Retirement visa affidavit from US consulate no longer valid?

Ubonjoe, thanks for your reply. I do not have either the funds or sufficient pension, or a combination, to meet the requirements of 800,000. Last year the US consulate stamped an affidavit without requiring proof. From what I'm told, this is no longer accepted as "proof". I was told that immigration must now see all documentation showing financial resources.

Phuket for the past 2 years has required back up to the us letter.

either a bank letter from ur us bank or ss statement is what i use doing the combo method

Every immigration as has been stated many many times is a law unto themselves

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's break this down.

You say you don't have the income STREAM going into Thailand.

OK, so I'd like to ask some more questions.

Do you have the ACTUAL INCOME that you were planning to state to the U.S. embassy, or not?

If so, then what is this real income from?

It seems to me if this income is real and it could have qualified you based on an embassy letter, there should be a way to show evidence of this income (as opposed to the stream which you have not been importing).

So in that case, it might help to state the source of your income and we can suggests ideas to prove it.

You do realize there has never been a rule (and is not now) that people using income methods must import the stated amount into Thailand?

Money shown in Thai banks for qualification with bank method (or combo) of course has already been imported but no need to import the full amount annually.

I agree there probably isn't any real rule change as you were told.

Generally, applicants using an income letter would be wise to bring in supporting evidence of their income when going in to immigration JUST IN CASE they are skeptical of your claim. This advice more so for applicants with letters from embassies that they KNOW do not require proof for the letter, like Americans.

"Generally, applicants using an income letter would be wise to bring in supporting evidence of their income when going in to immigration JUST IN CASE they are skeptical of your claim. This advice more so for applicants with letters from embassies that they KNOW do not require proof for the letter, like Americans. "

Yes, it's easy enough to get a certificate from Social Security and it should be fairly straight-forward to get similar information from a pension provider or other sources of income that you are including in what you claim when getting the US Embassy affidavit. I make sure I have that back-up documentation with me when I go in to apply because I don't want to have to scramble to get it at the last minute if asked.

I usually attach it to the embassy affidavit ... and I bring along my Bangkok Bank information as well even though my income should be sufficient on its own. Sometimes the extra documentation has been kept by immigrations and sometimes it's been handed back to me. Better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it ... and considering how often people here announce that no proof is necessary for the US Embassy (and others), the more likely it is that they may want some supporting documentation. If not now, soon.

Ubonjoe, thanks for your reply. I do not have either the funds or sufficient pension, or a combination, to meet the requirements of 800,000. Last year the US consulate stamped an affidavit without requiring proof. From what I'm told, this is no longer accepted as "proof". I was told that immigration must now see all documentation showing financial resources.

Well if you made a false claim that you were receiving a certain amount of income on an affidavit notarized by the US Consulate and then submitted it as part of an application to Thai Immigrations, that has never been acceptable. In both cases you were essentially declaring that the information you submitted was true and accurate, not something you pulled out of the air.

Exactly the sort of thing that eventually creates problems for everyone.

The problem is not Thai Immigrations. The problem is all the people bending the rules and using false information in their applications. Each Immigrations officer has the right and the responsibility to use his/her discretion in asking for verification or clarification ... and obviously there is a need for that in some cases.

Edited by Suradit69

either a bank letter from ur us bank or ss statement is what i use doing the combo method

I'm not sure what kind of U.S. bank letter you're talking about, in terms of anything that would be meaningful to Thai Immigration???

AFAIK, U.S. banks will issue a letter certifying someone is the owner of an account, and perhaps listing the balance as of a certain date. But I've never heard of U.S. banks issuing letters dealing with monthly income or monthly deposits.

And, of course, as far as Thai Immigration extensions of stay are concerned, the only bank deposits they're normally concerned with are THAI bank deposits, not those in the U.S., in terms of satisfying the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (or portion thereof for combo applications) requirement.

Let's be careful here. Falsifying information on the income affidavit letter is a serious crime. I doubt anybody here has been prosecuted for this yet, but you never know with all the changes going on currently. It's an easy way for an immigration official to extract a lot of money out of you...while you are perhaps locked up in jail.

And please, do not recommend dodgy visa companies to help get around this issue. The ramifications if caught could be quite serious. And it's against forum rules to discuss activities which are illegal in the Kingdom.

Best of luck to the OP. One option is to buy that elite card that gives you a 5 year visa. It's 500k, but in the end, won't be much more than all the fees you'll pay for an ED visa. The latter are being scrutinized very closely right now also.

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Chizod, your agency is wrong. Don't use an agency, take the income letter with a copy of your passport to immigration, pay the 1900 baht and get your own extension. The agency does nothing for you and in your case it seems they are even making it more difficult for you. Wise up.

Chizod, your agency is wrong. Don't use an agency, take the income letter with a copy of your passport to immigration, pay the 1900 baht and get your own extension. The agency does nothing for you and in your case it seems they are even making it more difficult for you. Wise up.

It could be the agency itself might be under scrutiny and that's what is behind their message.

BTW ... I wasn't aware that anyone was suggesting that anyone should make a false claim to an embassy about amount of income for letter. I certainly didn't. I have advised against this for several years.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

OP ... I suggest you get the income affidavit form completed by the Embassy, fill out all the other forms, take your passport, dress a little extra nicely, pressed long pants, long sleeve shirt... nice shoes... look sharp... go to the immigration office - and keep everything simple .. it never pays to bring up anything not asked for - IMO.

