PM supports the creation of safe bike lanes across Thailand: Report

webfact

Special Report: PM supports the creation of safe bike lanes across Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha recently expressed support for the construction of bicycle lanes in all corners of the country.

On October 3, General Prayut said during his weekly TV programme “Returning Happiness to the People” that he wished more people would pay attention to cycling for exercise. He hailed it as a good form of exercise and a good way of commuting on a daily basis.

He asserted that the government is planning a measure to support the creation of safe bike routes for cyclists and to expand the coverage of such routes in all regions. The routes can be linked together for commuting, tourism or exercise purposes. He added cycling can help the country save on energy use and lower the level of pollution on the streets.

The premier said the Ministry of Interior will be responsible for coordinating the efforts on a provincial level, and local units are urged to realize the projects on a larger scale.

Cyclist groups have welcomed General Prayut’s announcement, saying the promotion of cycling is long overdue.

The announcement follows the “Car Free Day” event in Bangkok where Silom road was closed to cars, trucks and buses, except bicycles, for the weekend to encourage the use of public transport.

Earlier, Chiang Mai's Road Safety Center announced plans to create bike routes as a way to promote tourism in this northern province. The bicycle trails to be created will be divided into two parts, one for tourism and the other for general travel. Initially, three main routes are being considered, one covers all the main roads in the city, one goes around the moat, and the other passes by tourist attractions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-10 footer_n.gif

About 2 kms from my house is a segregated cycle lane that stretches, currently, around 8km and is still under extension, eventually leading all the way down to the Sam Roi Yot national park and treasures such as Dolphin Bay some 18kms in all. When I say segregated I mean there is a raised concrete border of around 10cm height between the vehicular traffic and the cycle lane

• Like 2

At least it's a desireable hypothetical goal on the radar

The powers are buying themselves a little more time with all the promises.

Will end predictably when the hot air dissipates and they can't brain storm any new fantasy promises.

They could also try air dropping bales of Mary Wanna all over the land.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Most auto/truck drivers here in the North drive their vehicles as though they were still driving their motorbikes! We have a stretch of road here in Chiang Rai that is close to the police station and every day I see cars and pickups using the bike lanes as passing lanes. Unless there is a major reversal of the "me first - screw everyone else" attitude that is so pervasive among the Thais, there will never be a 'safe' bike lane! Good idea but just a waste of money at this time in Thailand's "development".

• Like 1

About 2 kms from my house is a segregated cycle lane that stretches, currently, around 8km and is still under extension, eventually leading all the way down to the Sam Roi Yot national park and treasures such as Dolphin Bay some 18kms in all. When I say segregated I mean there is a raised concrete border of around 10cm height between the vehicular traffic and the cycle lane

I know that road and it has very light traffic so can only assume that the dedicated bike lane was added through the influence of a VIP biker. That said, there are frequent biker groups touring the area so it is safer for the biker and the motorist.

Can we have safe pavements first ?

There is a handicap school in Pattaya, last time I was there they had built a special wheelchair lane for the kids.

Sadly there are so many cars parked on it you cant even see the signs painted on the lane.

As long as Khon Thai are allowed to drive cars and motocy there will never be "safe" bicycle lanes but it is a nice sound byte.

Sure safe ones could be constructed and maybe kept motorbike-free, but Thailand could not afford it. Additionally, they would not be used very much. If Thai people wanted to cycle, they would be doing it now. Motorbikes are more convenient, available and one doesn't work up a sweat. I'll let you all ponder why Thai people in general really won't cycle rather than state the obvious (to me, at least, after observing them for over five years).

And what about "safe" bicycles and cyclists? I hate to sound too pessimistic, but a lot of Thais cannot even walk near (or on) the streets safely. They are not alone in this regard as I had to (two days in a row two, separate pairs of farangs that walking along Sukhumvit Soi 16 on the wrong side of the road (not facing oncoming traffic) is a REALLY BAD IDEA. One pair was actually walking in the street and blocking approaching (from behind) traffic! A complete lack of situational awareness and they weren't even staring at their smart-phones. One pair of farangs did not take the criticism well. Death Wish, I guess. Or maybe my rolling up alongside and tapping him on the shoulder and asking him if they taught him to walk facing traffic in his country was a bit too much for him.

EoR (End of Rant)

Edited by MaxYakov