One for the foodies...

Guderian

This looks like it will provide a welcome addition to the range of farang-oriented goodies available here.

post-51556-0-19162000-1413966800_thumb.j

For the non-Brits, M&S (Marks & Spencer) food halls stock a widely popular (if often somewhat expensive) range of food from ready meals to cold cuts, from wines to biscuits, from burgers to joints for roasting. The quality is usually excellent, and you can get some great deals like their two dine for a tenner meals (that's ten quid or around 500 Baht, not 10 Baht!). It will be interesting to see what they decide to stock in their Pattaya store (it's in the basement of the Central shopping mall, by the way). I just hope they don't concentrate on stocking their range of Thai ready meals!

At their concession within Central Festival here on Phuket the range is very limited and restricted to mainly items like biscuits. Nothing fresh. It is very expensive however their socks and underwear are very good.

The sign says food, so I'm hoping that's what they will concentrate on. Maybe they've got a line of edible panties for the bar girls? tongue.png

• Like 1

M&S food in the UK is good but rather expensive. Hard to imagine how it could fail to be even more expensive here. In Central the food section appears to occupy just a small part of the whole store, with the emphasis on clothes as one might expect.

Tops supermarket will probably still get my business for imported biscuits and such-like, not that I buy them very often.

The MS shop in Central City Bangna has been there for more than 10 years, and concentrates on clothing type items and a few dry goods - biscuits, tea, chocs, that kind of thing. The clothing side offered nothing different than what is found in Central, so almost no reason to go there. Hope the Pattaya one has a decent array of foods.

Hopefully this will be a welcome addition to Pattaya, I was a M&S fan back in UK, as they only sold top quality produce. I will be going there today, but not holding my breath.

Sorry to go a little off topic but visited the store the other the other day with the intension of buying a warm jacket for my 'Asian Size' partner to use in an upcoming visit to Hong Kong. I am 1.84 meters tall and 80 kilos, their small size 'Blue Harbour' brand fitted me very well. I don't understand why they don't cater for 'Thai Size' here, and in most other stores, this goes for shoe size as well.

M&S food in the UK is good but rather expensive. Hard to imagine how it could fail to be even more expensive here. In Central the food section appears to occupy just a small part of the whole store, with the emphasis on clothes as one might expect.

Tops supermarket will probably still get my business for imported biscuits and such-like, not that I buy them very often.

That's what I thought, between Friendship, Foodmart and the other farang-oriented stores we already have a pretty wide choice of imported biscuits and cookies so why open a new M&S if that's all they're going to stock? I can live in hope I suppose...

Grew up with Marks and Sparks but that was all many decades ago and from those days don't remember foodstuffs on offer.

Haven't been back for decades either.

Will be interesting to browse their selections though.

From the mid nineties M & S focused strongly on their grocery business and became one of the best quality food retailers. The one in my town (not wholly representative of a typical M & S store) was probably 80% food.

They are a useful addition but, as another posted said, Tops in Central Festival plus Villa Market probably stock as many high end groceries as you are likely to need.

Agree about the Xmas puddings though.smile.png

I saw a post on a FB site with pics saying that the range appeared to be biscuits, tea, wine and some chocolates

Yes, I just saw some pictures on another discussion board and that's indeed what it looked like. On the plus side they did appear to have the dark chocolate cherry liqueurs, but I didn't spot and Christmas puddings.

Went in there are there was absolutely nothing I would ever want to buy in there.

Well, one exception, they have a free range egg mayo that I would be curious to taste.

Otherwise, really nothing and really absurd prices.

I guess they have done their market research and will do OK with the chocolates, biscuits, and stuff, but not for me.

I did notice the wine. No prices on anything. So I asked about some bottles ... something like 800 baht for seemingly BASIC wine.

Could be wrong but it seemed like a level of wine you could buy at Wine Connection for 400, so why pay 800?

Ba bye!bah.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...