risk of working with no work permit

Jail? I didn't realise you can go to jail for it. Maybe it isn't worth it then. Shame though. Seems like a good opportunity.

I had a friend who spent a week in Jail, was deported directly from Jail, and then had serious problems getting a work permit the next time he came. All because of the problems he had previously working without a permit. It is NOT worth the risk. It is one thing if you are working in your room writing documents to deliver online, or writing programs and delivering code over the net. But to be out in public dealing with customers? Never.

The Thai government takes the work permit thing very seriously. Do not doubt that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this "serious" company can't even give you a work permit (which cost them a lot of money) , they are not really serious in the first place. Oh thats right its a timeshare company , what a surprise.....

It must be a really serious company if they think 3000 baht is too much for a WP

That is just the "price" for issuing the WP itself is it not. I remember seeing a price list attached to the "Alien Act" which indicated there were quite a bit more expenses during the whole process. Then of course in all the countries I have worked, I have NEVER once gone through the process of applying for a WP for an employee by myself -- it always required to services of a law firm since the process was not as simple as getting a "retirement visa". Then I would not be surprised that if you wanted to get the visa in a reasonable amount of time you would also be expected to "grease the wheels". In the end, it would not surprise me if the total cost to the employer was closer to 100,000 baht than 3,000 baht.

That's only bull.... that a WP cost closer to 100,000 baht total.

Simple answer....not work without work permit.I know a Spanish guy that few years ago he agrees to pay his stay at this guesthouse in Jomtien,cooking for the restaurant in the GH.Someone warn the police and they start to make photo when he work in the kitchen and follow him when went to market.He was jailed and paied a 500.000 baht fine.......

If this "serious" company can't even give you a work permit (which cost them a lot of money) , they are not really serious in the first place. Oh thats right its a timeshare company , what a surprise.....

It must be a really serious company if they think 3000 baht is too much for a WP

That is just the "price" for issuing the WP itself is it not. I remember seeing a price list attached to the "Alien Act" which indicated there were quite a bit more expenses during the whole process. Then of course in all the countries I have worked, I have NEVER once gone through the process of applying for a WP for an employee by myself -- it always required to services of a law firm since the process was not as simple as getting a "retirement visa". Then I would not be surprised that if you wanted to get the visa in a reasonable amount of time you would also be expected to "grease the wheels". In the end, it would not surprise me if the total cost to the employer was closer to 100,000 baht than 3,000 baht.

That's only bull.... that a WP cost closer to 100,000 baht total.

My estimate was based on 20,000 for the application fees + 40,000 for legal fees + 35% that is the average added onto costs by corruption.