Manchester City

mrbojangles

'

Nothing about the result yet Mr BJ. :o

(I know, Iknow. Yeah something similar happened to United against Coventry last year. so I'll tiptoe quietly out of here.....)

I think the problem was they were watching their backs.......there's something about Brighton that keeps you on your toes :D

With all that money as well, and we still do you!!!! :D

Yep, well done. I didn't see the game and so don't who or how we played but it's irrelevant now. Good luck in the next round.

Yep, well done. I didn't see the game and so don't who or how we played but it's irrelevant now. Good luck in the next round.

Did,nt see the gane either but i believe Rob and Swp were not playing,not using that as an excuse though.These things happen in football all be it more reguarly to City :D but watch the press have a field day about the worlds biggest club being put out by Brighton who dont even own their ground.But thats life :o

From the BBC:-

Hughes embarrassed by City defeat

Mark Hughes said his players lacked professionalism after his Manchester City millionaires were humiliated by hard-up Brighton in the Carling Cup.

City went home with some thinking to do after the League One side came through on penalties after securing a dramatic 2-2 draw at the Withdean Stadium.

Hughes said: "There is a lot of focus on us at the moment but I don't know if I'm more embarrassed than angry.

"We should have been professional enough to have seen it through."

Brighton's Dutch keeper Michel Kuipers saved Michael Ball's penalty in the shoot-out - allowing Matt Richards to coolly convert his spot-kick and spark a pitch invasion by the delighted Brighton support.

While Brighton have to make do with a much-maligned temporary stadium built round an athletics track, City have just sealed a £200million takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Hughes insisted he had no regrets about leaving out both £32.4million Brazil star Robinho and £9million winger Shaun Wright-Phillips after Brighton bounced back from a Gelson Fernandes strike just after the hour.

Glenn Murray dramatically equalised in the 89th minute and on-loan substitute Joe Anyinsah fired Brighton in front in extra time.

Remarkably, there was still time for Stephen Ireland to level matters again but the shoot-out went the Seagulls' way.

"We are disappointed because we had a strong enough team out there to have won this game and I thought we looked very comfortable in the second half," added Hughes.

"But we missed chances after taking the lead. Once it goes to penalties it can go either away so we mustn't dwell on this result but you never want to go out of any competition.

"At least we were able to give game-time to some players who needed it - and to be honest the need was pretty evident at times."

Hughes refused to blame the antiquated conditions at the Withdean Stadium, saying: "It's similar to several places I've been in Europe and the players should be able to cope with it."

Meanwhile, Brighton boss Micky Adams said it was the criticism his team took for losing 1-0 at home to nine-man Walsall last Saturday that fired them up for the shock win which earns a third-round clash at home to Derby.

"The boys were well up for it and needed to do something big after the reception they got after Walsall," he said.

"I'm not going to crow about beating the so-called richest team in the world because as a player and a manager I've been on the wrong end of these type of results.

"All I can say is that my boys were spot on for their endeavour and their pride and they deserve all the plaudits for a fantastic response."

From City's website

Bojinov back at Carrington

Mark Hughes has revealed that Bulgarian striker Valeri Bojinov is back at Carrington and ready to start on the road to recovery following his Achilles tendon injury.

It was a cruel blow for the 22-year-old when he suffered the injury in the warm up ahead of the opening day defeat at Aston Villa.

But today Hughes told mcfc.co.uk: “He’s back with us now and will be starting his rehabilitation in earnest.

“He was showing everybody his scar yesterday like a war wound. I’ve seen scars from that type of injury before and they looked a lot angrier than Valeri’s does.

“It looks excellent in fairness and we’re very hopeful given where the tendon snapped. If there is a good place it was the optimum position, right in the middle, so the prognosis is really good for him.”

Bojinov, who joined the Blues from Fiorentina just over a year ago, has had no luck with injuries since his arrival having made only three brief appearances last year before suffering cruciate ligament damage in August. He battled back from that to impress many with his pre-season form before being struck down again.