BACKSTOP --- However, should the worst happen and your are denied. A round trip flight to Honolulu, Hawaii over 3-4 up to 5 days - counting flight time and time on the ground -- flight cost about $1,100. Stay in as least expensive place you can find. The address of the Royal Thai Honorary Counsel Generals Office is posted on TVF - I also have it plus the one in Portland, OR and Dallas, TX... For $200.00 you can easily get a Non Imm. Multi-Entry 'O' visa --- with a one year duration with ability to extend up to a total of 15 months... It does require Border Runs at least every 90 days... But under the Non Imm multi O you will then have plenty of time to work out future plans or even to save money... It is better than fooling with a ED Visa which is just as costly or more so in the long run and it can be a big headache.

Just a suggestion... personally my first suggestion - which you are basically already pursuing will work fine.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 1

The embassy letter is not enough for Phuket. I supply a letter from my bank (don't ask me how I get it) that states I pull on the average of 75000 baht through ATM transactions. That 75000 matches what it says on the embassy statement. I also supply a copy of the ATM card that I use to pull the money. That satisfies Phuket Immigration and should satisfy every other office if they want more. This is for US expats. Other countries, who knows?

1. Embassy income statement

2. Letter from American bank stating you are pulling the amount on the embassy income statement

3. Copy of the credit card

• 1 month later...

Just got my retirement extension a few minutes ago. I showed them my income statement from the consulate , with no issues. They did tell me however that there will be some new rules, and i needed to come back, in a few weeks. Does anyone know what this is about?

Which immigration office???

Just got my retirement extension a few minutes ago. I showed them my income statement from the consulate , with no issues. They did tell me however that there will be some new rules, and i needed to come back, in a few weeks. Does anyone know what this is about?

If you just successfully got a new retirement extension, it doesn't make any sense that you would need to go back to that office (except for address reports) until you need a new one in a year's time!

There have been reports that a couple of offices have begun an "under consideration" period for retirement extensions similar to that required for marriage extensions. It requires that the applicant go back in on a fixed date to get the balance of their 1 year extension.

There have been reports that a couple of offices have begun an "under consideration" period for retirement extensions similar to that required for marriage extensions. It requires that the applicant go back in on a fixed date to get the balance of their 1 year extension.

Yes, understood, but the above poster said he "got" his extension already. If it's "under consideration" he has not gotten it yet. It's like being pregnant, you either are or you ain't. Thus my questioning of the logic of that post.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes i did get it.. Stamped right there in my passport. Been here 12yrs , never had this happen before. They gave me a return date before jan 4. Wife told me it had something to do with the new PM rule changes. Above poster could be right.

In what form was the return date of 04 JAN given to you? If it was in writing, it will help if you give us the text of that.

Yes i did get it.. Stamped right there in my passport. Been here 12yrs , never had this happen before. They gave me a return date before jan 4. Wife told me it had something to do with the new PM rule changes. Above poster could be right.

A rule change applied RETROACTIVELY to people with currently valid extension stamps in their passports? I have never heard of this being done ... ever ... so I remain skeptical. This would imply if you can't meet the new rule change your current stamp may be invalid. Very weird if true.

Good luck regardless.

Stamped on a reciet for the 1900 baht. He first told me to come back in a week. Then i ask my wife if there was any certain day or date he wanted me to come back. Thats when he stamped the date on it. Not sure if im on hold or whats going on?? Its not the 90 day report. Like ive said been here 12 yrs. Should have been a slam dunk. Wife doesnt seem to upset.

Stamped on a reciet for the 1900 baht. He first told me to come back in a week. Then i ask my wife if there was any certain day or date he wanted me to come back. Thats when he stamped the date on it. Not sure if im on hold or whats going on?? Its not the 90 day report. Like ive said been here 12 yrs. Should have been a slam dunk. Wife doesnt seem to upset.

OK, so now if I'm reading this correctly, you DO NOT have the new retirement extension stamp actually in your PASSPORT. That's entirely different if that's what you're saying. My skepticism was in the case of you ALREADY having a new stamp in your PASSPORT.

Ya know what...I just renewed my mother's retirement visa 2 weeks ago. This is her 2nd renewal. I didn't pay attention when I picked up the passport, and nothing was mentioned, but the date is January 13, 2015 for the date in the visa stamp. I've got to back and do her 90 day reporting next week anyway, so figured I'd get it corrected then.

Sounds like it wasn't a mistake after all????

post-5869-0-80700700-1417080418_thumb.jp

Ya know what...I just renewed my mother's retirement visa 2 weeks ago. This is her 2nd renewal. I didn't pay attention when I picked up the passport, and nothing was mentioned, but the date is January 13, 2015 for the date in the visa stamp. I've got to back and do her 90 day reporting next week anyway, so figured I'd get it corrected then.

Sounds like it wasn't a mistake after all????

It is a mistake.

A under consideration stamp says that on it with a report back date.

Stamp.

post-66997-0-75673700-1417081009_thumb.p

• Like 1

Please, do not use any agency to do your retirement extension. Agencies are known to creates non existing problems to justify its services. Also its can creates more problems for you that solutions. Any unnecesary new document you present at inmmigration will be recorded in its computers and will be need to present the next time. Make your life simple. Do your immigration documentation by your self, personally, and build report with the immigration officers. At the present, the US Embassy affidavit for the necessary montlhy income it is enough.