Former USSR leader Mikhail Gorbachev ‘fighting for life’ in hospital

webfact

I like Gorbachev because he brought out the human side of communism.Before him all we got from Soviet Presidents was,"Neit.neit.neit! At least he would listen and talk to people. But when I reminded my Russian girlfriend of this she replied angrily, "He broke up the Soviet Union!" to which I replied, "And the Berlin wall."

Boris Yeltsin was responsible for breaking up the Soviet Union. Gorbachev desperately wanted to preserve it. Your girlfriend is wrong.

I like Gorbachev because he brought out the human side of communism.Before him all we got from Soviet Presidents was,"Neit.neit.neit! At least he would listen and talk to people. But when I reminded my Russian girlfriend of this she replied angrily, "He broke up the Soviet Union!" to which I replied, "And the Berlin wall."

Boris Yeltsin was responsible for breaking up the Soviet Union. Gorbachev desperately wanted to preserve it. Your girlfriend is wrong.

I don't think Boris knew whether it was half past Tuesday.

• Like 1

They were all under influence of west... From this point of view I must applaud them as thy come out as smarter in that long, invidible war... I do not know who is better but two poles are better than one!

Some were under the influence of Smirnoff.

The guy that banged his shoe and said Russia would bury the USA? Soon his country will bury him. just another evil politician.

I believe you are confusing him with another Soviet leader, I don't think it was Gorbachev who was the shoe banger.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think you've got it incorrect.

I think your history is a bit askew, the shoe banger was Khrushchev who was responding to a speech at the UN by the then British PM MacMillan.

In fact MacMillan who was using his reading glasses could not see what was happening and he asked for it to be translated which was regarded as a wonderful British riposte but as MacMillan admitted was nothing of the sort, he just didn't see Khrushchev on his feet banging the desk with his shoe.