The garish new fake western style building on the Tappraya Road hill

Jingthing

OK, a small update on this.

They've got a few occupants now.

Some kind of tourist adventure game thing ... don't know what it is and don't care.

At the front, kind of featured is a very large restaurant WILLIAMS CAFE and RESTAURANT.

It features a family entrance ... that's kind of weird, what is it a Chucky Cheese?

Obviously geared to a generic mix of international tourists with a Thai and western food.

It's hard to imagine the food would be exceptional.

Then there is some kind of small Country Music Beer garden concept they're starting in the center court.

So far, I can't say I'm excited or impressed! (Or would even get off the baht bus to check it out!)

Hopefully more later.

A lot of empty units!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this project is doomed to fail, especially now when the Russians are dissappearing. Yeah I walked by the other day and some girls dressed in a funny costumes wanted me be to come inside to try a detective game in the 2nd floor..... I was tempted but no happy ending so I moved on. Lots of empty shops, who want to invest there? Good luck.

Edited by balo

I think this project is doomed to fail, especially now when the Russians are dissappearing. Yeah I walked by the other day and some girls dressed in a funny costumes wanted me be to come inside to try a detective game in the 2nd floor..... I was tempted but no happy ending so I moved on. Lots of empty shops, who want to invest there? Good luck.

I think so too but I hope not. Nice spaces if they can find the right businesses.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think so too but I hope not. Nice spaces if they can find the right businesses.

The location would have been perfect for a shopping mall like Big C or Foodland. Or Mcd and Starbucks. If I was the landowner I would try to create something for both locals and tourists.

The location would have been perfect for a shopping mall like Big C or Foodland. Or Mcd and Starbucks. If I was the landowner I would try to create something for both locals and tourists.

I agree if they converted one of those front shops into a McD it would do a roaring trade.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh you nay sayers. I give them credit for at least trying to make something presentable, compared to the standard row of shop houses. Half baked at least went into the oven for a bit....

Fine but is there anything in there people want to spend money for? So far, for me, nada.

• 7 months later...

Update on this.

As far as I can tell this project appears to be a massive DUD, at least so far.

There is that "Williams Restaurant" which is largely about Middle East food so why don't they say so ... anyway, it's usually empty.

There is that games place ... not sure if it's actually operating but the sign is there.

Other than that, in that rather sizable commercial space, I don't really see anything.

Wow! I wasn't optimistic about the place but didn't expect this bad.

Do you think it's mostly about the vanishing RUSSKIES?

Edited by Jingthing

I went to the Country Beer Garden outside last night. It was very nice and the beer was only 149 baht a jug. Slight issue was no country music apart from the odd song but otherwise quite pleasant sat there watching the world go by.

I don't think that is happening there anymore but perhaps they will try again at high season time ... coffee1.gif

Update on this.

As far as I can tell this project appears to be a massive DUD, at least so far.

There is that "Williams Restaurant" which is largely about Middle East food so why don't they say so ... anyway, it's usually empty.

There is that games place ... not sure if it's actually operating but the sign is there.

Well, I would never have guessed that Williams did Middle Eastern food. I always assumed it was "International" like the other similar places further down Thappraya.

The games place had a sign up saying 30% off for a few weeks but since then I have not seen the doors open at all. It might have succeeded in or near the Royal Garden as there is already a market for that sort of entertainment there.

There are many new shop buildings etc round that area with more to come, but just a few hundred yards down Thappraya around Hanuman and towards the beach there are many vacant shops. Seems very daring to build more anywhere around there. There's what looks like a new night market going up just south of View Talay 5D also.

I notice that the Golden Friar (which switched to all-Russian signs last year) is now up for sale and rarely has anyone in it. I dont even know if they still do fish and chips as I cant read the signs!

I've looked at the Williams menu a few times but wasn't impressed with the menu. Yes they have overpriced Thai and standard boring Euro food but their main feature is Middle East food. But the menu for their middle east foods is confusing and not well presented. One time they were doing a Moroccan couscous platter on special, not cheap, and I asked them if they had harissa sauce and they said no, so I didn't bother with it.

Would they do better if they had openly marketed as a Middle Eastern place? Not sure.

Not surprised if the games place is just a sign. Never noticed any activity there.

Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing

One time they were doing a Moroccan couscous platter on special, not cheap, and I asked them if they had harissa sauce and they said no, so I didn't bother with it.

Not exactly on topic but I had a nice couscous more than once at Stroganoff II on Pratumnak. They did have Harissa (or something very similar).

It seems to have changed hands and has renamed itself Auberge de Pierre, and the menu which used to be about 400B for 4 decent courses in traditional French bistro style now seems to be nearly 800B.

I drive past Williams restaurant almost daily, always looked at it at some sort of tourist trap but it's empty most of the time so I can't see this place survive much longer. Who is the owner ? It looks kinda attractive from the outside but if they have nothing to offer It's just a waste of space really. Would be a perfect place for Starbucks and McD. Maybe in 2017.....

I drive past Williams restaurant almost daily, always looked at it at some sort of tourist trap but it's empty most of the time so I can't see this place survive much longer. Who is the owner ? It looks kinda attractive from the outside but if they have nothing to offer It's just a waste of space really. Would be a perfect place for Starbucks and McD. Maybe in 2017.....

I don't think they have nearly the foot traffic (or parking for that matter) to support a Starbucks.

I think there are some businesses that MIGHT be hits there ...

How about a Monitas from Bangkok?

Some people say locals won't pay for their prices ... but the people that would pay for it would find that location fine and a place like that would make the entire location a DESTINATION with something special that you can't find anyplace else in the entire province.

Williams, sorry, ain't that!

Monitas is only an example.

I think that's what the location needs ... a high profile DRAW that could support an anchor for other potential less buzzy ventures.

Edited by Jingthing

I walk past there most nights as i am going out. I feel sorry for the owners who look like they put a lot of effort into getting the place up and running. The owner or manager is usually stood outside and the place is empty. I have never seen more than one table occupied. Must be losing money.

Williams seems to be open 24 hours. Either that, or it opens up before 5 am. Perhaps they are full during the nighttime hours ? Maybe they are waiting for Grande Caribbean to be full of owners and renters.

That and the Axis building on the other side of the road. Both are very large but I wonder how many people will actually be living in them at any one time? Also the much smaller Treetops building.

that development looks to me like it's communal ownership (like a condo development) because there are so many outlets with for sale signs on them but all from different agencies. If it is it will be a nightmare to manage and I would imagine would fall into disrepair quite quickly with so few occupiers because there will be no incentive to carry out regular maintenance.

that development looks to me like it's communal ownership (like a condo development) because there are so many outlets with for sale signs on them but all from different agencies. If it is it will be a nightmare to manage and I would imagine would fall into disrepair quite quickly with so few occupiers because there will be no incentive to carry out regular maintenance.

I think you're probably right. Hopefully eventually the prices will drop enough to make starting businesses there viable. But I wouldn't bet on it!

I think you're probably right. Hopefully eventually the prices will drop enough to make starting businesses there viable. But I wouldn't bet on it!

I think you're probably right also!

I've seen so many communal ownership kinds of developments fail miserably and that was even in the good times when economies were buoyant.