese land lady whose Grand father was a personal friend of Chang Kai shek, informed the copper that if he didn't sling his hook, she would make sure that he would end up writing parking tickets for the rest of his life. Duly the cop legged it, the land lady asked me to go for a two week holiday just to let things calm down....... Anyway while i was gone, another little gem of the RTP turned up, namely a parcel pick up request at the main post office on Charoenkrung. The land lady once again saved my ass by informing me it was the old scam of picking up a parcel containing something rather nasty placed there by the BIB again with the purpose of inviting me on a long time stay at the Bangkok Hilton......... Gotta give him his due, he was a persistant soul......... Anyway i later realised that the supplier of drugs to my girlfriend was not the local dark lads, but none other than the RTP on Sukhumvit......... I later lost two mates to these animals, one jumped out of a window, and one ended up with 26 years in Khlong prem, solely for the reason that they had stepped onto the coppers patch, Sukhumvit.......... Corruption in Thailand ? From the top to the bottom x 10......... The RTP supplying dealers on the street in Sukhumvit.......... Who'd of thought that eh ????????? Good night, sweet dreams......

Same situation in Samui.

Story time...... A few years back, i used to have a Thai girlfriend whom i suspected was dealing drugs. Initially i suspected it was the local (Dark skinned) lads supplying her in Soi 7. Anyway after raising hell in (New Wave bar) with the ensuing roll outside complete with bird in the melee, i went home and thought nothing about it. Luckily when the RTP (Single) copper turned up at my house the land lady was there and quickly realised that this copper was not intent on interviewing me, rather to introduce some led into my body. Luckily the Chinese land lady whose Grand father was a personal friend of Chang Kai shek, informed the copper that if he didn't sling his hook, she would make sure that he would end up writing parking tickets for the rest of his life. Duly the cop legged it, the land lady asked me to go for a two week holiday just to let things calm down....... Anyway while i was gone, another little gem of the RTP turned up, namely a parcel pick up request at the main post office on Charoenkrung. The land lady once again saved my ass by informing me it was the old scam of picking up a parcel containing something rather nasty placed there by the BIB again with the purpose of inviting me on a long time stay at the Bangkok Hilton......... Gotta give him his due, he was a persistant soul......... Anyway i later realised that the supplier of drugs to my girlfriend was not the local dark lads, but none other than the RTP on Sukhumvit......... I later lost two mates to these animals, one jumped out of a window, and one ended up with 26 years in Khlong prem, solely for the reason that they had stepped onto the coppers patch, Sukhumvit.......... Corruption in Thailand ? From the top to the bottom x 10......... The RTP supplying dealers on the street in Sukhumvit.......... Who'd of thought that eh ????????? Good night, sweet dreams......

Same situation in Samui.

Once in their sights you are lucky to get away from bib it seems. Blessed by god to send you the Chinese neighbour as your guardian angel

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mates though

That's a bit rough indeed.

"After all, no one in their right mind believes that the authorities don't know about this extortion and other irregularities. It's really sad that they have to wait for the gruesome murder of two British nationals to do something about it."

I believe that this is a very unfair statement: The new 'regime' of General Prayuth has only been in charge for a few months and took some time in forming itself into a cohesive administration, a process which is ongoing as we speak.

It is nonsensical to presume that these people (the new regime) can be expected to change all the wrongs (and there are many) in this Kingdom overnight.

Give Peace a Chance !

Give Prayuth a Chance !

thumbsup.gif

So the army moved over here to put up a show?

Did you marry him?

even in Bangkok the sight of Suthep's militia made them s...in their pants, why 'd they bother them over here.

Can't be done in a year!

sure about that?

7-8 years ago Thaksin also made a great cleansing of corrupt cops. Many had to leave.

Really? Are you serious? I had no idea and do not believe it happened or if it "apparently did happen" then it was a cover story for another reason

• Like 1

Well it must be apparent to people in the Western world that the RTP are rotten to the core.

