Russian fugitive dies in Bangkok Immigration holding cell prior to extradition

webfact

Russian Fugitive Dies in Bangkok Immigration Holding Cell Prior to Extradition

BANGKOK – Russian National Andrei Tsirp, who was being detained in a Thai Immigration detention center was found dead Monday morning in Bangkok.

Head of the Consular Section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Kingdom of Thailand, Bangkok, Vladimir Sosnov said Andrei Tsirp was originally arrested in Pattaya on the charges of theft and blackmailing in Russia.

The Pattaya People News Reported on Oct 2, 2014 that, the fugitive was caught on Soi 6 off Pratamnak Road and taken back to Immigration for questioning.

His visa had expired in mid September and he has been living in Pattaya pretending to be a student.

Police revealed that he tried to bribe them with 700,000 baht, but to no avail, as he was taken into custody and will be transferred to Bangkok to be deported back to Russia to face charges of assault and robbery.

Early in the morning security guards of the detention center found Andrei lying unconscious in the cell and called the doctor,” Sosnov said.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/russian-fugitive-dies-in-bangkok-immigration-holding-cell-prior-to-extradition.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2014-10-07

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"His visa had expired in mid September and he has been living in Pattaya pretending to be a student.."

Just wondering how many foreigners in Pattaya are pretending to be students. Studying the Ping Pong ball technique, banana peeling, and other useful skills.

Quite a few tourists in Pai and Ko Phangan die overdosed, but they all in a sudden had a cardiac arrest? Amazing Thailand and cover up stories.

No visa for such a long time, but he offered 700 K to them? Why do I smell rotten fish now?--facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Suspicious. Where is the 700,000?

What nasty, suspicious minds we have: Russian dead, nobody cares.Probably a lot more than ฿700 000.- gone for a walk somewhere. Who cares?

Edited by cooked

Not that I'm suspicious but - where's the 700,000? Held for safe-keeping?

What 700,000B? Maybe you mean the 700k that was offered as a bribe and refused by the police. The 700k that the police don't have because they wouldn't accept the bribe.

• Like 2

died of a cardiac arrest and significant digestive disorder.

significant digestive disorder .............. hat in the heck does that mean?

Not uncommon to have "packages" going in - currency - if you get my gist.

'And in other news, police have threatened charges for those who say they use scapegoats...'

It isn't looking good for the police at the moment, is it?

The police haven't been accused of anything in this case so things aren't looking any worse for them after the Russian's death.

• Like 1

I remember an English lad called "Cookie" Richard Cook died in the same place , about 2 and a half years ago. That time the officers said he died by banging his head off the cell floor. ! RIP Mr Russian man.wai.gif

Not that I'm suspicious but - where's the 700,000? Held for safe-keeping?

What 700,000B? Maybe you mean the 700k that was offered as a bribe and refused by the police. The 700k that the police don't have because they wouldn't accept the bribe.

And maybe kept as evidence? Remember they said they would charge him over attempted bribery as well....

• Like 1

you are not safe anywhere

incorrect actually, you are very safe in thailand unless your an expat criminal lier a fraudster blackmailer cheat thief extortioninist money launderer boiler room operative real estate conman loan shark standover merchant paediphile murderer or run businesses here that are not kosha and offer services to defraud your country man. the police did a great job in taking down the russian and he was the author of his own demise. the pattaya police are professional courteous and always try to assist tourists and expats alike.

• Like 2

you are not safe anywhere

incorrect actually, you are very safe in thailand unless your an expat criminal lier a fraudster blackmailer cheat thief extortioninist money launderer boiler room operative real estate conman loan shark standover merchant paediphile murderer or run businesses here that are not kosha and offer services to defraud your country man. ....

............or wear a bikini

Edited by Phatcharanan
  • Like 1

It's a tragic loss to have a person dying in detention no matter what the story is,

what I'm not happy with is why the police find it in their infinite wisdom to talk

about the 700,000 bribe, for what purpose is that? to show that they're not corrupt?

well, they are.. and beside, judging by the comments here, no one seems to believe

the cops tall yarn about them refusing this bribe....... somehow, I'm sure that there

is more to this story that meet the eye...

It's a tragic loss to have a person dying in detention no matter what the story is,

what I'm not happy with is why the police find it in their infinite wisdom to talk

about the 700,000 bribe, for what purpose is that? to show that they're not corrupt?

well, they are.. and beside, judging by the comments here, no one seems to believe

the cops tall yarn about them refusing this bribe....... somehow, I'm sure that there

is more to this story that meet the eye...

Perhaps they did refuse the bribe. Maybe they felt it wasn't enough and that he could cough up more.

• Like 2