Lame Excuses

willyumiii

theyre not excuses, theyre beliefs. some based on facts and some based on myths. every culture has them. by insinuating that they are excuses, you are in fact thai bashing.

Walking down the middle of the road...

Making excessively wide turns when driving...

shouting at each other when only a few feet away...

These are not beliefs....

They are strange unpractical behaviors

The reasons for them are excuses, not beliefs...

That is fact, not insinuation..

And some of us are laughing, not bashing..

I can laugh at my self too...it's a healthy thing to do..

I believe you are " off the wall" on this one AYJAYDEE

Smile..it won't hurt you!

when you class something as strange and impractical, you are being chauvanistic and you are thai bashing. but youre in good company in this place.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theyre not excuses, theyre beliefs. some based on facts and some based on myths. every culture has them. by insinuating that they are excuses, you are in fact thai bashing.

when you class something as strange and impractical, you are being chauvanistic and you are thai bashing. but youre in good company in this place.

What a sad lot we are if we can't laugh at funny situations. Yes, Thais will walk down the middle of the road because of snakes. As a kid growing up in rural Australia i did the same thing especially at dusk or nightfall where it is easier to spot a snake against the flat surface of the road . If that makes me a chauvanist and a thai basher in your small world , so be it . Are you saying that i should not tease my wife and the kids about the silly, funny, crazy, eccentric things we do because somebody like you may see as being offensive.

What a sad lot we are if we can't laugh at funny situations. Yes, Thais will walk down the middle of the road because of snakes. As a kid growing up in rural Australia i did the same thing especially at dusk or nightfall where it is easier to spot a snake against the flat surface of the road . If that makes me a chauvanist and a thai basher in your small world , so be it . Are you saying that i should not tease my wife and the kids about the silly, funny, crazy, eccentric things we do because somebody like you may see as being offensive.

te title of the thread is LAME EXCUSES! that is not teasing , its thai bashing

There are some really touchy people out there. Perhaps the OP's language skills meant that excuses was substitued for reason. Many of us live here and are constantly amazed by things that happen here and the reasons, that are strange to us but normal to Thai. If it doesn't make you laugh fair enough but it is not racist to be amused. Perhaps I should give you a link to a Thai forum where Thai's have a giggle over foreigners who touch wood for luck, won't walk under ladders and throw salt over their shoulders.

In the meantime I am still amazed that some of the natives of this country think it is unlucky to look over their left shoulder. Great when you are driving a motorbike. But I touch wood and keep my fingers crossed that they will be ok.

the thread is titled lame excuses! that was not a substitute, it was just more typical TV thai bashing

There are some really touchy people out there. Perhaps the OP's language skills meant that excuses was substitued for reason. Many of us live here and are constantly amazed by things that happen here and the reasons, that are strange to us but normal to Thai. If it doesn't make you laugh fair enough but it is not racist to be amused. Perhaps I should give you a link to a Thai forum where Thai's have a giggle over foreigners who touch wood for luck, won't walk under ladders and throw salt over their shoulders.

In the meantime I am still amazed that some of the natives of this country think it is unlucky to look over their left shoulder. Great when you are driving a motorbike. But I touch wood and keep my fingers crossed that they will be ok.

the thread is titled lame excuses! that was not a substitute, it was just more typical TV thai bashing

AYJAYDEE..

Obviously you are not enjoying this tread and having fun with it as I intended.

Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and go find something you enjoy to do.

Maybe another thread?

I hate to think of you sitting there so miserable at your keyboard.

Sorry if I ruined your day...

Don't let the door hit you on your way out now....

And have a good day!

The original title was even worse.

AYJAYDEE..

Maybe another thread?

And have a good day!

I'm part of the rest of us and I prefer AYJAYDEE posts. I would appreciate it if you not include me with the "rest of us." Maybe you should write those of us who think making fun of other cultures is fun instead.

• Like 1

I am so sorry...

I forgot that Thais are the most logical, practical, non superstitious, courteous and well educated people on the face of the earth.

I was assuming they were as primitive as the people from my country who value freedom of speech, are thick skinned about humors criticism and know how to laugh at themselves.

It took me years of living with Thai people in Thailand to fully appreciate that they are truly the the best in every respect.

No one can ever be as good as a Thai.

Again,

My sincere apologies!

Who created all the problems in the world ??? This is a light hearted thread as to why people do what they do...

