Consumer Rights in Thailand

theyoungone

My wife bought a winter coat online in Thailand but she ordered the wrong size. She asked the company to exchange it for another size and they refused. Its still brand new and never used. She said if you exchange it then she will continue to be a customer. They said no. Makes no sense to me. Smile and move on and learn I suppose!

There is a Thai government entity called the Office of the Consumer Protection Board.

They have a website that, for Thailand, has pretty good and useful information in English about what they do, and what their rules and complaint procedures are, and what kinds of issues they have jurisdiction over.

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/ewt_news.php?nid=10

The fact that no one here has mentioned them, in response to your question, pretty much shows what level of awareness there is of this agency among farangs.

As such, in my years here, I've seen very little feedback on just how helpful or not this agency has been. Though the few reports I've seen suggest that Thai businesses do respond when OCPB gets involved.

It does seem, if someone has a product under a written warranty and the company fails to honor it, that would be an eligible issue. But if you buy something without a stated written warranty and then it fails prematurely, it's not clear whether OCPB would get involved.

There is a Thai government entity called the Office of the Consumer Protection Board.

They have a website that, for Thailand, has pretty good and useful information in English about what they do, and what their rules and complaint procedures are, and what kinds of issues they have jurisdiction over.

The fact that no one here has mentioned them, in response to your question, pretty much shows what level of awareness there is of this agency among farangs.

As such, in my years here, I've seen very little feedback on just how helpful or not this agency has been. Though the few reports I've seen suggest that Thai businesses do respond when OCPB gets involved.

It does seem, if someone has a product under a written warranty and the company fails to honor it, that would be an eligible issue. But if you buy something without a stated written warranty and then it fails prematurely, it's not clear whether OCPB would get involved.

It's all hot air, Johnny.

I would think there is some level of consumer protection depending on where you buy having said that i did have to do some grand standing to get my addidas shoes replaced...and i did...Robinsons sports department didnt have a clue but phoning addidas from Robinsons they seemed pretty easy going about it all.

• 8 months later...

The information is also PINNED at the top of this forum

Whether there is some sort of consumer protection laws or not, I doubt whether there is any agency that will take legal action on behalf of a customer as is the case in most western countries.

My guess is that the burden lies with the customer to take legal action against a company under this law or that law. Considering the ultra complicated so-called legal processes here, that can involve lawyers and years to obtain a conclusion, many companies have taken an attitude that most dissatisfied customers won`t bother to go the whole hog and take them to court.

So in Thailand the message is; buyer beware.

Not many consumer rights laws here in Thailand... Caveat Emptor.

WRONG !

I dealt with OCPB taking on one of Thailand’s biggest corporations. I considered to have had a fantastic win through the free help from OCPB. I got back every single satang despite protestations by the company that it was against company policy to refund money.clap2.gif

So I encourage anyone to lodge a complaint with this department who everyone in business seems to fear ( maybe because this govt agency is very closely related to the Prime Ministers office )

here is their website in English

http://www.ocpb.go.t...name=index___EN