Electrical Equipment

jayenram

There has been some discussion in the local rub-a-dub recently about the electricity consumed by electrical components in their 'stand-by mode' (TV's, CD/DVD players, amplifiers, etc.). Opinions range from 10% to 80% of the power normally consumed when the unit is switched on. Does anybody have any definitive information on this?

Edited by jayenram

There has been some discussion in the local rub-a-dub recently about the electricity consumed by electrical components in their 'stand-by mode' (TV's, CD/DVD players, amplifiers, etc.). Opinions range from 10% to 80% of the power normally consumed when the unit is switched on. Does anybody have any definitive information on this?

It really does depend upon the type of equipment, and even the manufacturer.

For example, a conventional TV in 'instant on' standby will be using, 5-10% of its 'on' power (keeping the tube heater on at reduced power), whereas an LCD TV will at most be using 1-2% of its running power (no tube heater).

Interesting Times online article http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/articl...2266159,00.html

I googled it and found a site where two or three people each indicated the stand by power for a large television was about 1 watt. One watt being consumed for one year is about 9 kilowatt hours...at 5 baht per kilowatt hours this is 45 baht per year....for a large television with standby on continuously for one year.

Edit:Having seen the post above this one I will add that I do believe that the people claiming 1 watt for standby power consumption were talking about new LCD televisions.

Edited by chownah