Manchester City

mrbojangles

look at Robinho he could be in the champions league now with Chelsea.

Yes but now he is with the richest football club in the world. Of which, he is the foundation stone to which to build upon. He had the vision :o

what's the old saying if money can't buy me gold, nothing can.

From skysports:-

Hughes plans transfer targets

Manager demands players with Ireland's attitude

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes will travel to Abu Dhabi in two weeks to discuss his January transfer window shopping list.

City will be aiming to put the last few games behind them as they go into their Bolton clash at the back end of just one win in their last five and eager to improve on their away form of one win all season.

After leaking 16 goals in 10 games, a world-class defender and another midfielder could well be on the list for Sheikh Mansour to fund during Hughes' meeting with the multi-billionaire owner.

"The transfer targets and our strategy for player acquisition has been presented to the owners," Hughes told the Daily Star.

"So, we are going to have further discussions along those lines.

"We are just planning to add to the quality that we have. I'm not going to go into details. I don't want to flag up any targets that we have. That would be wrong.

"In fairness, we are looking to be stronger in all areas and if we can bring in quality players, we will.

"I have always said we are looking to get the balance of the squad and of the team right. When I came here, for instance, we had nine or ten strikers," Hughes said.

"We have addressed that to a certain extent. Now, other areas of the team need addressing as well."

With first-class acquisitions Robinho and Pablo Zabaleta brought in for a combined fee of nearly £39million, Hughes' players know that money will be spent if positions need strengthening.

"Every day when players come to training I am making judgements on them," the City boss said.

"Everybody here has a great opportunity. If they understand that, they can grasp it and have a long future here, irrespective of who we bring to the club."

One player who is certainly making sure he stays on Hughes' teamsheet is midfielder Stephen Ireland. The 22-year-old has been instrumental recently for City and ironically cost nothing after working his way up from the academy ranks since the age of 15.

Hughes added: "If you play well you will always have a future here. The prime example I keep throwing in is Stephen Ireland."

well, after much hype at the beginning of the year, its good to see City back in their usual spot below the likes of Everton and em what's their name? oh Hull City. Different City I guess.

The team who's name you struggled to remember, gave your lot the heeby jeebies, at Old T the other day.

And yes, we played like <deleted> yesterday. The hype has been by everyone else, as we know, we haven't had time to spend the money yet. Give it time pal :o

That was a dreadful performance against Bolton. I know they are missing a few players because of injuries and sickness and I know the new owners have said the they would give Mark Hughes time, but I wonder how many more poor performances he can deliver before the Sheikh starts to become uneasy.

As we are seeing money does not buy you 3 points ! Robinho should be where he belongs !

I'm getting tired of that line. We haven't spent any big bucks yet. Robinho cost less than United paid to re-new Ronaldo's contract. Apart from him, we haven't spent big at all.

Chelsea and United have been buying big money players for years. It will take time and big money just to catch up with what they have spent and the teams they have built.

I've got the patience, i've been supporting them long enough, so a couple or three years more won't make much difference.

That was a dreadful performance against Bolton. I know they are missing a few players because of injuries and sickness and I know the new owners have said the they would give Mark Hughes time, but I wonder how many more poor performances he can deliver before the Sheikh starts to become uneasy.

I agree lawling. They will be patient for a little while but not for too long.

As we are seeing money does not buy you 3 points ! Robinho should be where he belongs !

I'm getting tired of that line. We haven't spent any big bucks yet. Robinho cost less than United paid to re-new Ronaldo's contract. Apart from him, we haven't spent big at all.

Chelsea and United have been buying big money players for years. It will take time and big money just to catch up with what they have spent and the teams they have built.

I've got the patience, i've been supporting them long enough, so a couple or three years more won't make much difference.

The one thing that these people forget or do not know, Mr Boj, is that apart from being the richest club in the world, City have the best youth set up in the country. Winners of the youth cup last year. Richards, Evans,Johnson, Sturridge, Ireland, Onuoha, Wright-Phillips all being graduates of the youth acadamy :o

So, although us City fans are eternal optimists, we now for the first time EVER, have got mega bucks to supplement the excellent youth programmes we already have in place. I really do believe that within 3-5 years we will become a major force in world football

One thing i dont understand currently why oh why is Micah Richards playing LB??!!This has been a problem area for too long and we ned to buy a decent LB!!I dont expect a lot this season however i would like to see a bit of consistancy but shit thats a ridiculous notion were talking about City here :o

Not good news. From city's website:-

Surgery possible for Petrov

Manchester City look set to lose Martin Petrov for the next few months as initially feared.

The winger was injured while on international duty for Bulgaria, but there had been hope that work on the damaged meniscus might prevent the four month absence that was originally on the cards.