Why do Thai people drive a motorbike in the dark with the light on yet have their helmet sitting in the basket blocking out that light ?

Maybe you can have a light hearted dig back at us thailiketoo..

Or does the why do Thais laugh at the same joke 50 times in a row even if its not funny fit you also.

When I was in kindergarten my teacher told all the students not to make fun of children who were not like them and I told the same thing to my children. Did no one tell you?

No my teachers didn't say that. What they did teach me was that every race culture etc are different. The taught me that we are not all the same.

I got taught what was good and what was bad.

I was taught that just because you had money you couldn't run a cop down and get away with it.

I was taught about justice and not killing people so rich people could get away with murder.

I think my teachers were better than yours.

Do tell me what you say to your kids when they see a black/white person ? do you say they are the same as us ? or do you tell them that no person can ever be as good as a Thai person.

I told my children that ignorant, uneducated people used stereotypes to explain things they didn't understand in other cultures. I told them that people are all the same; 99.9% of their genetic code is the same that the concept of race will eventually disappear taking it's place among history's other misguided and unnecessary concepts.

What's the Use of Race?
Modern Governance and the Biology of Difference

So the day the Thai's are no longer a race is a day you will celebrate. I think you could be on your own there.

When I was in kindergarten my teacher told all the students not to make fun of children who were not like them and I told the same thing to my children. Did no one tell you?

No my teachers didn't say that. What they did teach me was that every race culture etc are different. The taught me that we are not all the same.

I got taught what was good and what was bad.

I was taught that just because you had money you couldn't run a cop down and get away with it.

I was taught about justice and not killing people so rich people could get away with murder.

I think my teachers were better than yours.

Do tell me what you say to your kids when they see a black/white person ? do you say they are the same as us ? or do you tell them that no person can ever be as good as a Thai person.

I told my children that ignorant, uneducated people used stereotypes to explain things they didn't understand in other cultures. I told them that people are all the same; 99.9% of their genetic code is the same that the concept of race will eventually disappear taking it's place among history's other misguided and unnecessary concepts.

What's the Use of Race?
Modern Governance and the Biology of Difference

So the day the Thai's are no longer a race is a day you will celebrate. I think you could be on your own there.

Thais are a race? I've never heard even the most illiterate refer to Thais as a race. Who told you that Thai people are a race?

You wrote, " What they did teach me was that every race culture etc are different. The taught me that we are not all the same." In what way are the races different? What is good and bad about which races that you think you know about?

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I am so sorry...

I forgot that Thais are the most logical, practical, non superstitious, courteous and well educated people on the face of the earth.

I was assuming they were as primitive as the people from my country who value freedom of speech, are thick skinned about humors criticism and know how to laugh at themselves.

It took me years of living with Thai people in Thailand to fully appreciate that they are truly the the best in every respect.

No one can ever be as good as a Thai.

Again,

My sincere apologies!

Yeah, the holier-than-thou sarcastic apology really helps...

AYJAYDEE..

Maybe another thread?

And have a good day!

not enjoying? lol!

Wow!!! Touched a nerve with the rose tinted PC brigade there OP.

The basis of humour since time began is differences and other peoples misfortunes. Stereotypes and commonly held beliefs also. Take those out and what are you left with? I applaud progress but people are people and we relish the chance to laugh which sets us apart from the animals. Someone slipping over a banana skin isn't funny if you are the victim but in a crowd of 100 the majority will find it amusing. The Germans call it Shadenfreude.

To Ayjaydee, Thailikethai and the others who are on high PC horses I suggest you go and read the Jokes section in this very forum and vent your spleen at the disgusting parade of racism, sexism and generally stereotypical bile that is canted on these pages. You will be busy and happy for months. Or is it only laughing at Thai differences you find so offensive?

Much of what happens in this country is inexplicable to some of us and if we didn't laugh we would cry. Does that necessarily mean we think we are superior? I, for one, which risk the ire and distain of those who are better integrated than me and continue to laugh and ask why.

Edited by Sigurris
  • Like 2

The basis of humour since time began is differences and other peoples misfortunes. Stereotypes and commonly held beliefs also. Take those out and what are you left with? I applaud progress but people are people and we relish the chance to laugh which sets us apart from the animals. Someone slipping over a banana skin isn't funny if you are the victim but in a crowd of 100 the majority will find it amusing. The Germans call it Shadenfreude.

