Foreign female married to Thai male

No.

Income tax receipts aren't necessary unless you are applying for citizenship. When my wife applied i had to prove a 15,000 baht per month income. But this isn't needed for your visa extension.

It is important that he comes with you however and that you have photos of you both in every room of your house including outside in front of he house number in addition to the usual ID documents.

Interesting isn't it, a woman married to a Thai has no need for money in the bank, however a western male married to a Thai has to just thru' all sorts of hoops, beggars the question - why?

Why not start a thread about it and we can debate it elsewhere for the 4,968th time....

samran,

4,968 times?, you've been told you a million times, don't exaggerate.

• Like 2

Yes.

There are plenty of topics discussing discrimination against Thai Women by Immigration.

Just getting away from the original topic for a moment, I see it as discrimination against foreign men as compared to foreign women, not Thai women.

• Like 2

Interesting isn't it, a woman married to a Thai has no need for money in the bank, however a western male married to a Thai has to just thru' all sorts of hoops, beggars the question - why?

It is the only clause in the extension rules that has not yet been made gender-neutral, as far as I can see. Perhaps Thai women married to foreigners should have lobbied for it when Thailand had a female Prime Minister. Now they've got to wait for a female Police Director General for a new chance. The Immigration Act is already gender-neutral on this.

• Like 1

I think as a woman marrying a Thai national you get a whole crap ton of advantages that a man marrying a Thai national does not get. Good to see that that goes the other way. I am sure Thai males are happy the home team has that rare win since the away team has dominated this game for a very long time. I know one thing I really found it to be a great advantage with visas once I was married.

• Like 1

Why? Do you think many farang women marry poor Isaan men? Seriously though, this is a discriminatory state, and sexism is only one of its prejudices. In their minds a husband is supposed to support the wife; consequently, all financial requirements are directed toward the man. That thought is also inherent in many Western cultures.

Because females take a thai last name. And a Male is required to care financially to a female. Though not The case in my house of 15,000 amonth

Because females take a thai last name. And a Male is required to care financially to a female. Though not The case in my house of 15,000 amonth

Women don't have to change their last name at marriage; that law was scrapped years ago. A district office official suggested to me years ago when I was getting my ID card done that I should think about changing my name, which I didn't (think about).

• Like 1

My friend Pat is married to a Thai man and she has to go through the same format to get an extension.

Could anyone please quote the paragraph that states that a woman does not need to have the money.

To Bangkokjulia, do not believe half of what you read on this post, your best bet is to go with your husband to Immigration.

My friend Pat is married to a Thai man and she has to go through the same format to get an extension.

Could anyone please quote the paragraph that states that a woman does not need to have the money.

To Bangkokjulia, do not believe half of what you read on this post, your best bet is to go with your husband to Immigration.

No it's definitely the case; see National Police Order 327/2557 Case 2.18 - relevant clause highlighted in red

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant’s passport

3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency

4. Copy of evidence proving the Thai nationality of the spouse, parents, children, or adopted children, such as a national ID card, copy of household registration certificate, or other evidence issued by the government or relevant agency

5. Only for Criteria (5) paragraph 1 and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s marital or parental status with a Thai national.

Why? Do you think many farang women marry poor Isaan men? Seriously though, this is a discriminatory state, and sexism is only one of its prejudices. In their minds a husband is supposed to support the wife; consequently, all financial requirements are directed toward the man. That thought is also inherent in many Western cultures.

Many do.. Patong beach local jetski boys from issan quite few of them got farang wifes..

• 2 weeks later...

No.

Income tax receipts aren't necessary unless you are applying for citizenship. When my wife applied i had to prove a 15,000 baht per month income.

I'm confused, are you a Thai citizen?? maybe I read this wrong but it says when your "wife applied" I am assuming from the topic you mean for a Non O visa....?

No.

Income tax receipts aren't necessary unless you are applying for citizenship. When my wife applied i had to prove a 15,000 baht per month income.

I'm confused, are you a Thai citizen?? maybe I read this wrong but it says when your "wife applied" I am assuming from the topic you mean for a Non O visa....?

Indeed I am a Thai citizen. Wife has applied for Thai citizenship and we are waiting for the ministers signature.

If the Thais do make the rules governing a farang male and female spouse the same, let's hope it is not similar to how the UK dealt with the inequality in the UK State Pension scheme.

For many years there were complaints that women being able to retire at 60 and receive the State Pension was unfair to men who had to wait until 65 to receive the State Pension.

The UK Government agreed, so brought in laws to make the women wait until they were 65 as well!

It is always good to see a government make an unfair system 'fair'rolleyes.gif