Prayut says Thais should prefer rice over bread

Lite Beer

First don't let them vote. Now try to stop them choose? I am sure Kim Jong-un isn't gone missing he is just training the Thai PM. But well I wouldn't even call him PM more dictator as he isn't voted... But that's another story. Not sure if he is really that kind of stupid or just have a very very bad PR agency.

He has been more effective in getting Whats gotta be done to move Thailand forward

Like Ending endemic Corruption, paying the farmers, handling various "Mafias"

than the last how many elected People in his current position????

The entrenchment right from the top to the bottom of much of Thai society of these problems

will likely take years to clean out properly.

Not voted in???????????... ... ... My informal poll of all I have spoken with leads me to believe if an election was held today he would be voted in in a landslide. Votes against just Mafia profiteers, drug dealers... ... ...

A dictator????????????... ... ... If so a dictator that listens to the best advice of of people knowledgeable in specific areas that need attention and moves rapidly to correct wrongs that need correction.... ... ...

Any comparison to "The only Fat Kid In North Korea" is totally imaginary and not valid.

Hit the nail on the head. Who voted for the Queen of England?

Anyone?

Didn't think so - and that dysfunctional family has been ruling England for centuries.

Maybe look inwards before criticising others,

Edited by Mudcrab

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the Thai government should actively promote brown and much more realistically half milled rice in any way they can! White rice is very poor nutrition and scientists now knows that not all calorie are the same as far as impact on health and disease. Some calories are more harmful than others. For examples, nut calories are beneficial, while sugar calories in excess of certain low daily levels, quite harmful towards disease development, and yes white rice basically translates in the body into SUGAR.

But I guess it's asking too much to suggest Thais drop white rice. Too bad.

I don't agree that brown rice tastes nice with Thai food. I think it doesn't for me and most people. But half milled rice is a good compromise of taste and health.

My in-laws eat it three meals a day, 24/7, 365 days out of the year. The older folks actually panic when the pot is empty.

There must be something addictive about white rice. Maybe it's like sugar to westerners ….

I agree the Thai government should actively promote brown and much more realistically half milled rice in any way they can! White rice is very poor nutrition and scientists now knows that not all calorie are the same as far as impact on health and disease. Some calories are more harmful than others. For examples, nut calories are beneficial, while sugar calories in excess of certain low daily levels, quite harmful towards disease development, and yes white rice basically translates in the body into SUGAR.

I don't agree that brown rice tastes nice with Thai food. I think it doesn't for me and most people. But half milled rice is a good compromise of taste and health.

My in-laws eat it three meals a day, 24/7, 365 days out of the year. The older folks actually panic when the pot is empty.

There must be something addictive about white rice. Maybe it's like sugar to westerners ….

It basically IS sugar.

Typical Asian psychology is a feeling of feeling unwell if you haven't had any rice that day, or even every meal.

That is Asians living in rice cultures.

If you're talking about Chinese living in wheat culture regions ... that's different.

Not racial of course ... cultural.

Edited by Jingthing

It basically IS sugar.

Typical Asian psychology is a feeling of feeling unwell if you haven't had any rice that day, or even every meal.

That is Asians living in rice cultures.

If you're talking about Chinese living in wheat culture regions ... that's different.

Not racial of course ... cultural.

Ah, you're right. My wife says she feels tired if she hasn't eaten rice.

Sugar.

This guy is in a position to change things, he could be a hero, but every week he drops in my estimation ..

A few weeks ago he was waffling about Thai soaps - So do something about it man ! Revoke some broadcasting licences, introduce some rules, reduce advertising and product placement, introduce a minimum for the amount of documentaries and discussion programmes and impose a maximum for soaps.

If he's really serious about food and nutrition wake me up.

This great General can do anything? He is now a nutritionist?

What about the copious amounts of sugar that is being consumed by the younger Thais?

I am in the eighties and I eat about 12 tables of sugar a day

The Sugar I buy in Tesco is goof for you try it

Aah God bless ya harry, you're too sweet. Hang in there mate. If the sugar don't get you, Pattaya will.