To Ayjaydee, Thailikethai and the others who are on high PC horses I suggest you go and read the Jokes section in this very forum and vent your spleen at the disgusting parade of racism, sexism and generally stereotypical bile that is canted on these pages. You will be busy and happy for months. Or is it only laughing at Thai differences you find so offensive?

Much of what happens in this country is inexplicable to some of us and if we didn't laugh we would cry. Does that necessarily mean we think we are superior? I, for one, which risk the ire and distain of those who are better integrated than me and continue to laugh and ask why.

re-read the title of the thread . LAME EXCUSES! that isnt humour thats thai bashing.

Sigurris,

The voice of sanity can be such sweet music!

Some feel it is a sin to be amused by the differences.

The differences in Thais and westerners are some of the reasons I love living in Thailand the most.

No, I do not bow down and worship everything Thai or defend them for anything they are criticized for.

I was raised on critical thinking and I question everything...

Sometimes the answers I find are amazing!

These two critics would be pleased if I started a thread called,

" All the things Thailand does better than the rest of the world and all the contributions Thais have made to the well being and advancement of the human race and environment"

It would need to be a thread where other TV members listed all of the good things.

I would require some assistance to do it justice.

• Like 1

re-read the title of the thread . LAME EXCUSES! that isnt humour thats thai bashing.

The three of you really need to get over this.

None of you is that young and all this stress could cause medical complications for you.

If you really find my posts so offensive, there is this thing on TV called the "ignore" button.

Ignore me!

People go to a thread to read about that thread, not criticism of the thread or the OP.

Please, post your own thread, one you approve of.

And please, use that ignore button!

Sigurris,

The voice of sanity can be such sweet music!

Some feel it is a sin to be amused by the differences.

The differences in Thais and westerners are some of the reasons I love living in Thailand the most.

No, I do not bow down and worship everything Thai or defend them for anything they are criticized for.

I was raised on critical thinking and I question everything...

Sometimes the answers I find are amazing!

These two critics would be pleased if I started a thread called,

" All the things Thailand does better than the rest of the world and all the contributions Thais have made to the well being and advancement of the human race and environment"

It would need to be a thread where other TV members listed all of the good things.

I would require some assistance to do it justice.

You wrote, "" All the things Thailand does better than the rest of the world and all the contributions Thais have made to the well being and advancement of the human race and environment"

Simple answers really. 1. Thailand takes care of Thais better than the rest of the world. 2. Thailand has contributed nothing life threatening or world ending to the rest of the world. USA and Britain invented the atomic bomb and China's carbon foot print is massive. Al Gore invented global warming but Thailand is just sitting in SEA being cool. I think you're just looking for another lame excuse to bash Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

The three of you really need to get over this.

None of you is that young and all this stress could cause medical complications for you.

If you really find my posts so offensive, there is this thing on TV called the "ignore" button.

Ignore me!

People go to a thread to read about that thread, not criticism of the thread or the OP.

Please, post your own thread, one you approve of.

And please, use that ignore button!

sorry pal, you post offensive posts in a public forum and youre gonna get blowback.

Soibiker says I am defensive.

AYJAYDEE says I am offensive..

Has this tread evolved into one about American football?

Maybe it is time for me to drop back 40 and punt!

In reality I am amused and indifferent.

and just a little sad that 3 TV members don't like me.

MODERATOR.....PEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD,

i DON'T FIND THIS STUFF AMUSING ANYMORE!

never start what you cant finish

1. Thailand takes care of Thais better than the rest of the world.

Really? Now that is funny (sorry if my amusement offends). I would argue that Thai families certainly look after their elders better than most. But Thailand? No. I am from the UK where we have Social Services, Pensions, Benefits, Free Medical Care, Free Education (and mostly good), cheap universities. I don't think Thailand and its Government could argue the same. But better not offend.

1. Thailand takes care of Thais better than the rest of the world.

Really? Now that is funny (sorry if my amusement offends). I would argue that Thai families certainly look after their elders better than most. But Thailand? No. I am from the UK where we have Social Services, Pensions, Benefits, Free Medical Care, Free Education (and mostly good), cheap universities. I don't think Thailand and its Government could argue the same. But better not offend

.none of that is free, your taxes pay for it

But it is also available to those who don't pay tax, therefore it is free. Tax payers pay indirectly. Try waltzing up to a Thai school, university or hospital and telling them you pay your taxes, see where that gets you.