And that’s something now familiar to Hughes as he’s had to do without other members of his side who showed good form before injuries struck.

“Valeri, Martin (Petrov) and Vass as well all got injured when doing really well,” he noted.

“So we’ve lost key players for us and then the onus is on the younger element of the team. People forget how young, in Premier League terms, the side is at the moment.

“It’ll be good just to get players that are experienced at playing week in, week out at Premier League level and what it takes sometimes to see games out.

“Martin is close to a return. Vass is itching to get back out on the field. He’s not out of the treatment room yet, but is very close and Benjani is working extremely hard, so it won’t be long before he’s an option for me."

As for Bojinov, the Manager concluded the striker can overcome his second horror injury to come back stronger.

“We’ve kept in touch while he’s been away and he’s got the right type of personality to be able to deal with these setbacks.

“He’s had to be positive because he’s had a number of them so early in his career. But he’s a positive guy at the best of times, so he’ll get his head down now and work extremely hard, like he always does.”

Match preview from the BBC:-

Man City v Omonia Nicosia (2-1)

Uefa Cup first round second leg

Venue: Eastlands Date: Thursday, 2 October Kick-off: 1945 BST

Manchester City midfielder Vincent Kompany is expected be fit to face Omonia Nicosia of Cyprus in the second leg of their first-round Uefa Cup tie.

Kompany suffered a slight knee injury in the defeat by Wigan on Sunday but has made a good recovery.

City hold a 2-1 lead but will be without Martin Petrov (hamstring) and Michael Johnson (groin), who are sidelined through injury.

Brazilian Jo scored both goals as Man City fought back to win the first leg.

City boss Mark Hughes believes August signing Shaun Wright-Phillips is playing himself into contention for an England recall.

The winger won the last of his 19 caps in February, but Hughes believes the 26-year-old can offer just as much as rivals Theo Walcott and David Bentley.

"He certainly has more experience than two of those players (Walcott and Bentley)," said Hughes.

"I am sure Mr Capello understands that if Shaun was selected, he would give everything, just as he does whenever he plays.

"It might not be this time as he is just playing regularly again but if he maintains his form, I am sure (he'll be) one of the first to be picked.

"Shaun has been excellent since he came back. He is far and away a better player than when he left the club."

Hughes wants his side to put aside their Premier League 2-1 defeat by Wigan with a confident performance at Eastlands on Thursday.

"We dictated possession at the weekend but Wigan got men behind the ball to stop us playing," said Hughes.

"Maybe that will happen tomorrow where the opposition will get men behind the ball and try and hit us on the break.

"Omonia caused us a couple of problems in the first leg and we have to put this tie to bed quite quickly. We need to start strong and dictate the tempo."

From skysports:-

Man City 2-1 Omonia

SWP gets Hughes praise

City manager lauds Thursday's Uefa cup goal-scorers

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes was left singing Shaun Wright-Phillips' praises after Thursday's Uefa Cup win.

Goals from Elano and Wright-Phillips were enough as City ran out 2-1 winners on the night against Omonia Nicosia to progress to the group stages.

It was the 26-year-old's fourth goal in his second spell at the club after his £9 million return from Chelsea in August, and Hughes was keen to point out the importance of the winger's 55th minute goal against a difficult Cypriot outfit.

"Shaun was a little bit frustrated at playing the wrong ball at the wrong time," Hughes said.

"But he kept going. He gives us great energy and great pace down the right-hand side. His goal was just reward for his efforts."

Hughes also paid tribute to fellow scorer Elano, whose goal was one to savour after a slow start by City in the second leg of their first round clash.

"Elano is coming into a bit of form," said the City boss. "He is playing on the left alongside Robinho and they are working well together.

"They already have a good understanding of each other and that can only benefit us in the games to come."

Hughes still claimed there was room for improvement after the win, citing a naivety to European football as the major factor for their less than convincing victory.

"We did not show enough patience in the first half. We were trying to force the issue. But we improved as the game went on.

"Omonia got a bit of encouragement when they scored but we saw the game out quite comfortably. We are a young team and this is a learning process for us."

