VIDEO: Phuket motorbike taxi driver shot dead ‘in road rage’

Lite Beer

Sadly this sort of behaviour is becoming common the world over. There are people out there that could shot or stab someone to death without hesitation, snuff others out like an insect without the slightest remorse.

The problem being is that there are those who mingle among us in society that are just simply crazies, incapable of rational thoughts like they have the spirits of mad dogs inside them waiting to get out. Being incapable of rational thinking means there can be no real deterrents placed by the law that will make these crazies consider their actions first, they just automatically react with blind rage.

The world have become a dangerous place, we never know who is going to be the next victim of being in the wrong places at the wrong times and targeted. The only safeguard is to try and keep a low profile when out and about, avoid if possible getting into any disputes, better to just let things go and live another day.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the motorcycle taxi guys get to the shooter before the police do.

Despicable.

RIP and I feel so sorry for this poor kid having to witness his fathers murder.

All too likely the shooter was a motorcycle taxi guy himself, settling a grudge, protecting a corner, any number of reasons I'd guess.

All you denigrating Thailand, due to some crazy, stupid people, look at your own country, murders happen, Or do you come from a country without murders... Christians can teach, a thing, never heard anything so pathetic...............

With all due respect, what exactly is your point, Mihalis? That two wrongs somehow can make a right? Are you saying that because there are murders elsewhere, then it's okay for there to be murders here? That if there is rape elsewhere, then it's okay for there to be rape here? The point is: this is where we all live, so this is where each of us must try to influence things for the better. We don't live somewhere else; we live here. It doesn't matter what happens elsewhere--good or bad. This is our life, and in this case, we are right to be appalled and disgusted by such senseless brutality. You should be, too!

The fact is: not so long ago the homicide rate per capita right here in beloved LOS Thailand was nearly twice that of the gun-crazy USA. So yes, statistically speaking there is a big problem here. The murder rate per capita has gone down a bit since then, but it's still much higher than that of the USA, Europe and/or most of Asia.

All of us do well to abhor needless violence wherever it occurs, but most especially in our own back yards!

How many Americans are commenting on this shooting, expressing horror about violence in Thailand?

Of course it's horrific. But this sort of thing happens in the US on a regular basis.

OK, I'll bite. Just how many Americans were there that commented ?

Sadly this sort of behaviour is becoming common the world over. There are people out there that could shot or stab someone to death without hesitation, snuff others out like an insect without the slightest remorse.

The problem being is that there are those who mingle among us in society that are just simply crazies, incapable of rational thoughts like they have the spirits of mad dogs inside them waiting to get out. Being incapable of rational thinking means there can be no real deterrents placed by the law that will make these crazies consider their actions first, they just automatically react with blind rage.

The world have become a dangerous place, we never know who is going to be the next victim of being in the wrong places at the wrong times and targeted. The only safeguard is to try and keep a low profile when out and about, avoid if possible getting into any disputes, better to just let things go and live another day.

Well said. And don't forget the part that drugs play. Not just the illegal kind but also so many violent acts are now linked to pharma drugs like serotonin re-uptake inhibitors that are also linked to the huge increase in suicides in the US and probably other western countries.

What a country! Peaceful loving people.blink.png

Oh get off it! This happens in every country.

What?.... EVERY country??

At the same rate it happens here?>???

This is almost daily in LOS, most don't get reported because they are not caught on CCTV.

Thailand is proportionately a very UNSAFE place.

I was chased for 20 minutes through villages etc just for honking my horn at a pickup who almost broadsided me, my wife was panicking because she said they will have a gun or they wouldn't chase me.

In 25 years of driving in the UK I have NEVER had an altercation with anyone. Come to Thailand and in 6 months had that crap. Now i don't use my horn at all..... It can get you killed here.

Classic example of Thai road manners.

Edited by RustBucket
  • Like 1

The deceased asked his son to step away and then was shot in the face by some a-hole over what?

What the heck is the deal over here?

Some of these people kill others without even a second thought. Without even thinking about witnesses.

It is truly frightening to live in this country and not have a sidearm.

Clutch

Yeah, more guns - that'll do it. That's like saying more cars will lead to less traffic.

What makes you think more guns will lead to more crimes? In fact decent citizens able to bare arms in public have statistically shown a drop in crime. I'm for it and will carry one regardless...

Parent's must be so proud of their Thai sons, what a disgrace. I'm sure Buddha would be proud as well

And, are you proud of your comment?

Do you feel fit yourself to judge any other?

Go, look at your self in the mirror and tell us what you see.

bah.gif

• Like 2

This is not Thai bashing. This is how I feel. And it feels like Thai society is going down the drain. It's common to come across people with guns here, legally or not, and worse, these people have no qualms using it. Using it to scare is one thing, but actually pulling the trigger with nothing by the intention to kill... sheesh.

• Like 2

This is almost daily in LOS, most don't get reported because they are not caught on CCTV.

I was chased for 20 minutes through villages etc just for honking my horn at a pickup who almost broadsided me, my wife was panicking because she said they will have a gun or they wouldn't chase me.

