Animal welfare bill seeks to punish cruel pet owners in Thailand

Lite Beer

BANGKOK: The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) is deliberating an animal welfare bill that seeks to criminalise those who harm their pets.

It is the country's first piece of legislation to impose punishment on people who neglect, torture or fail to adequately take care of animals.

The bill, which cleared its first reading with a vote of 200 and three abstentions, has now entered the scrutiny stage.

Fifteen NLA members have been appointed to scrutinise the draft bill over the next 30 days.

NLA member Monthian Boonthan said the legislation would reduce the number of stray dogs and cats and make people more responsible pet owners.

Legislators debating the bill called for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to take a more active role in reducing cruelty to animals, claiming that city residents are facing rising problems with stray animals.

The draft animal welfare bill covers domesticated pets, as well as animals kept for food, entertainment or any other purpose. It does not include cruelty to wild animals, which is covered by a separate law.

The bill defines "cruelty" as any action or absence of action which causes an animal agony, disability or death. Owners must also provide proper care for their animals.

Those who fail to do so will be subject to a jail term of up to one year and/or a fine of no more than 20,000 baht.

Under the bill, officials are permitted to search homes or businesses when they receive a complaint about animal cruelty.

The draft bill also states that a high-level committee to prevent animal cruelty and promote animal welfare should be established. The panel is to be chaired by the permanent secretary for the Ministry of Agriculture with members representing relevant agencies.

The bill makes several exemptions for what is defined as "animal cruelty". Acts not considered cruel include the slaughtering of farm animals for meat and the culling of animals to contain disease or for religious rites. The bill says animals that are very sick or pose a danger to humans can also be put down.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-11

• Like 1

Finally, i can only hope this act will pass and law will be applied all over country.

I would also like to see those who run over an animal and not stopping being included and punished.

Yes accidents do happen, but in many cases, animal may survive if medical help is given or at least moved off the road, not to be hit again and again

• Like 1

What about banning the trapping of birds and torturing them in small bamboo cases then asking people for money to release them. This sometimes happens outside temples. I have seen this many times in Chiang Mai. It is cruel and disgraceful.

Did I read,"for religious rites?" What is this supposed to mean? Mumbo-jumbo?

• Like 2

What about banning the trapping of birds and torturing them in small bamboo cases then asking people for money to release them. This sometimes happens outside temples. I have seen this many times in Chiang Mai. It is cruel and disgraceful.

Totally agree.

In the USA and the UK it is illegal to keep native species of birds in captivity. All around me my neighbors keep birds in those little bamboo boxes. These birds then become no more than just ornaments, very upsetting to see.

The problem is, creating these laws is one thing, but enforcing them is something else

• Like 1

"Acts not considered cruel include the slaughtering of farm animals for meat and the culling of animals to contain disease or for religious rites."

In my opinion it means that slaughtering a pig (for example) to use the meat in some offering for the ghosts would be allowed.

But no idea if I am right.

Or it means that halal thing of the Muslims? Criticizing it is seen as racist in Europe and I would understand if the government doesn't want to open that problem...specially not with the southern problems and specially not as unelected government.

I hope they extend that to those who see it everyday and do nothing. I thought I was going to an Elephant reserve near Buriram. Turned out to be a tourist venue with Elephant rides, show. Etc

I DO NOT SUPPORT ANY OF THIS. however, that wasn't what got me crying hysterically. There were many unkempt dogs, but one poor baby had so much infection and open sores his hip bones showed. The front half of his body was encased in some kind of growth. So, god knows how many tourists and staff watched this dog and did nothing. Not even a call to someone who would. I asked the Thai I was with how could they do that and the answer, "I can't fix everything". How about starting with one. I begged him to take the dog out and shoot him and he thought that was cruel and couldn't believe I would say such a thing. I couldn't go into the park. It was heartbreaking. I tried and tried to find an agency or someone to call. Nothing, and I didn't have a gun.

• Like 1

That is so funny, because if they really mean it the majority of Thais would be in jail.. Go anywhere in Pattaya any Soi your choice and see how many dogs are running around because the Thais want them but do not take care of them. You want to talk cruel! All these rules and goals to fix things but it all comes down to just smoke and mirrors and talk. Now they are saying be careful about bad mouthing the government? I tell you it's damn tough not too at times!

• Like 2

Most Thais WILL NOT spend money to ensure the welfare of their dogs. They might call the Vet if a buffalo or cow gets sick,They're worth money a dog isn't. The cure for mange is about 70 baht and the injection to sterlise a bitch was about 90 baht the last time I checked. Will the Thais spend this small amount, no bloody way, that's the price of a bottle of loa khou. "Nuf said".

• Like 1

"The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) is deliberating an animal welfare bill that seeks to criminalise those who harm their pets."

Somehow it is difficult for me to believe that this will be strictly enforced when laws covering domestic abuse against humans aren't uniformly enforced.