Blowing a bit hot n cold at the minute MrBJ :o Some great results (Portsmouth) then a dodgy loss at Wigan then this. Hughes'y needs a little bit more consistancy to make the big guns sit up & notice mate.

From skysports:-

Hughes admits City shortcomings

Eastlands boss ready to spend to improve

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes admits that the 'frailties' of his side will need to be addressed in the January transfer window.

It has been anticipated that nouveaux rich City will spend heavily when the transfer market re-opens in the New Year, and the likes of Stuttgart striker Mario Gomez and Valencia star David Villa have been previous targets.

Former Blackburn boss Hughes, who saw his side throw away a two-goal lead against Liverpool at the weekend, has also been linked with Ewood Park ace Roque Santa Cruz and Werder Bremen midfielder Torsten Frings.

And Hughes, backed by the funds of recently arrived new Eastlands owners the Abu Dhabi United Group, has reiterated that he is eager for reinforcements after recognising his side's shortcomings.

"We need that resolve to be able to see games out and take something positive from every game we play," Hughes said in the Daily Star.

"At the moment we are struggling on that point, but we are a young team in terms of experience and development.

"We will get better, but we are still a team with clear frailties and we will work to address them when the transfer window opens again in the New Year."

SWP spurred on by snub

Winger delighted to be back on international scene

Shaun Wright-Phillips has revealed that a snub from England manager Fabio Capello made him more determined than ever to return to his sparkling best.

The Manchester City winger was included in Capello's first squad and came off the bench to help his boss start his time in charge of England with a victory as he scored the winner in a 2-1 success over Switzerland.

However, Wright-Phillips - who returned to City from Chelsea in August - was overlooked for the opening 2010 World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Croatia.

Theo Walcott's hat-trick heroics in Zagreb led to speculation that Wright-Phillips was surplus to requirements at international level, but the 26-year-old has earned a recall for Saturday's clash with Kazakhstan and the meeting with Belarus four days later.

And Wright-Phillips has admitted his delight at returning to Capello's plans, telling Sky Sports News: "I am just glad to be back here with the team again.

"I did not think my England career was too far gone to worry about resurrection.

"I am delighted with my club form and I just need to carry it on to the training with England and then put myself in a position to get another call.

"I was disappointed not to have been picked after Mr Capello's first game - but I respected the boss for it and it did some good as it helped kick me into shape because I knew then I had to perform, to get better and better.

"There is a challenge in whatever job you do, and that challenge will always benefit the person."

Regime change sees City terminate Thais

October 16, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City are poised to sever ties with three Thailand internationals purchased under the previous regime.

Suree Sukha, Teerasil Dangda and Kiatprawut Saiwaew were signed by City last November in what was widely believed to be a political move by former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the then billionaire owner of the club, four weeks out from an election in his homeland.

The trio were denied work permits with Suree and Teerasil sent on loan to Grasshoppers Zurich in Switzerland and Kiatprawut farmed out to Belgian side Club Brugge.

The players joined up with City for a post-season tour match in the Thai capital Bangkok, but, following Thaksin's departure as owner - the club were taken over by Abu Dhabi United on September 1 - have now been deemed surplus to requirements.

"It is officially confirmed that the trio's contracts have been terminated," Jimmy Haewsanti, marketing manager of Manchester City (Thailand) told the Bangkok Post.

"We tried our best but failed to get work permits for them."

Suree, who said the termination will take effect next month, added: "The new owner from the UAE wants to support players from his country."

Regime change sees City terminate Thais

October 16, 2008

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City are poised to sever ties with three Thailand internationals purchased under the previous regime.

Suree Sukha, Teerasil Dangda and Kiatprawut Saiwaew were signed by City last November in what was widely believed to be a political move by former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the then billionaire owner of the club, four weeks out from an election in his homeland.

The trio were denied work permits with Suree and Teerasil sent on loan to Grasshoppers Zurich in Switzerland and Kiatprawut farmed out to Belgian side Club Brugge.

