National police chief warns against distorted information on Koh Tao murder

Lite Beer

Thailand always likes to assert that there is free speech in this country. Between the les majeste laws, the cyber crime law and the criminal libel laws, the truth is there is no free speech. Thai reporters are afraid to report the truth for fear of physical harm or being sued. You can go to jail if a court finds you libeled someone!!! And the standards for proving libel are quite low here and go beyond what it is in the West..

His threats show the police are desperate

While nowhere actually has free speech and many places have criminal defamation laws as well as les majeste ... there is no doubt Thailand has more limited freedom of speech than others. But the truth is the press has not been the least bit timid in reporting skepticism and criticism of this case and repeating rumor and speculation. So, lets not pretend it is North Korea. But again, there are issues and a big one in my opinion is the lack of investigative journalism which I assume is a result of the fear of repercussion such journalism can bring.

• Like 2

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So people just have to choose their words a little more carefully then, cheers for the heads up chief ;) we'll try harder not to make your outfit and a certain family feel sad now ok.

But in all seriousness these people must understand that threats are just going to make the problem worse, or not maybe facepalm.gif

So you sleuths.

We now also have a never before seen "red shirt" CCTV clip from the 14th September showing Nomsod entering his condo at 13:04. The relevant bit starts at 3.44.

Then check out the clip at 4:29, which clearly shows the table and chairs have been moved, and at 4:36 it is shown that the area has been cleared, some flowers are at the right of the door and a poster has been stuck up on the left.

Only one question.

When did this happen?

Clearly this must be lies or trickery since it shows he was not on the island at the time of the murders ... starting at 3:34

mrjohndub, on 30 Oct 2014 - 22:49, said:

I suppose the Commissioner will have to charge himself, then.

As well as a number of police and the PM. He and his goons will be busy. This shows the mentality of the national police chief, the whole world knows how badly the investigation was done. I guess he'd prefer no discussion and then have two, possibly innocent, men EXECUTED. This only goes to reinforce the notion that they are a bunch of spoilt school kids, though I say that knowing many kids, especially western, are more mature. Threats, is that any way for a National police chief to act.... in many countries he'd be looking for another job.

JohnThailandJohn, on 31 Oct 2014 - 01:53, said:JohnThailandJohn, on 31 Oct 2014 - 01:53, said:
love1012, on 31 Oct 2014 - 01:49, said:love1012, on 31 Oct 2014 - 01:49, said:
JohnThailandJohn, on 31 Oct 2014 - 01:18, said:JohnThailandJohn, on 31 Oct 2014 - 01:18, said:
Bluespunk, on 30 Oct 2014 - 23:10, said:Bluespunk, on 30 Oct 2014 - 23:10, said:

"Pol Gen Somyot, however, made clear that the DNA test on the son would have no impact on the police case file which has been finished with all circumstantial and forensic evidence submitted to the prosecutor for indictment of the two Myanmar suspects."

What? Not even if it's a match?

It cannot be a match when it has already been matched to the suspects in custody. It is an impossibility he could also match unless he is an identical twin of one of the Burmese in custody for the crimes.

It would be like looking outside for you car when you already confirmed it was in the garage. Of course this is being done to try to help the silly and ignorant claims by conspiracy theorist but to do so one needs to do stupid things like perform a test for which the answer is already answered before realizing the conspiracy nuts will never stop and just get more outlandish and silly in their theories.

Yes it can if the police didnt fabricate the burmese dna - stop being such a nonce!!! There was also a third persons dna on her nipple which you brush away. thjats another garbage made up police police police post - from a mafia apologist whos desperate to supress peoples rights and free speech!!! Your own childish gibberish will continue no doubt..police.police..police!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the police could and did fabricate the DNA in the other case then they wouldn't allow this test or would fabricate this too if it was possible. So, no the DNA from these suspects cannot match even if you believe in Santa and vast conspiracy theories taking place for not reason.

And just who will take samples from this son of a bitch, and who, in the eyes of the watching world, will supervise it, if it isn't the Pommy coppers, then who is going to believe any tests. Only and let's not forget, who will process the DNA samples. However you look at it, whether you back the RTO or not, if the sampling and testing isn't don't be an independent, non Thai, lab, then there will always be speculation... the RTP, and by association, Thailand, have, in the eyes of the world, lost all credibility.

Edited by MediaWatcher
  • Like 1

Thailand always likes to assert that there is free speech in this country. Between the les majeste laws, the cyber crime law and the criminal libel laws, the truth is there is no free speech. Thai reporters are afraid to report the truth for fear of physical harm or being sued. You can go to jail if a court finds you libeled someone!!! And the standards for proving libel are quite low here and go beyond what it is in the West..