In 25 years of driving in the UK I have NEVER had an altercation with anyone. Come to Thailand and in 6 months had that crap. Now i don't use my horn at all..... It can get you killed here.

Bad video. No way it was road rage though. Stop posting crap.

The police suspect it was"road rage" however, this shooting has all the hallmarks of an "execution". The victim asked his son to get off the bike and stay away, which indicates the victim already was aware of the gravity of the situation.

Talking from experience, in Patong, i have been walking back to get my own motorbike ar jungceylon, and many a time i have been "followed" by a motorbike taxi driver asking " where you go, where you go" after a few minutes of ignoring him, been asked... you want coke? charlie....to me, i wouldnt be surprised if the taxi driver had ripped someone off and got his payback...patong is full of scum.. stay away from wannnkers paradise

A post has been removed, altering a members name in your reply is against forum rules, please see the following rule:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

All you denigrating Thailand, due to some crazy, stupid people, look at your own country, murders happen, Or do you come from a country without murders... Christians can teach, a thing, never heard anything so pathetic...............

Are you seriously comparing the murder rate in Thailand with Western Europe (Just for information, the murder rate here in Thailand is at least 5 times higher!)? There are crazy stupid people everywhere, of course. Crime is in every country, but try to be a little realistic - no where is perfect - just some places have considerably more crime than others. Incidentally, the US has a virtually similar "intentional homicide rate" to Thailand.

For the record, I do not wish to denigrate Thais as I think they are great people, one reason why I live here most of the year.

I have read this kind of comparison before, most recently in connection with 2 murdered British people with folks suggesting that "Scotland Yard needs to get it's house in order before interfering over here - another unrealistic comparison (Of corrupt police in that case)

• Like 1

I am expecting to be banned for this comment, but I feel it needs to be said...

Why can't TV have a thread that combines all the extremely dangerous and deadly news reports events?

It would highlight to the international press the 'true' situation in this country - how many 1000's of people have to die?

Perhaps Thailand needs to be 'shocked' into ACTION from the international community - what ever that actually means...

RIP

Happens pretty much everywhere in the deveolping world and also in parts of the deveolped world. There was someone in England who stabbed a teenager to death in front of his girlfriend due to road rage. Humans gunna human

It does, youre right, but more often here, and in countries with lax gun control. More chance of dying from a gunshot wound than a punch or knife. It is also psychologically easier to use a gun as its not as close and personal as it is other forms of weapon.

In this case, it has to be said that Thailand really does need to get a grip of its firearms laws and licenses before these events get even more commonplace. The first time i ever drove when i came to live here, my wife never mentioned strange traffic laws or driving skills, she simply told me to stay chilled and dont give anyone the finger or use my horn in anger as 'many people have guns. you WILL get shot'.......

Cant get that poor kid seeing his dad gunned down. Tragic.

Its the horrible side of humanity.. USA, son beheads his own mother, yesterday... This is the world we live in, sadly.......

You are right- the golden age of world travel is over, places I loved years back are now no- go zones.

The world is becoming a vastly over crowded angry place.

On the other hand I feel more secure and safe in wonderful Jomtien than I did living in the suburbs of London.

To ClunkClarks response, so you saying that every one should have a gun, you are brainless as the shooter man.

Samuel Colt made all men equal. Are you telling us that if someone comes at you with the intention of taking your life, right then and there, that you are going to defeat him with your superior brain?

Well let's all carry a gun in our man bag. That's really going to solve problems. Why do you think USA has murder rates of 3rd world countries. Yes I know there is huge population differences but US I think in the high 4,s low 5,s.....Australia with strict gun laws something like 1.4 and surprising to me UK very low. USA is the stand out. Wonder why....umm maybe gun ownership and obsession with it. Colt and western did not make all men equal. It made one as stupid as the other. Let's go kill some bear.

Check and you will find that the US states with the highest gun ownership per capita have the lowest crime rates. Who is going to break into a house in Utah knowing the owner probably has a gun and knows how to use it. In Switzerland almost every house has a full auto assault weapon issued to them while in the mandatory military service that they take home afterward. Guess which country has the lowest crime rate in Europe?....it starts with an S. It's a tired old saying but still true..."guns don't kill people, people kill people". The problem is sick societies like Britain and the USA. Yes more people die in the states because they fight with more lethal weapons but Britain is at least as violent. One of the things I don't like about living in Thailand is I can't have my Springfield 1911 45 here to defend my home.

Nice post mate. I dont necessarily agree with you, but well done with the tact and diplomacy instead of all the idiots who come on here trying to start an international forum war !! Thanks.

• Like 1

Bad video. No way it was road rage though. Stop posting crap.

Of course it wasn't road rage was it? It was his birthday and they were giving him the bumps.

Actually he accidentally clipped a motorcyclist and that was the result. Mob violence. Not road rage at all is it???

Man you are the one who is posting crap.

• Like 1

The deceased asked his son to step away and then was shot in the face by some a-hole over what?

What the heck is the deal over here?

