PM Gen. Prayut orders stricter security measures for public and tourists

Lite Beer

PM Gen. Prayut orders stricter security measures for public and tourists

BANGKOK, 25 October 2014 - The Prime Minister has ordered security-related agencies to step up their safety measures for both members of the public and tourists.

Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday said that he had instructed all relevant agencies to strictly enforce the laws to ensure safety of the public and foreign tourists in the country.

The PM's order came in light of the recent reports of the killing of overseas visitors while in Thailand.

More volunteers should be recruited as the police and the military may not be able to thoroughly cover all areas, said the PM.

Despite the restoration of stability and the enforcement of security measures across the country, it appeared that there remain some flaws in the entire operation that call for more concerted efforts to bring the peace of mind to everyone, Gen. Prayut concluded.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-25 footer_n.gif

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I moved to Thailand about 20 years ago, it seemed like violent crimes against foreigners were less frequent than they are today. It seemed as if there was a sort of unspoken agreement that foreigners were not to be touched by violent crimes (although scams against us were not only allowed, but actively encouraged - as remains the case today). Thai criminals back then feared being punished for committing violent crimes against foreigners. Nowadays it seems to be the exact opposite: Nowadays it seems that we are the preferred victims for violent crimes - with little fear of punishment. Of course this could all be just my imagination - and my aging memory. Does anybody else remember things this way?

I do well remember, but we cannot possibly see a complete reversal, in a few months - again every government has a big say in what's happening, and who has been the main party for so long ??

More untrained and often useless volunteers? Many of them only in it to satisfy their power-deficiency? Just get the existing teams organized, copy other countries who handle tourist areas quite well. It would be so easy to set-up/copy proven schemes. Policing and appearance often is completely ridiculous here. Minor incidents end in a complete mess with all kinds of officials and volunteers speeding to the scene from all directions, nobody being in charge and giving clear orders. Can't be that difficult? Establish clear procedures and chain of command. Use the now available, disciplined army police to establish discreet checkpoints along the high crime beach and other areas. Etc. Etc. >>>>>>>>>Just realized I was daydreaming...By no means meaning to put down the "good" volunteers, without them it could be even worse. thumbsup.gif MS>

Man, he really doesn't get it. Clueless.

HE gets it YOU don't....................if security is strengthened all the better for local and Tourist. 5 mins ago your clan were shouting for more---now he want's for the betterment you cry it down.........so much for your agenda.

Martial law in place and security needs to be tightened!

Something wrong with that don't you think?

Something wrong if you wish to just link the two together. Tourism protection from many sources, more protection for locals going about their everyday lives, Different levels of security, Martial law does not cover many of the PMs proposals.

In fact by the sound of things from you 2. you do not want improvement as it will show your agenda up.

• Like 1

When I moved to Thailand about 20 years ago, it seemed like violent crimes against foreigners were less frequent than they are today. It seemed as if there was a sort of unspoken agreement that foreigners were not to be touched by violent crimes (although scams against us were not only allowed, but actively encouraged - as remains the case today). Thai criminals back then feared being punished for committing violent crimes against foreigners. Nowadays it seems to be the exact opposite: Nowadays it seems that we are the preferred target for violent crimes - with little fear of punishment. Of course this could all be just my imagination - and my aging memory. Does anybody else remember things this way?

agreed

in the 70's felt as safe as houses even in the lion's den

• Like 1

"Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday said that he had instructed all relevant agencies to strictly enforce the laws to ensure safety of the public and foreign tourists in the country."

Instructed what exactly? Which laws to enforce to aid the public and tourists?

Empty words if you ever saw any!

P. Clamp down guys.

R. Clamp down on what exactly, Sir?

P. I said clamp down, so just do it!

R. Ok, Sir, but we have no idea what you are talking about.

P. I am talking about what I said. Are you questioning my authority?

R. No, Sir. We'll carry on as usual, as you instruct with your untouchable authority. wai2.gif

• Like 2

When I moved to Thailand about 20 years ago, it seemed like violent crimes against foreigners were less frequent than they are today. It seemed as if there was a sort of unspoken agreement that foreigners were not to be touched by violent crimes (although scams against us were not only allowed, but actively encouraged - as remains the case today). Thai criminals back then feared being punished for committing violent crimes against foreigners. Nowadays it seems to be the exact opposite: Nowadays it seems that we are the preferred victims for violent crimes - with little fear of punishment. Of course this could all be just my imagination - and my aging memory. Does anybody else remember things this way?

I do well remember, but we cannot possibly see a complete reversal, in a few months - again every government has a big say in what's happening, and who has been the main party for so long ??

Never let it be said that your efforts to blame Thaksin for everything, including the price of eggs, go unnoticed. However, the fact remains that crimes against foreigners pre-date Thaksin by years or decades. The most violent series of crimes were the attacks by taxi drivers picking up (female) tourists /visitors from the airport. Robbery, rape, murder.That was in the 90s. What is different is the reporting of crime and the discussion of it on social media.

As others have suggested on another thread, re-opening old cases of accidental death, suicide, SUDs might well turn up more cases of murder.

Who the hell blamed Thaksin for the price of egg increase. ??? And again it doesn't pre date Thaksin re crimes it includes most of his era.

So you wish to pick on me for nailing Thaksin for this increase----lie.

If you want to post do not include me if I did NOT say these things. HE had a lot to answer for as he was in power for many a year.

"Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday said that he had instructed all relevant agencies to strictly enforce the laws to ensure safety of the public and foreign tourists in the country."

P. Clamp down guys.

R. No, Sir. We'll carry on as usual, as you instruct with your untouchable authority. wai2.gif

Ridiculous post from an outraged ante PM poster.

• Like 1

P. Clamp down guys.

If you want facts---PTP must hold the Guiness Book of Records for the most Clampdowns----short memory eh !!!

P. Clamp down guys.

If you want facts---PTP must hold the Guiness Book of Records for the most Clampdowns----short memory eh !!!

You must be up for the Guinness Book of Records for posts in a forum in record time.

• Like 1

P. Clamp down guys.

You must be up for the Guinness Book of Records for posts in a forum in record time.

If you guys took a breather instead of slagging the PM for any reason you can come up with, then my post count may lessen.

Is this all you can come up with after a few of you have shot yourselves in the foot.

If you are to complain make sure that PTP wasn't doing a worse job. Don't you think that would be better thinking. ??

Do not forget every time you complain about my post count YOU yes YOU are adding one----OMG

• Like 1

Man, he really doesn't get it. Clueless.

HE gets it YOU don't....................if security is strengthened all the better for local and Tourist. 5 mins ago your clan were shouting for more---now he want's for the betterment you cry it down.........so much for your agenda.

I think snig27 does get it. The General has said there's not enough police and military to go around and is asking for volunteers. The police and military are trained and still useless so how will untrained volunteers (assuming they can get any) going to help or work? Seems to me the good general does a lot of ordering and nothing happens, why should anybody think this will be different. I know you're going to come back and waffle oin about evicting people from national forests etc (people who have probably lived there for generations) but in the big scheme of things, so what?

• Like 1