Thailand to 'allow' second DNA test for British murder accused

webfact

Thailand to 'allow' second DNA test for British murder accused
Bangkok, Thaïland | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's premier said Wednesday that police will allow two Myanmar men accused of killing a pair of British tourists on a Thai island to have another DNA test, as questions mount over the murder probe.

Thai police hailed a breakthrough in their investigation of the double murders after claiming DNA from the accused migrant workers matched samples taken from the body of one of the victims and that the men had confessed.

Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Tun were charged with the murder of David Miller, 24, and the rape and murder of Hannah Witheridge, 23, after the tourists' battered bodies were found on the southern island of Koh Tao on September 15.

But last week the men, both in their 20s, retracted their confessions, alleging they were obtained under duress.

Criticism of the police handling of the case has swirled both in Thailand and overseas.

"We will allow suspects to take another DNA test," Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha told reporters after a weekly cabinet meeting. "If they think that the previous tests were unfair we will conduct a second test."

It was not immediately clear if the accused had requested a second DNA test.

Thai authorities have strongly denied using the pair as scapegoats, insisting the case is built on solid evidence showing the DNA of the accused from initial tests matches samples taken from Witheridge's body.

British police have been allowed to observe the investigation after the UK expressed concerns and offered to help with the probe.

Before the murders, Thailand was already struggling to restore its tarnished image as a tourist haven after a May coup saw martial law imposed across the country.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-10-29

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why "allow" in quotes?

No point to ask on here, please contact AFP they surely will be able to tell you

And no point in trying to contact AFP, I've tried before, they don't answer.

If the quotes are justified, then it means "under certain conditions." That's what I am afraid of.

Oh they're going to allow them to test them again? Does this mean they are going to allow the most likely real murderers to refuse to give their DNA again as well? What's the point of doing the same test on the same people again?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How very strange that happens on the very same day, that the Headmans son has ageed to give his DNA!!

Anyone else smell a rat here??w00t.gif width=18 alt=w00t.gif>

I am reserving judgment. It is possible that this is the start of a process aimed at putting the real perps behind bars. It is also possibly an attempt to lend legitimacy to the original flawed investigation.

They fixed it! Again! 55555555

• Like 1

But who will do the DNA analysis? Same Thai (government) laboratory as before? or will they allow the British to do independent tests?

And that's the whole issue most people have. They should allow a joint test to be done - British and Thai and then compare the results.

• Like 1

How very strange that happens on the very same day, that the Headmans son has ageed to give his DNA!!

Anyone else smell a rat here??w00t.gif

I am reserving judgment. It is possible that this is the start of a process aimed at putting the real perps behind bars. It is also possibly an attempt to lend legitimacy to the original flawed investigation.

OR

With 3 new tests going to the lab at the same time, a "mistake" could so easily happen!!

A swap of the swabs!! (Makes sense?)

Edited by JOC

Doesn't make much sense unless there is some problem with the previously done tests. The profile isn't going to change no matter how 'unfair' the taking of the sample was - sounds more like the prosecutors are not happy with the records/details of the first tests which is why they are saying the case is not complete yet.

The case is weak, the prosecutors still require more solid evidence from the police. Something is very wrong and I think the PM knows it. I'm hoping the British Police have more up their sleeve than we know.

• Like 1

It seems they are confident.

The British have the DNA from the victims and they will be able to compare.

Let's hope the truth comes out and stop the speculation.

I hope the British have the original samples and not something taken from the probable scapegoats.
  • Like 1