Unfortunately for the 29-year-old, a mainstay of the side in his first season at City in 2007/08, surgery now looks likely as manager Mark Hughes explains.

"Martin is going back to Spain to see his surgeon. The feeling is that the strengthening work we have been doing is not, unfortunately, going to be the answer.

"He is going to go and see if there has been any progress, and whether we are to continue with what we have been doing. If the decision is that he needs an operation, then so be it. It won't end his season, but it will be a significant length of time that he will be out, three or four months most probably."

There is, however, better news on Michael Johnson, with the midfielder having returned to training after an absence forced by a troublesome groin injury that has seen him sit on the sidelines since the Carling Cup game against Brighton in September.

Mark continues: "Johnno trained on Monday and it did not look like there was a reaction. We'll look to get him out again to work through the injury, hopefully if we do that then he'll be playing again.

"His absence has been frustrating because thinking back to the Sunderland game he played really well there. He's a different type of player to the ones I have had available recently, but he's not been an option so it would be good to get him back."

From skysports:-

Man City 3 - 2 FC Twente :o

City win five-goal thriller

McClaren loses on return to England

Manchester City picked up their first win in Group A of the Uefa Cup with an entertaining 3-2 victory over Steve McClaren's FC Twente.

Goals from Shaun Wright-Phillips, Robinho and substitute Benjani Mwaruwari were enough to give Mark Hughes's men the points, but they were made to work hard for the victory by an enterprising Twente side.

City got off to a flying start when Shaun Wright-Phillips opened the scoring after just two minutes following a neat one-two with Jo.

FC Twente caught City cold on 17 minutes when Eljero Elia raced clear of the defence to slot home past Joe Hart.

City restored their lead on 57 minutes with a sublime effort from Robinho as the Brazilian cut inside and curled a brilliant shot into the top corner.

Benjani marked his return from injury with the third goal with a deflected shot just three minutes after coming off the bench.

Twente refused to lie down and Rob Wielaert reduced the arrears on 65 minutes when he rose highest to head home from a corner.

The visitors really should have equalised in the closing stages when Stein Huysegems somehow missed from close-range with the goal at his mercy, but City hung on to take all three points.

City got off to a flying start with Wright-Phillips making the breakthrough in the second minute.

He fired a right-foot shot into the corner after a neat one-two with Jo for his fifth goal of the season.

City almost added a second three minutes later but Sander Boschker did just enough to parry Robinho's effort.

The Dutch side, however, drew level in the 17th minute when Elia won the ball, almost booting Pablo Zabaleta in the face in the process.

Referee Nikolay Ivanov allowed play to continue, which caught City cold as they were clearly anticipating a free-kick. Elia took advantage and showed a quick turn of pace before rifling a shot beyond Hart.

Jo got away from his marker in the 41st minute but his effort showed a lack of confidence and Boschker made a comfortable save. Then the Brazilian saw his back-heel saved by the goalkeeper in stoppage time after good work by Wright-Phillips.

City regained the lead in the 56th minute with that spectacular strike from record signing Robinho.

Manager Mark Hughes made a switch in attack in the 59th minute when Benjani, who had recovered from a thigh injury, replaced the ineffective Jo.

The move paid dividends as two minutes later City went 3-1 ahead with Benjani's effort taking a deflection off Douglas to leave the goalkeeper wrong-footed.

Twente, however, refused to lie down and pulled a goal back in the 64th minute thanks to a header from Wielaert.

It was a warning shot to City that this match was far from over.

Twente substitute Stein Huysegems should have pulled them level in the 71st minute but scuffed his shot wide from close range.

That acted as a wake-up call to City with Robinho seeing his effort come back off the inside of the post four minutes later.

Then Boschker did well to parry Benjani's effort in the 77th minute and Robinho saw another shot come back off the post.

Huysegems squandered another great chance of securing a point on the stroke of full-time, failing to find the target from four yards out.

It was a nail-biting finish but City just about deserved it on the balance of play and it was just the result Hughes was looking for following Premier League defeats at the hands of Bolton and Middlesbrough.

Edited by mrbojangles

Here is a question for you die-hard blues.

Can you name any City player who has left the club and developed into a better player?

I remember stars like Gary Owen, Peter Barnes, Steve Mckenzie, David White etc etc.........left and went into obscurity.

Recently Benarbia and Kinkladze ......again nothing.

Macken, Etuhu, Flood,Wright-Phillips(both brothers, although Shaun is back on track :o )

The only one I remember bettering himself was the coloured full back(I think his name was Clive Wilson) who went on to play regularly for Chelsea.

Mr Boj or anyone out there.....can you think of ANYONE?

