Malaysian Muslim receives death threats for dog-petting event

Lite Beer

Malaysian Muslim receives death threats for dog-petting event

Kuala Lumpur: -- A man who organised a dog-petting event for Muslims in Malaysia has received death threats from religious fundamentalists who consider dogs to be untouchable.

The threats have been continuous for Syed Azmi Alhabshi, a Muslim himself, who hosted the "I want to touch a dog" event in Kuala Lumpur last week that drew nearly 1,000 people, according to his lawyer Shahredzen Johan.

"He has been getting severe death threats," he said.

Shahredzan said he received nearly 2,000 messages on his mobile phone within one hour on Friday. Detractors have obtained his phone number and published it on the internet.

Syed Azmi, a pharmacist who runs various charitable programmes for orphans and the homeless, is being accused of being an apostate.

He issued a statement apologising for the uproar that arose from the dog event.

His intention was merely to help people "overcome a fear of dogs, how to help them when they are in trouble and the limitations in the Islamic context," Syed Azmi said. "The programme is an educational process to respect Allah’s creatures that are increasingly held in contempt and abused by our society."

He said the programme had received approval from the relevant Islamic authorities, and furnished copies of their correspondences to the media.

The same authorities, however, claimed they were "misled." They were reportedly shocked by media photos of Muslims including women in hijab cuddling with the dogs.

The National Fatwa Council issued a dictum on Thursday that touching dogs violates the Imam Shafie teachings, the main Islamic doctrine in Malaysia.

Some 60 per cent of the 29 million population is Muslim. Malaysia is generally viewed as a moderate society, but fundamentalism is gaining afoot hold.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Malaysian-Muslim-receives-death-threats-for-dog-pe-30246245.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-25

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As opposed to say, 'moderate' death threats? :mellow:

No one is bashing moderate Muslims. The complaints are about radical Muslims and fundamentalism. They are the ones issuing the death threats against moderate Muslims for petting dogs. .

For many of this lot, there is no difference.
Well I'm starting to realise the term 'moderate Muslims' is, like 'living dead', a bit of an oxymoron. Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 2

Ten years ago Malaysia was pushing something called Islam Hadari, supposed to be Islam for the modern world. Billboards about it featuring a picture of the PM, including the wing-nut states on the NE of the peninsula.

It didn't do too well. It did a good job of bolstering the fundamentalist movement, though.

So it seems the attitude of this fringe is "Anything I don't like is an offence to g_d, and the only punishment for that is death."

The other day I saw a pic of Miley Cyrus holding a baby pig. Wonder how many death threats she got for that. A lot less countries to play on her world tour.

This news story is a good example on how media sources focus on the negatives from the conservatives / extremists in the Islamic world. I could be wrong, but I do not recall positive stories e.g. condemning IS actions by Muslim leaders by TV news contributors.

• Like 1

No one is bashing moderate Muslims. The complaints are about radical Muslims and fundamentalism. They are the ones issuing the death threats against moderate Muslims for petting dogs. .

If the supposed "moderates" would out the "radicals", I could agree that "moderates" exist

. Until that happens, the world must treat all muslims as suspiciously as we would treat known radicals.

Inactive complicity is essentially support

. The "radicals" would not be able to function outside the area controlled

by the new Militant threat in the middle east without the silence of those who know

and dont report... ... ...

I suppose you've missed that little bit of news about the young Pakistani girl who nearly got her head blown off for promoting education for girls had just won a Nobel prize....

So do I treat her as a potential jihadist, or had she done enough in your book to be deemed 'worthy'?

• Like 2

As opposed to say, 'moderate' death threats? :mellow:

Well I'm starting to realise the term 'moderate Muslims' is, like 'living dead', a bit of an oxymoron.
Four legs good, two legs bad....

I bet you do a cracking rendition of 'Beasts of England'.

Moderate Muslim is not an oxymoron. I know quite a few moderate Muslims. Some of them are moderate enough that I didn't even know they were Muslim. They are not lapsed, they haven't given up the faith, but they seldom actively participate in it, except when it comes to traditions like births, deaths and marriage.

The moderates get almost no attention, but let's remember, all the people who went to pet the dogs were probably moderates.

Is that what being a moderate muslim is, is it? Barely being a Muslim?

I always thought it was a term to define people who are true Muslims but we're not radical or fundamental about it but your definition fits in with my belief that there is no such thing as a moderate true Muslim.

• Like 1