Double-entry tourist visa Savannakhet

Hello Everyone,

I've been holding an ED visa for 4 1/2 years now and, thanks to the new visa regulations, now need to leave Thailand on October 15th to apply for a new visa. Planning on getting married to my long-term Thai gf in the next couple of months, so in order to give myself a bit more time to get all the paperwork etc. arranged I wish to apply for a double-entry tourist visa in Savannakhet in the meanwhile. Been to Vientiane more than a dozen of times in the past but understand the application process is easier in Savannakhet? I just wish to verify a few details and hopefully get some useful tips ...

1) Any problems reported with applying for a double-entry tourist visa in Savannakhet recently? I've been holding an ED visa since Fenruary 2010 and before that did dozens of "tourist visa runs" to Vientiane. By the way, I'm a German national and 41yo.

2) I understand that a confirmed airline ticket out of Thailand is not (yet?) required in order to obtain a tourist visa in Savannakhet; that correct? How about hotel booking confirmation in Thailand, proof of funds etc. either at the Thai consulate or at the border? I do not live in a hotel in Thailand and I'm certainly not keen on taking 20k baht or so in cash with me either ...

3) I understand that tourist visas are being issued on the same day as application, i.e. I apply in the morning and get the visa in the afternoon of the same day; that correct?

4) If the visa is issued on the same day, where would you recommend to stay overnight, Savannakhet or Mukdahan? I'd be looking for a reasonably priced guesthouse, centrally located in either city and preferably with WiFi; could anyone recommend me where to stay?

5) I'll be traveling from Pattaya to Mukdahan by bus. Is it correct that when I arrive at the bus station in Mukdahan I don't need to take a tuktuk or something but simply take the "international bus" to Savannakhet from the same bus terminal? The bus will drop me off at the Thai immigration checkpoint, then take me across the bridge to the Lao immigration checkpoint; right? From there I would take a tuktuk to the Thai consulate etc. and vice versa?

6) I think the "Yellow Bus" leaving from the North Pattaya Road bus terminal is the only direct bus connection between Pattaya and Mukdahan; unfortunately their website is currently not functioning. How much approximately does a ticket cost; is advance booking required/recommended; at what times are buses leaving from Pattaya; how long does the bus ride to Mukdahan take (around 10 hours?); at what times are buses leaving back to Pattaya leaving from Pattaya?

Yep, I am aware that most of my questions have probably been answered in other threads already ... I just wish to make sure that my information is up-to-date (I couldn't afford to return to Pattaya with just a visa exemption stamp or so) and am also running a bit out of time. Thanks for any tips or recommendations!!

Best regards.

No problem to get the visa in Savannakhet after being on ED extensions, No tickets or proof of hotels and etc wit be needed for the visa or entry to the country.
If you arrive in Mukdahan on an overnight bus you would not need to stay overnight anywhere unless you wanted to. You could get off the bus, take the bus to Savannakhet, get your visa, return to Thailand and get take another overnight bus.
You should look at some of the topics for getting a non-o visa in Savannakhet. You will find a lot of info about getting there, hotels and etc.
I cannot help on the yellow bus since their website is still down. Did find this website that has some info. http://www.thailandee.com/eng/transportation-thailand/buses-to-pattaya

That sounds good so far, ubonjoe. I've just bought the bus ticket (two days in advance just to make sure) at the North Pattaya bus terminal. Will catch the 9pm VIP bus Tuesday night and hope to arrive in Mukdahan by 7 or 8am Wednesday morning. Ticket cost 720 baht. Just wondering now where to stay overnight - Savannakhet or Mukdahan? - as I think two consecutive nights on a bus where I usually can't sleep would be a bit too stressful. Would be nice if someone here who's done that trip before could point me in the right direction or perhaps even recommend me a decent and reasonably priced guesthouse/hotel in a central location and, where possible, with internet access. I mean, I assume nightlife-wise both places aren't really worth spending a night there, but I just don't want to completely waste my time ...

Cheers paz, think I read about that hotel somewhere and will keep it in mind. Just are there any decent places where to have a beer etc. in the night in Mukdahan? To judge from what I've found on the internet the choice is very limited, eh? And is really no-one in favour of staying a night in Savannakhet?

There's "everything" in Mukdahan under the water tower. In Savannakhet I think the most you can have a is a nice Lao restaurant, beers and friendly people at night. I found it walking few blocks down the road, now which road? A wide one it was smile.png

Edited by paz