Need Some Good Ideas On Western Snacks For Thai Consumption.

Tiramisu and dulce de leche don't strike me as something that would be popular with Thais.

I don't know about Tiramisu not appealing to Thais, the icecream man tells the Tiramisu Cornetto is one of his best sellers.

I love Neenish Tarts and the sweet cream filling might appeal to Thais. Speaking of things Italian Cannoli might also appeal to the Thai palate.

Now you've started what will be an unfilled yearning for things missed from back home. Please send a rescue package of sweet delights to Chiang Mai.

I must agree. I know an Italian restaurant that makes Cannoli and the thais LOVE THEM. My Thai staff LOVE Tiramisu - a true one.

I have 12 Thai staff so thats a small selection I know but the gobble the stuff when I get it for them and my Thai partner ALWAYS insists on me bringing hi some home from the restaurant

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apple tart and custard - you are going to have a shelf life problem. Nothing worse than congealed custard - if it's lump it reminds some of us of boarding school. Some of the suggestions need refrigeration which is not always available in all Amazon outlets (I travel a lot and regularly stop for the coffee - which is great).

My life runs a couple of coffe shops and bakes for them - popular items home style cookies (variety of flavours - chocolate to ginger with nuts in middle (they like them crunchie). Individual sponge cakes variety of bases and flavours with nice icing (ie not made with margarine). The advantage you can bake large and cut then ice in individual foil holders that fold up before shipping. In fact what ever you are thinking of work backwards from the problem they will have in displaying them back through shipping and dispatching them.

This thread makes me hungry :-)

How about the Turkish/Greek Baklava? Sweet as the Thai like it and goes well with a cup of coffee.

attachicon.gifbaklava.jpg

Baklava, made right, is a real treat and a good seller. Don't forget that peanuts are not allowed. Pistachios, almonds and walnuts are all required.

Key Lime Pie

Sunrise Tacos had them for a while. They were great. Having eaten them in Fla where the recipe originated, I can say they did a good job. Not sure why they stopped selling them. The store we went to said they always sold well.

For those who have never had it... this creamy sour pie is made on a graham cracker crust and is deliciously sour and sweet with a full butter flavor graham cracker crust. The Thai wife loved it. She orders it every chance she gets. We were just in the States and had couple days in Miami and she had it 3 times.

A very simple and inexpensive English dish, - Bread and Butter Pudding. If you do them in individual foil cases, easy to handle and store.

My Thai family love them.

If you want a savoury dish, individual toad in the hole. Yorkshire pudding with a sausage. Again, easy to make, handle and store.

Alfajores!

With dulce de leche in the middle, natch.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28373-alfajores

Where ya gonna get dulce de leche?

Let me check ... make it!

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dulce-De-Leche

Actually, it's been a mystery to me why Dulce de leche desserts are not internationally popular. It's interesting how some things that are food obsessions in a few countries don't travel well. Vegemite I understand. Dulce de leche, I don't.

Edited by Jingthing

cannoli_demo_3.jpg

Canoli, aroy mak mak

To the OP, my wife bakes; several locals who own restaurants and coffee shops ask her to bake for special occaisions. She could do it commercially, but that would conflict with our retirement. However, she suggests cookies, cakes, icing, and fruit pies made from scratch, not boxed--thousands of recipes on the web, all the ingredients available here. I love her cheesecakes, but they cost. She says, chocolate, white, and carrot cakes with homemade icings, or banana and oatmeal bread are delicious and cheap to make. Banana, mango, pineapple, papaya, custard pies. Sugar, chocolate chip, raison, peanut butter cookies are easy to make and so much better than the norm available here.

Sorry, got carried away, sitting here on the veranda with the smells of Sunday dinner whiffing through the air.

• Like 1

Alfajores!

Actually, it's been a mystery to me why Dulce de leche desserts are not internationally popular. It's interesting how some things that are food obsessions in a few countries don't travel well. Vegemite I understand. Dulce de leche, I don't.

We used to make condensed milk caramel like that all the time to use as a filling in chocolates (One of my parents companies in HK was a confectionery business).

I never knew it had an official name.

In fact I was telling a Thai culinary student how to make it just this afternoon!

Lots of diabetes and obesity on the way with these suggestions.