The only change I got out of this is, "Under the bill, officials are permitted to search homes or businesses when they receive a complaint about animal cruelty."

So a call is made and "officials" are permitted to break in (if you are not there) and search your home or business, whether or not: A] You indeed have an animal in the house, B] The complainant is not a prankster..., C] ...or paid caller to give the excuse to break in), and so on.

That is the only change.

Regarding the other items, there is absolutely no way to prove an animal is "owned". Most Thais do not bother to follow the rule of the law, and hence when the thumb screws are tightened, they can squeeze through the kilometer wide hole. The dogs they become attached to are not "kept" and their run (the dog's) is the area in and around the soi.

This is nothing more than a ruse to allow the scum in brown to have even more authority to lie and say they received a call, and then they can break in any domicile and nose around.

Make no mistake, this is a search and seizure law, not an animal welfare law. I mean, who really is going to come out to a house because someone called and said a dog is barking, or looks stressed, or malnourished; and do we really need our police force dedicating their time to feral mongrels when someone needs assistance with a human crime? And in most cases, the general scenarios that exist at present do not even fit the description of this bill.

Moreover, in extreme cases in the past, the police never had a problem with arresting a person for cruelty, so what makes this bill different than the past? Answer: One thing - now they can bust in your door and nose around for the price of one phone call.

Just my take on this sham.

I agree with all the suggestions on what should be included in the new Bill. However, ANYTHING will be a vast improvement on the existing situation.

Top Marks to all of those Members of the Government involved in making this happen.

• Like 1

I just wanna add -- I am genuinely impressed by the scope & breadth of reform being undertaken by the current regime. They seem genuinely intent on cleaning up scams, closing loopholes & generally making Thailand a better place. Whether or not these reforms "stick" remains to be seen, but I applaud the effort. As far as I'm concerned, the longer the military has to effect these changes, the better.

• Like 1

This bill doesn't seem to contain specifics on how food animals are slaughtered which can cause a great degree of suffering.

Probably to appease the Muslims along with the Religious Rites clause.

I hope it puts a stop to the snake bile and blood drinkers.

If you learn about the releasing tradition it stems from a fascinating origin that once upon a time was not cruel, but rather helped the animal being released like moving a fish trapped in a small pond drying up to a bigger body of water. But in modern times it's been turned upside down into what we see today. Another common example at temples is they let you release turtles for merit. They then catch the turtles again, store them in buckets, and it repeats over and over. The stress, handling, and lack of time to forage for food kills them. It's disappointing the new law sanctifies and protects such rituals of cruelty practiced everyday all over Thailand.

Factory farming is probably the worst violators of animals on this planet, in Thailand and elsewhere. There is no concern for there welfare at all. These poor unfortunate creatures are subjected to all types of bastardly deeds. Inhumane living conditions, inhumane treatment! As Mahatma Gandhi said "you can judge a country's morality by the way it treats it's animals" I'm glad to see Thailand adopting this law, it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

As commendable as animal welfare is.....

I would have thought that with only twelve months before an election

That there must be many more pressing matters that the government need to look at

What has elections got to do with animal cruelty?? and , yes there are OTHER matters. This is urgently needed, Don't you care for animals ??

Your first few words seem to think so THEN ????

Well that would be practically every local pet owner! In all my years here I've seen approximately two Thais walking their dog (this includes a HUGE, respectable moobaan where I lived for many years).

But it depends on what is cited as 'cruel': if they don't think it's cruel to keep their dog in 23-hour lockdown, then it's not cruel; if they don't think it's cruel to leave their pet on the street at night then it's not cruel; if they don't think it's cruel to never take their dog for walks (ESSENTIAL) then it's not cruel.

This thing will be totally unenforceable. It'd be akin to saying; 'right, we will no longer charge farangs extra for this, that and the other as they are equal and anyone that does so will be imprisoned. Yeah, right!! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Laudable measure, but how can it possibly be enforced without proof of ownership? Just try getting the guy whose dog took a lump out of you as you walked past his gate to admit it's his animal. Sure some Thais put collars on their dogs, but these are easy to remove before the BiB arrive, assuming they're at all interested in enforcing a law which will prove unworkable.

Thais are funny about our canine friends and "own" them for very different reasons. There are the bimbos, with their little pooches and i-Pads, macho types who keep Rottweilers and other dodgy breeds as guard dogs - plus lots of ordinary Thais who buy or adopt dogs just 'cos they like them, or their kids do.

I don't know whether to curse or admire the philanthropist nut cases who spend their spare time feeding hordes of soi and stray dogs who otherwise would starve. Just around the corner from where I live, around thirty assorted mutts gather every day on a piece of waste land each evening, waiting to be fed by several locals who turn up armed with leftovers. Moving and maddening at the same time, because these strays breed like - well, like strays and they could definitely be classed as something of a health and environmental hazard.

But that's Thailand - schitzoid and contradictory and baffling and infuriating. . . and uniquely irresistible.

• Like 2