ISS & Soyuz 2-1A tonight

T_Dog

Amazing sight tonight as ISS made a pass directly over Chiang Mai with the alternate Soyuz rocket right behind it. Didn't realize the resupply ships were visible but sure saw it up there. Wondering if anyone else saw the pass at 7:03 PM? If you have never observed the International Space Station, you can sign up for email alerts at: http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• Like 2

Saw it tonight. Very cool! It has to be seen to be appreciated. Thanks to all who posted.

BTW, there is also an IOS app called "ISS Finder" that works quite well and uses the built in compass to show you where to look.

The email alerts did not work for me tonight.

Most commentators seem to be convinced this is another example of why the US had totally abandoned their space ventures and now rely on the Russians to do even the US share of the Space Station.

Nice. Too bad that the American resupply rocket blew up today 15 seconds after takeoff. Some are blaming the Russian engines in the first stage.

Edited by Rotweiler

I had no idea you would be able to see a space station - how often does it pass by?

Konini.... Sign up here with your location and email address. You will get an email (about 12 hours in advance) telling you when the next pass is and what direction it appears from. On nights with no moon, it is the brightest object in the sky so hard to miss. Some passes are up to six minutes long.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• Like 1

Saw it tonight. Very cool! It has to be seen to be appreciated. Thanks to all who posted.

BTW, there is also an IOS app called "ISS Finder" that works quite well and uses the built in compass to show you where to look.

I'm using one called ISS Detector which uses the compass and the 'tilt' sensor in the phone to show you what elevation to look too. Basicly align the compass and the tilt sensor to the bullseye, look along the plane of the phone and there's the ISS

• Like 1

I'm using one called ISS Detector which uses the compass and the 'tilt' sensor in the phone to show you what elevation to look too. Basicly align the compass and the tilt sensor to the bullseye, look along the plane of the phone and there's the ISS

There are also apps for Iridium flares, those bright reflections you see from low orbit Iridium satellite solar arrays visible even in the daylight hours. I remember when they were first spotted, us engineers spent countless hours coming up with calculations and programs to predict when we could see one. Now anyone can have it on their smart phone!

Tonight, Saturday, an early evening pass for Chiang Mai. Here is what the email notifications look like:

Time: Sat Nov 01 6:13 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 41 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: SSE

• Like 2