Can you name any City player who has left the club and developed into a better player?

I remember stars like Gary Owen, Peter Barnes, Steve Mckenzie, David White etc etc.........left and went into obscurity.

Macken, Etuhu, Flood,Wright-Phillips(both brothers, although Shaun is back on track :o )

The only one I remember bettering himself was the coloured full back(I think his name was Clive Wilson) who went on to play regularly for Chelsea.

I thought Clive Wilson was playing at QPR when he left City ??

Can't remember him at Chelsea if i'm honest & even if he di, then, they were <deleted> & getting crowds of 16k etc so that's not much of an improvement & if anything, a step backwards then..

I thought Clive Wilson was playing at QPR when he left City ??

Can't remember him at Chelsea if i'm honest & even if he di, then, they were <deleted> & getting crowds of 16k etc so that's not much of an improvement & if anything, a step backwards then..

No he definately went to Chelsea first and after a few years QPR.

In the late 80s City were in the 2nd division, so although marginal, was an improvement and I remember him becoming a decent little player.

I don't know if he has become better but Ishmael Miller has been getting a lot of praise for his recent performances at West Brom.

I don't know if he has become better but Ishmael Miller has been getting a lot of praise for his recent performances at West Brom.

Yep.

Georgios Samaras is doing well at Celtic. I know it's only Scottish football :D but he seems improved.

Geovanni seems to be doing well at Hull.

David James is still england's number one and Distin keeps a regular place at Pompey.

Corluka at Spurs. Don't know if he has improved, you'll have to ask a Spurs fan. :o

That's all i can think of at the moment, as i've got one eye on the Arsenal match, who, incidentally are beating Man U 2-0 :D

Yep.

Georgios Samaras is doing well at Celtic. I know it's only Scottish football :D but he seems improved.

Geovanni seems to be doing well at Hull.

David James is still england's number one and Distin keeps a regular place at Pompey.

Corluka at Spurs. Don't know if he has improved, you'll have to ask a Spurs fan. :D

That's all i can think of at the moment, as i've got one eye on the Arsenal match, who, incidentally are beating Man U 2-0 :D

I was thinking more along the lines of players like Cantona/ Keane/ Joe Cole/ Lampard/ Defoe...players who made an impact and were valued a lot higher than when they were bought.

City just seem to have a knack of knowing when a player has reached his peak or has reached his highest level and get shot of him.

Just wondering how long before they realise Ben Haim was a mistake :o

Richard Dunne - asset or liability?

Used to consider him the mainstay of the team but after recent own goals, sendings off, etc, I'm starting to wonder.

I do not think he is a 'natural' leader.

Before he could get away with being captain, but when expectations are suddenly increased tremendously and there is the introduction of genuine world class players, I think the pressure gets to Dunney.

I think that the best thing would be to give the captaincy to another player, and lessen the pressure on Dunney

Richard Dunne - asset or liability?

Used to consider him the mainstay of the team but after recent own goals, sendings off, etc, I'm starting to wonder.

I do not think he is a 'natural' leader.

Before he could get away with being captain, but when expectations are suddenly increased tremendously and there is the introduction of genuine world class players, I think the pressure gets to Dunney.

I think that the best thing would be to give the captaincy to another player, and lessen the pressure on Dunney

I think you're right there.

It must always be difficult to take away the captaincy from a player but, if Hughes sees it as you (and I) do, then at least he has the opportunity of giving the job to someone else while Dunney is serving his 1 match ban - and if that goes OK he could make it permanent.

Wonder who would do a better job though? One of the weekend papers suggested that Robinho was in effect acting as captain but I don't think he is really ready for the job officially.

I see from The Mirror today (12 Nov) that Harry Redknapp is prepared to offer £5 million "to rescue Dunn from his nightmare at Man City."

I'd be inclined to tale that with a pinch of salt but I think Mark Hughes will surely have the names of a few new defenders on his Abu Dhabi shopping list.

I see from The Mirror today (12 Nov) that Harry Redknapp is prepared to offer £5 million "to rescue Dunn from his nightmare at Man City."

I'd be inclined to tale that with a pinch of salt but I think Mark Hughes will surely have the names of a few new defenders on his Abu Dhabi shopping list.

5m isn't a bad price really. I've been a keen supporter of Dunney but the time does come to all. Sloppiness in his game recently and we can't afford that from anyone.

Now Hughes has been given the dreaded vote of confidence, how long will it be before he's gone? Before Christmas perhaps? & will Jose step into his shoes for a 'meagre' 15 mill a season??

I was thinking the same. Hughes seems a nice enough bloke (for an ex-red) :o but i'm just not sure about his managerial skills.