It is not that the Western world knows - it seems that Thailand does not want to know! And, so far, do not want to STOP THE CORRUPTION. But I guess, sadly, Thai authorities do not or cannot read English language Thai Visa Forum.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by lvr181

"After all, no one in their right mind believes that the authorities don't know about this extortion and other irregularities. It's really sad that they have to wait for the gruesome murder of two British nationals to do something about it."

I believe that this is a very unfair statement: The new 'regime' of General Prayuth has only been in charge for a few months and took some time in forming itself into a cohesive administration, a process which is ongoing as we speak.

It is nonsensical to presume that these people (the new regime) can be expected to change all the wrongs (and there are many) in this Kingdom overnight.

Give Peace a Chance !

Give Prayuth a Chance !

thumbsup.gif

I keep thinking the same thing and keep hoping we are both right. But sometimes (like today) I get despondent & wonder if it can ever be done.

• Like 1

IMHO public officials who abuse their position for personal gain should face draconian penalties such as multiples of sentence normally applied increasing with salary, and death sentences over a certain level of position and criminality. Make it retrospective and watch the rats run for the borders.

There should also be positive incentives for whistle-blowers. As well as anonymity, witness protection and amnesty of their own criminal acts (to a certain level), rewards based on a year or two the criminals annual superannuation rate should be granted on conviction. This would actually save the country money as well as the obvious benefits.

If it's nationwide you ain't going to fix it cos a zillion folk are used to the income that they ain't going to lose.

The BiB financial perks on KT are huge, they will be crapping themselves with the thought of a clean up. Though I don't believe there will be a clean up, "in practice", as the thought of free cash will prevail who ever is in charge of stuff.

Should we be optimistic & suggest the Phuket was just a dress rehearsal to get the systems worked out. Gosh I hope so. That is what I would have done. Cleaned up one as a trial run to learn all the common tricks of the trade

This has EVERYTHING to do with the monk, and the people he works for. If you follow the money trail, he would have received some form of payment directly linked to this murder and cover up. Then you follow it a few steps further, and you are back in Bangkok... they received fiscal reward for their complicity, and then you follow it right to the top level, and they are the ultimate keepers of all things valuable in the LOS. The police and military sit just above some politicians, and just below others. But the gravy train above them is very distinct.

• Like 1

Hear, hear!

What is this? Thai Neoclassical?

Just a few months back so many TV members were lauding the new kid in town , this guy is different they shouted , well looks like same same to me !

Introspection, honesty, integrity, vision and leading by example a.o.........this beautiful country needs a person like that. A person who has been part of the system and, most likely, benefitted from it, cant be that person. An outsider with respect from most of the thai people is the only 1 who can really change it.

The type of corruption you are describing is a 'convenience' that serves the community well.

It is when the greedy get involved in high stakes crime that things start to get a little - out of hand, and innocents get banged up. (Drugs, Gambling, Sex trade, Contract killing, etc.)

But of course the most damage is done at the very top, where cronyism and nepotism define big business and politcians alike (several are one and the same). There are also many, very rich generals here as we have recently discovered, so all sectors of the 'elite' seem to be happy. (0.1% of Thais own +50% of the nation's wealth).

The gap between rich and poor is greater here than most western countries, so perhaps it would be better to get money out of politics, than stopping a cop pocketing 200 baht and saving you the bother of getting ticketed 500 baht laugh.png

I think there's enough people in Thailand getting money out of politics, don't you? (Sorry, I couldn't resist it!) But basically, I agree with a lot of what you are saying, especially regarding the distribution of wealth issue. Perhaps if the "cop" had a better salary, he would be less prone to corruption? cheesy.gif

All current police posted to Koh Tao should be invited to testify before a Thai version of a Royal Commission with independent (foreign?) investigators and wide powers. The subject could be "Why You Get to Keep Your Job and NOT Go to Jail". I suspect the results would be interesting and very disturbing for many Thais.

The Thais already know. It's more of a shock to foreigners that SEE a lot less corruption in their home country and haven't been exposed to this.