Advice please.

I realise that Ubonjoe is fast asleep by now but I have an issue which is bothering me and so I am looking for advice.

I have lived here since May 2010 and apart from one 'border bounce' I have been on an extension connected to my job.

In September the company I worked for elected to make me redundant but promised not to cancel my WP (and there for my permission to stay) until such a time as I secured a new position. This they have honoured.

I now have a new position and am ready to cancel my existing WP.

I have informed my old employer and they propose to cancel it on the 29th of this month with the Phuket Labour Dept.

My new employer has asked that as soon as this is done I fly to BKK and submit all my documents to the One Stop unit and thus receive a new WP and visa extension on the day.

Given that I have no control over the speed of work at the Phuket end I very much doubt that I will reach BKK in time for the 14.30 deadline for submission.

I believe that I should leave the country immediately but is there really any leeway? I have had people say that I have 7 days to get out (highly unlikely) and others that say 24 hrs.

Any chance of attending the One Stop the next day?

Maybe I should simply leave prior to the date (without a re-entry permit) and get an exemption tourist pass of 30 days and just let the company sort it out?

Your advice please folks.

As nobody has answered, for now this input: you have 7 days to jump ship after the WP is cancelled and the visa going with it. Your new employer should advance his side of the process so that you have the confirmation letter for the application for WP in your hands when you formally cancel your old contract. I still think you have to visit a consulate outside of TH to pick up a new visa locked to the new contract and WP.

Just a speculation based on this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767028-work-permit-and-working-for-more-than-one-school/?hl=%2Bsecond+%2Bwp

As your current employer is cooperating with you, seems a possibility to have two jobs at the time. Get settled into the new one before dropping the old one would seem to keep you in the country. Although I wouldn't know how salary, taxes and insurance would be handled by your current employer during the transition.

I suggest you cancel you your extension and apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave on the date you cancel your current extension.

I think the one stop will process your extension and work permit application within that 7 days.

There has been one odd report of an immigration office not doing an extension during those 7 days.

Update and further question.

My extension was cancelled this morning along with my work permit and this afternoon I got a 7 day extension for 1900thb.

The company I will be working for have said that the OneStop cannot process on an extension so therefore I need to go and do a border bounce and come back in with a 30 day non visa permission.

I am a UK passport holder based on Phuket. I have 2 options.... bus to Satun or plane to wherever. Financially the bus wins hands down but will I get the 30 days? I have no visa exempt stamps in this passport (2010 vintage) and only 3 holiday stamps of 1 week duration prior to that on an old passport.

I am a UK passport holder based on Phuket. I have 2 options.... bus to Satun or plane to wherever. Financially the bus wins hands down but will I get the 30 days? I have no visa exempt stamps in this passport (2010 vintage) and only 3 holiday stamps of 1 week duration prior to that on an old passport.

Wang Prachan shouldn't be a problem. Carry Bt 10,000 to show just in case you're asked.

quick update to all those who took the time to reply.... having contacted several visa run bus agencies here on Phuket, all are saying that there is no way to get 30 days other than flying. 15 days is all that is on offer at land crossings despite having a G7 nation passport. So its off to Singapore on Saturday on a day return.

thanks to all those who responded.

quick update to all those who took the time to reply.... having contacted several visa run bus agencies here on Phuket, all are saying that there is no way to get 30 days other than flying. 15 days is all that is on offer at land crossings despite having a G7 nation passport. So its off to Singapore on Saturday on a day return.

They are very wrong, you have multiple reports here daily about people from G7 countries crossing by land and getting 30 days, I did it myself more than once as well.

I did explain that, making it clear I had a G7 passport but.... same reply from all..... anyway, flight booked to Singapore.... it'll be nice to get out for the day anyway. Thanks for your input; much appreciated.

Anyway.... off I popped to the airport this morning, checked in at terminal B (Tigger Air) and then headed back into the main terminal for breakfast. Rather good Ham, bacon and melted cheese salad baguette (freshly prepared) along with a mug of Earl Grey tea and I was ready to face/fight the world.

Headed into Immigration ( Shouldn't that be emigration seeing as you are leaving the country? ) and hit the full force of our former adversaries, and now just Red friends on their way to fill a 747-400 to the brim on their way back to Siberia. Chaos is tame in attempting to describe the imbecilic miscomprehension of simple queues as evidenced today.

Happily a nice Thai gentleman in a uniform came along and told me that if I wished, and for the small consideration of 50 thb I might avail myself of the Diplomatic/fast track lane.

I believe I may have exceeded the speed of greased wombat excreta in taking up his kind offer and was very shortly ensconced in the departures lounge.

The flight on Tigger airways was average and Singapore T2 was just amazing. One thing that really struck me was the lack of noise..... considering the noise that Chinese, Indians, Merkins etc normally make, the place was like a graveyard.

Then it struck me..... they had carpets.... all over the place it was carpeted. Bugger to clean I am sure but they sure do absorb the noise.

It was then about 13.00 and feeling a bit peckish I decided that I had seen enough and needed to eat. I had a great North Indian Vegetarian Thali (only because it was an all veg restaurant) and it was superb.... it cost 17 SGD (430 thb ish) and suitably filled (but windy) I went into the departures area.

I there discovered that a bottle of Tiger beer also cost 17 SGD ++ !!!!....... 500thb for a beer?.... bugger that for a game of soldiers!

So it was a long wander over acres of carpet, taking pictures of the A380 Whale until it was time to board...... how I would have loved to go into TM Lewin for a few tailored real shirts.... maybe next time eh?

Then on arrival at the gate to go back..... Tigerrrrr has done its usual and delayed the flight..... by 1.45 hrs...... OK , shit happens and its not as though I have anything else planned today so I go for a few more laps of T2, charge my gaypad, get a free calf massage from one of the machines and duly report again on schedule.

So, the buggers then decide to change from E2 gate to F37..... have you any idea how far that is??? it's on the other end of the <deleted> terminal!..... even the sign says it can be 15 minutes!!!..... so I leg it pronto to F37, arriving there not quite breathless but certainly at risk of a heart attack (.... that's why they have those AED machines all over the place.... just for Tiger air passengers it seems) and upon arrival they then decide to change it again to F33

Bastards..... but... hahaha.... now I am at the front of the queue and in I go to grab one of the comfy chairs........ Som nom na....

Arriving at Phuket was disappointing..... seriously hard braking upon landing.... I think someone got a brake temperature bollocking as he was outside in the rain as we left the aircraft..... into an bus!......They couldn't even arrange a stand.

My welcome back to Phuket was made replete by a stupid Irish <deleted> bringing his kids back into the country without a letter from his former bargirl saying he could.....Yes, I got stuck behind them. By the time I eventually got to the desk there were 6 Immigration officers crowding into one booth and they were hunting bear!!!..... 20 minutes later, I kid you not, I was released amongst loads of laughter and waiis with simple 30 days tourist exemption which was all I needed in the first place.

Changi.... what a wonderful airport!!.... Ananda Bhavan restaurant.. you could almost convert me to a rabbit food eater. Tiger Airways.... never again, ..... Phuket Emigration and Immigration.... thanks guys.

Edited by tolsti