• Like 2

So the leader of a Military Coup who continues with the nightly session telling people what they should be thinking is now saying what you should be <deleted> eating, C'mon North Korea, can you beat this ??? LOL

Anyway, most say he is doing a better job than the last allegedly corrupt mob, so maybe he is right.

What a bizare statement anyway.

Sugar is notoriously addictive and Thais have it bad. I think perhaps even worse than Americans. Prepare for a massive epidemic of obesity here unless more aggressive action is taken at a national level.

OMG...fat bar girls - the end of the world as we know it.

• Like 1

Sugar is notoriously addictive and Thais have it bad. I think perhaps even worse than Americans. Prepare for a massive epidemic of obesity here unless more aggressive action is taken at a national level.

I can't think how may people I came across who were diabetic. Uncles, friends of friends.

Loads of them already.

C'mon posters, the guy is not wrong.

He doesn't care so much about Thailand's eating habits but he cares about Thailand's economy.

If people start eating bread, wheat has to be imported from other countries.

On the other hand rice is home produced and every plate we eat a farmer gets the benefit of it, and the whole Thai economy gets the benefit of it.

He is not stupid at all........he knows very well what he is going on about.

This comment about bread is just as well thought out as the bikini comment 2 weeks ago.

OMG...fat bar girls - the end of the world as we know it.

Have you never been to Cambodia or Vietnam.

The girls there eat rice AND bread and most of the girls I saw were 50kg or less.

He doesn't care so much about Thailand's eating habits but he cares about Thailand's economy.

On the other hand rice is home produced and every plate we eat a farmer gets the benefit of it, and the whole Thai economy gets the benefit of it.

This comment about bread is just as well thought out as the bikini comment 2 weeks ago.

Which does give a certain insight into the complete lack of gravitas in his thinking. That doesn't mean to say that he is unique in this in Thailand.

What a fool. 3.2 Registered diabetics in Thailand and who knows how many unregistered who can't afford to go to the doctor's? White rice, after sugar is the second worst food for a diabetic (although rice noodles are okay, weird ay) and is the reason diabetes is so prevalent in Thailand. My mother in law has diabetes but refuses to stop eating rice or even have smaller portions and now this mad man comes along and actively promotes diabetes.

He's completely wrong and totally showing his lack of any dietary knowledge (as are you) Diabetes is rampant in Thailand, because of rice. White rice is the second worst food after sugar for diabetes which is why there are 3.2 million registered diabetics in Thailand and millions of unregistered who can't afford the doctor but can afford a plate of rice.

I agree that a move to more WHITE rice and less bread is in no way any kind of solution to the very real disease causing issues of the typical Thai diet of the masses. On the other hand, making this public perhaps has the potential of encouraging Thai people to become more conscious of these types of FOOD ENVIRONMENT issues and perhaps FUTURE messages and policies might get this more right.

Does that make me an optimist? Perish the thought.

Edited by Jingthing

He's completely wrong and totally showing his lack of any dietary knowledge (as are you) Diabetes is rampant in Thailand, because of rice. White rice is the second worst food after sugar for diabetes which is why there are 3.2 million registered diabetics in Thailand and millions of unregistered who can't afford the doctor but can afford a plate of rice.

that is interesting. I didn't know there were so many.

that is interesting. I didn't know there were so many.

Wait till he tells us how many diabetics are in China, Viet Nam, Japan, Lao, Burma etc. etc.

I agree the Thai government should actively promote brown and much more realistically half milled rice in any way they can! White rice is very poor nutrition and scientists now know that not all calories are the same as far as impact on health and disease. Some calories are more harmful than others. For examples, nut calories are beneficial, while sugar calories in excess of certain OK low daily levels are quite harmful and promote disease development, and yes white rice (and processed bread as well) basically translates in the body into SUGAR.

It is true nothing wrong with small portions of sugar or sugar in the form of WHITE RICE, but get real, if you're eating it as your main tummy filler day and night, you are not eating small portions of it.

Rice, especially brown rice, causes cancer. http://blog.aarp.org/2012/09/20/arsenic-in-rice-yes-especially-brown-rice/