Occasional splurges and special treats are not the problem. The problem is cause by what people eat every day, sometimes every meal. Not so much desserts as processed starches that convert into sugar and sugar hidden in all kinds of non-dessert foods and drinks.

Tiramisu sounds a good idea, but the ingredients are quite expensive- mascarpone , Marsala ( 1000baht a bottle) , decent imported cocao powder and the way I make it has raw egg yolks- not sure that is a good idea for a commercial product?

If you are already making creme pattisiere for your eclairs, how about small glazed fruit tarts- lots of fruit here and look very pretty.

Good old pineapple upside down cake can be nice.

Tart tatin is truly delicious

Thai's aren't so keen on lemon or lime tarts which are a bit sour- more to Western tastes.

Chocolate tarts

Good luck with your project, don't forget to price out your ingredients down to the nearest satang.

Check out Delia Smith 's web site, she is an English cook who is almost a national institution and has loads of cake/ pudding recipes.

Also look at BBC good food website.

There are some English traditional cakes such as Eccles cakes, Bakewell puddings, Parkin or gingerbread which are very good, but not sure how they would go down here?

No apologies for plugging British web sites, but one good thing we are good at is baking!

Cup cakes, brownies, bananofee cake seems to be one of the most popular snacks. Egg Tart is actually popular too, you could try doing chocolate / green tea egg tart, something I have never seem in Thailand.

Edited by mike324

I recently introduced my TGF to Pastéis de Belém (more commonly referred to as Pastéis de Natas = Custard Pastry), a Portuguese custard tart originating from Bélem.

She can´t stop eating them and I am concerned that they may make her fat!

http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/en.html

Admittedly, my TGF has lived and worked abroad and happily eats farang food, although she prefers Thai, Korean and Japanese. But the Portuguese seem to be able to sell these custard tarts in many markets - they are great with an espresso either for a sweet breakfast or a quick pick-me-up during the day.

If you google Pastéis de Belém (or Pastéis de Natas) you will find receipes. They just require very simple ingredients - I am not sure how easy cinammon is to get in Thailand or Vanilla Extract but I assume these are easily available. You do need a commercial oven as domestic cookers can´t go hot enough. Like any freshly baked product, they are substantially better on the day baked but have a shelf life of at least several days.

Portuguese cuisine also has a few other savoury snacks that might go down well. Pastéis de Bacalhau is a fish cake made with bacalhau (salted cod) and Rissóis de Camarão are prawns in a creamy sauce in a deep fried-croquette. Thais do love deep fried stuff after all - so might like these!

• Like 1

Bacalao is so expensive in Thailand. Great stuff though.

You could just try a western style fish cake made with a locally caught fish, although Thais might find it bland in comparison to Thai Fish Cakes,

I am surprised English fish and chips is not more popular in Thailand. Thais are eating more and more chips these days and they love deep fried stuff!

Go for something healthier.....whole grained products. Avoid milk, cream and butter (many asians are lactose intolerant)

granola bars....less sugar

I do not want to derail the original thread but lactose intollerance may be a relevant issue due to the OP wanting to sell sweet snacks over savoury.

It is my understanding that lactose intollerance is mainly an inability to consume milk, not butter or cheese. Many Europeans cannot drink cow milk these days and drink Soya etc. I do know more Europeans than Asians - but I still know quite a few Asians as my TGF is (unsurprisingly) Asian. All her friends love cheese and can drink milk. Meanwhile, I know many Europeans that avoid these products (myself included). I am not sure that lactose intollerance is as big a problem as some think. Lactose intollerance affects Africans and Arabs too yet they consume dairy products in abundance.

How do Starbucks etc sell Caffe Lattes in LOS?

Also Italians are supposed to be lactose intollerant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance) yet they eat ridiculous amounts of dairy products (milky coffee for breakfast, cheese sauces and creamy desserts).

If the end customers of the OP can eat eclairs, I am sure they can eat a pastéis de natas or a rissóis de camarão, particularly if the latter was made with a fiery sauce instead of a solely creamy sauce.

Obviously, a tasty snack that avoids all cream, butter and cheese may be the winner in LOS!

Edited by poulet

Alfajores!

I am surprised Dulce de Leche is not more popular internationally.

I am always asked to bring it back from Argentina (but by Latin/African recipients)...

• Like 1