Some of these people kill others without even a second thought. Without even thinking about witnesses.

It is truly frightening to live in this country and not have a sidearm.

Clutch

Yeah, more guns - that'll do it. That's like saying more cars will lead to less traffic.
No, its like saying that if traffic accidents are commonplace then its nice to be sitting in a big truck when someone slams into you.

No. Educate people to behave/drive properly then nobody needs guns and/or trucks. You're dealing with the symptoms, not the cause.

educate people? in thailand? hahaha... where is the camera? what? you talking seriously? it's not a candid camera?

Phuket road rage shooter ‘will be caught soon’ – police
Nattha Thepbamrung

1414664180_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers take Mr Chaliao's body away after the shooting.

PHUKET: Police believe it will not be long before they catch the man who shot dead motorbike taxi driver Chaliao Piyapanikul at around 9:30 am today (October 30).

Phuket Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonprasit told the press this afternoon that the case was still being treated as one of road rage.

“Witnesses told us that the victim use to be a boxer and was quite hot-tempered. They said that whenever he got into an argument he would start a fight.

“We don’t think the two men had met before. Witnesses said Mr Chaliao honked his horn continuously at the shooter, which may have raised the temperature,” he explained.

“They started shouting at each other until they stopped at the red light. Mr Chaliao said he was going to ‘get’ the other man.

“Witnesses said the other man warned Mr Chaliao many times that if he got off his bike he would be shot, but apparently he did not listen. After he got off the bike, he was shot around four times before the shooter left the scene.

“I believe it will not be hard to find the gunman; Phuket police will definitely arrest him very soon,” he added.

Phuket Town Police superintendent Sermphan Sirikong told The Phuket News that police have the license plate number of bike the shooter was riding but were not sure if the plates were fake or if the rider was also the owner of the bike.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-rage-shooter-%E2%80%98will-be-caught-soon%E2%80%99-police-49409.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-30

Based on the above news article and witness statements and past history of aggression, it sounds like the victim participated in his own demise.

Still nothing to have prevented the shooter from simply turning away and leaving the scene rather than using his pistol.

But thats the thing about alot of guys here who carry the pistols. It seems like they are just itching to use them.

Face and firearms is a bad combo.

Phuket road rage shooter will be caught soon police

Nattha Thepbamrung

1414664180_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Police believe it will not be long before they catch the man who shot dead motorbike taxi driver Chaliao Piyapanikul at around 9:30 am today (October 30).

Phuket Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonprasit told the press this afternoon that the case was still being treated as one of road rage.

Witnesses told us that the victim use to be a boxer and was quite hot-tempered. They said that whenever he got into an argument he would start a fight.

We dont think the two men had met before. Witnesses said Mr Chaliao honked his horn continuously at the shooter, which may have raised the temperature, he explained.

They started shouting at each other until they stopped at the red light. Mr Chaliao said he was going to get the other man.

Witnesses said the other man warned Mr Chaliao many times that if he got off his bike he would be shot, but apparently he did not listen. After he got off the bike, he was shot around four times before the shooter left the scene.

I believe it will not be hard to find the gunman; Phuket police will definitely arrest him very soon, he added.

Phuket Town Police superintendent Sermphan Sirikong told The Phuket News that police have the license plate number of bike the shooter was riding but were not sure if the plates were fake or if the rider was also the owner of the bike.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-rage-shooter-%E2%80%98will-be-caught-soon%E2%80%99-police-49409.php

tpn.jpg

Well, if all this is true, I'm wrong about the execution theory.

Phuket road rage shooter ‘will be caught soon’ – police

Nattha Thepbamrung

1414664180_1-org.jpg

“Witnesses told us that the victim use to be a boxer and was quite hot-tempered. They said that whenever he got into an argument he would start a fight.

“We don’t think the two men had met before. Witnesses said Mr Chaliao honked his horn continuously at the shooter, which may have raised the temperature,” he explained.

“They started shouting at each other until they stopped at the red light. Mr Chaliao said he was going to ‘get’ the other man.

“Witnesses said the other man warned Mr Chaliao many times that if he got off his bike he would be shot, but apparently he did not listen. After he got off the bike, he was shot around four times before the shooter left the scene.

“I believe it will not be hard to find the gunman; Phuket police will definitely arrest him very soon,” he added.

tpn.jpg

OK Mudcrab.... 'No way was this road rage'...... Lol

Stop posting crap.

Yeah, pretty much. I have to go with the execution theory, though. Guy wasn't raging much. Prolly said: Vito sends his regards. Acting too calm for it to be a road rage thing, had on the helmet, slithered away casually. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the news to see if they catch the guy.

Funny, all the anti-Thai comments. People see something on a vid, something done by one guy, and they're off to the races with the Thai-bashing. Just so weird to me that they stay here; maybe they should try Mexico or someplace peaceful. By and large, Thais are a peaceful, tolerant lot.

Although I hear what you are saying, its not saying much when the only way to can prove how safe Thailand is is by comparing it against mexico. Why not just compare it against Syria?