The players joined up with City for a post-season tour match in the Thai capital Bangkok, but, following Thaksin's departure as owner - the club were taken over by Abu Dhabi United on September 1 - have now been deemed surplus to requirements.

"It is officially confirmed that the trio's contracts have been terminated," Jimmy Haewsanti, marketing manager of Manchester City (Thailand) told the Bangkok Post.

"We tried our best but failed to get work permits for them."

Suree, who said the termination will take effect next month, added: "The new owner from the UAE wants to support players from his country."

Maybe Peter Reid can use em?

I think you're telling Porky Pies Sureee, it's got nothing to do with the Fella wanting people from his own Country, think you should look in the Mirro instead of blaming someone else... :D

It was so embaressingly obvious that this was all a pile of sh*t in the first place, these Players were never ever gonna do anything at Satay, even when Thaksin was there...

& anyway, i didn't realise Ronaldo, Torres etc where from the UAE anyway Surree ?? :o

these Players were never ever gonna do anything at Satay, even when Thaksin was there...

The reason is quite simple. They couldn't get work permits. Nothing more, nothing less.

& anyway, i didn't realise Ronaldo, Torres etc where from the UAE anyway Surree ?? :D

:o

these Players were never ever gonna do anything at Satay, even when Thaksin was there...

The reason is quite simple. They couldn't get work permits. Nothing more, nothing less.

& anyway, i didn't realise Ronaldo, Torres etc where from the UAE anyway Surree ?? :D

Well we could never prove it but you know as well as i do, even if you won't admit it, that it was only a publicity stunt & they had probably less than a 1% chance of making it in the Prem..

Well we could never prove it but you know as well as i do, even if you won't admit it, that it was only a publicity stunt & they had probably less than a 1% chance of making it in the Prem..

The ultimate aim was to improve the standards of a few players, with exposure to english football and training, for the Thai national team. But yeah, it would also give good publicity.

• 2 weeks later...
That'll do nicely. :D

Robiho's first hatrick for City. Hopefully the first of many :o

I read that he hopes to score 30 this season. Would be nice if he did!

Incidentally, can you remember City ever previously having the highest goal tally in the Championship - or any other league?

Of course they have conceded a few as well. Hope they can tighten up a bit at the back.

Incidentally, can you remember City ever previously having the highest goal tally in the Championship - or any other league?

Of course they have conceded a few as well. Hope they can tighten up a bit at the back.

Looks the skizofrenic (sp) City could have used 3 of his 30 goals last night. One night you guys look like world beaters and the next relegation candidates. Guess there are things money can't buy - consistency.

Looks the skizofrenic (sp) City could have used 3 of his 30 goals last night. One night you guys look like world beaters and the next relegation candidates. Guess there are things money can't buy - consistency.

I think consistency with the refs would be a nice welcome too. IMO, it was never a penalty and then it ruined the game. In the first half, we out classed and out played them but couldn't put one in the net. You would have thought we were the home side. Oh well, roll on weekend.

I think consistency with the refs would be a nice welcome too. IMO, it was never a penalty and then it ruined the game. In the first half, we out classed and out played them but couldn't put one in the net. You would have thought we were the home side. Oh well, roll on weekend.

What goes around comes around, you got a very bad decision go your way to get a penalty and an opposing player sent off the week before.

What goes around comes around, you got a very bad decision go your way to get a penalty and an opposing player sent off the week before.

And a few weeks before that, we had another bad penalty decision go against us at Wigan. So we're 1 bad decision down at the moment. Hope your right and what goes around, comes around and we get one for us in the next match. :o

Watched the game for the first time today a definite penalty about time we got a decision going right.

Of course you will look at it through your eyes. But you'd be a tad p1ssed if that had gone against you, instead of for you.

Anyways, too late now and we move on. See you at Middle East Lands :o

Apology accepted :D

good luck for the rest of the season will be interesting who you buy in january.

I think it will be an anti-climax. I don't think any of the players we will want, will come in Jan, as they will probably be still playing in the Champions League. Next summer will be the time, IMO.