I made a Mistake.

I wanted to draw some money from my local Bangkok Bank ATM, I mistakenly put my credit card instead of my debit card into the ATM and it would not come back out. I went to my local Bangkok Bank branch the next day, it is in the town about 15 Ks from my village. They could only speak little English, and I could only speak little Thai, to cut a long story short they could not help me. I went to my online account and sent several messages, which they refuse to answer. I have now been about four weeks without my credit card. Surely they must have retrieved my card by now, they would know my address from that. Anyone know how I can get my credit card back?

Thanks guys, they do know what happened, I went back again today and they took my passport copies, and I signed a couple of papers, they kept me waiting so long I walked out in disgust. I am thinking of just telling them to stuff it and get my 50.000 Baht back.

Thanks guys, they do know what happened, I went back again today and they took my passport copies, and I signed a couple of papers, they kept me waiting so long I walked out in disgust. I am thinking of just telling them to stuff it and get my 50.000 Baht back.

"...they kept me waiting so long I walked out in disgust."

Sorting out your problem obviously wasn't that important to you then.

• Like 2

Not any more, they can stuff their credit card.

You won't be sending them a XMAS card then?

• Like 1

You won't be sending them a XMAS card then?

Like button not working, it never seems to work lately.

Most Thai banks as well as most banks worldwide will not give back credit & Debit cards (other than their own) seized by their ATM's because they really do not know why the card was seized. It's not unusual for cards to be seized on orders from the issuing bank for any number of reasons and it is not up to the bank that seized it to determine what those reasons are or the justice of it all.

That's between you and the unfortunate CSR at the issuing bank who fields your call.

Edited by dddave

Dealing with a bank is always a long process here. The simplest things can take forever.

Having the farang walk out in frustration is one way they take care of issues.

I'm dealing with my bank in America (Charles Schwab) now. I'm amazed at how good the customer service is, handling things over the phone with Skype. Getting anything done in Thailand...is an achievement.

I had a free standing ATM machine keep my Debit card... It was one of the yellow/orange machines - not sure which bank.

Anyway ... I paused a whole 5 seconds to move a parcel from next to my foot... I looked up and the screen flickered and it took my card... I am positive the time only a very few seconds. I called the bank - no way to get an English speaking person. I got on line with my bank and canceled the card ... got another one is about 3 weeks... but I had a back up card for another account so no big deal.

yah a lot of people also get caught with the Thai ATM machines all operating differently and generally not the same as ATMs in other countries. Most Thai ATM machines do Transaction Request, Cash Dispense, Card Eject... and there maybe no beep or indication of steps being under timer.

Usually most countries for example Singapore and Australia, machines should follow: Transaction Request, Card Eject, Cash Dispense, therefore requiring you to repossess your card before being given the cash.

Just a minor difference that catches many people out, cashed up and cardless having left it in the machine.

• Like 2

The credit card companies have strict rules about issuing cards. The bank manager handing it over to you would break all those rules.

There is no official way to get a card back once its been eaten by an ATM. The ATM should record the card details and send a card retained message. This protects you against fraudulent use otherwise the guy who just stole your wallet would walk in with your ID get your card back and try again. The bank manager posting it to you would break the card issuance rules (sealed, verified etc etc). You need to order a new card.

yah a lot of people also get caught with the Thai ATM machines all operating differently and generally not the same as ATMs in other countries. Most Thai ATM machines do Transaction Request, Cash Dispense, Card Eject... and there maybe no beep or indication of steps being under timer.

Usually most countries for example Singapore and Australia, machines should follow: Transaction Request, Card Eject, Cash Dispense, therefore requiring you to repossess your card before being given the cash.

Just a minor difference that catches many people out, cashed up and cardless having left it in the machine.

Yes, I got caught out during a recent return visit to Thailand.

I realised that I'd left my Australian credit card in a Bangkok Bank ATM on a Friday evening; thankfully I only use ATMs attached to branches, and this was a branch we used regularly when we lived there a few years ago, so the next day my wife went in to see if they'd retrieved it - they had, but wanted to see my passport before they'd give it back to me (my passport was being held by the manager of the apartment we were renting, and wasn't available that day). We returned to the branch on the Monday, passport in hand, and after a brief discussion, had the card returned within five minutes.

The card was in a plastic sleeve with other cards, kept in a safe, and I filled out a log book which had the details of other cards that had been retained and/or returned.

The credit card companies have strict rules about issuing cards. The bank manager handing it over to you would break all those rules.

There is no official way to get a card back once its been eaten by an ATM. The ATM should record the card details and send a card retained message. This protects you against fraudulent use otherwise the guy who just stole your wallet would walk in with your ID get your card back and try again. The bank manager posting it to you would break the card issuance rules (sealed, verified etc etc). You need to order a new card.

What you write is incorrect, according to the current (15 April, 2014) Visa International Operating Regulations (PDF, 2.4MB):

Accidental Card Retention at an ATM

If a hardware or software failure causes mistaken or accidental Card retention, an ATM Acquirer must return the Card to the Cardholder using the following procedures:

• Review positive Cardholder identification and compare the Cardholder's signature to that on the Card signature panel
  • If the Cardholder does not request the return of the Card, the ATM Acquirer must follow the Card retention rules specified in the Visa International Operating Regulations

Obviously, using a standalone ATM would complicate matters, as in most cases the bank outsources the clearing of these to third parties; which is why I always use ATMs attached to branches.

Edited by jamesbrock