His threats show the police are desperate

While nowhere actually has free speech and many places have criminal defamation laws as well as les majeste ... there is no doubt Thailand has more limited freedom of speech than others. But the truth is the press has not been the least bit timid in reporting skepticism and criticism of this case and repeating rumor and speculation. So, lets not pretend it is North Korea. But again, there are issues and a big one in my opinion is the lack of investigative journalism which I assume is a result of the fear of repercussion such journalism can bring.

@John - nice post and I fully agree regards your assessment of investigative journalism.

@sperm - Regardless of how you want to characterize the "police threats" let me assure you that you

don't want to find yourself on the receiving end of any case brought under the criminal defamation or cyber crime laws here.

For proof of that, look at the stories in the news recently, Andy Hall, a certain Andrew Drummer, and the couple that runs

the Phuketwan news site.

Racist posters can't hide it. The use of words like "some Thai" and "moron Thai".

it seems whatever the real outcome of this investigation it has stirred up a huge amount of anger and resentment in the expat community towards the police and other authorities .... can't see this current dictum doing much to help.

Anyway, that one idiotic comment came from some Thai that is like many of the posters here who who believe they are superior thought almost all of this comes from a low self-esteem. My guess is that the moron Thai who said this said it because he had what he thought was inside info that the crime was committed by a foreigner ... remember the blonde hair?

• Like 2

Not really sure about the facts of this case as they seem a bit fuzzy. But the national police

chief is being crystal clear in his threats against anyone posting information contrary

to the official police version. It would seem at this point that whoever the police started

out trying to protect with their crappy investigation, at this point I think they are

trying to protect the tatters of what is left of their reputation......

I believe that the fact this latest idiocy/insanity made headline news on this country's national newspaper bodes even less well (if that were possible) for this not genuinely turning into N Korea with bells and whistles on. Unless they were being ironic of course. But, there again, one would have expected an editorial/opinion piece riposte. The BP had appeared to be becoming more bold. But now it appears they have been threatened also. Very bad news. No pun intended.

Guess that means we are all going into hiding now;)

Hmmmmmm........some of you should.......................

And why's that? Do you think the RTP have jurisdiction in New York, Paris, London or Rome?

I will continue to speak freely should the need arise, not just on this matter but on any subject I want too.

Let us see you do it it you live here People like you need to banned from Thailand making fun the the police

My GF's brother in law got knocked off his bike up in the home-town and is in intensive care. The car who did it (pulling out from a junction) is trying to pay a very small amount.

We called the police who check our house locally for advice. He said they should go and promise to pay the police a bribe so they will be on the side of the victim. If the other side do it first, they won't get much money (which they really need as he cannot work now).

I can't tell you how sickened I am with this : the guy is laid with a badly broken leg which they can't touch until his lung damage heals enough to allow surgery.

All I can say is the cops deserve all the bad press they get in cases like this. It's about time something was done to sort them out.

dear John !

Fully agree with you,

my wife had even a worst case,

we dont want talk about,

otherwise we expect in short time an fatal exident with an lorry,

or maybee some gas explosion in the home -

reason- badly maintained gas bottle by home owner !!

The spin doctors are out in force, attempting to head off the backlash that will inevitably happen when the Burmese guys are found guilty.

It's all so disgusting and reprehensible. A real affront to the notion of fairness and justice.

Even if you are right, which I don't think you are, it doesn't give the chief of police the right, to tell us to shut up!!

Your post were accepted here, where most posters disagree with you!! It is called the freedom of speech!!

You didn't read the post you replied to, did you?

History will show that yesterdays public farce DNA test will be a pivotal moment in the history of Thailand.

They have stirred a hornet's nest, people are asking even more questions, delving deeper and finding out more by the minute.....

Threats only arouse suspicion whatever your nationality.

The General surely is aware this is out of control.

If we had not realised it before, this is much bigger than just protecting his friend,the headman!!

Supplying drugs to the 3 islands is a billion baht franchise, which the BIB under no circumstances will allow to be interrupted!!

Day before yesterday, our friend here bought shares on SET for 360 million baht (in his wifes name) in a company called WAT.

I read in BP 04.10.2014 that:

National police chief Somyot Pumpanmuang has 246.4 million baht in assets and his wife has 128.2 million baht in assets. With the couple's liabilities of 18.8 million baht, their net worth is 355.8 million.
His assets include a number of watches, rings and firearms as well as 12 famous Buddha amulets worth 25 million
Did he sell all his rings, watches and Buddha amulets for the SET trade?
Please can you post a link to the source?

Amazing , have just looked the above up, on settrade under WAT, his surname is spelt Poompanmoung and his 'wife' is Ms, same address, he bought 7,500,000,000

, shares and she and she 2,550,000,000. on the 28/10.

I find this quite incredible, maybe Andrew Drummond , who is on fd should be made aware, he has many press contacts in the UK.

How can this be done on a bib salary.

Just wow....

• Like 2

The solution to prove his innocence is so easy... let the UK investigators take his DNA sample and conduct their own test. If it comes back as negative then there will be no doubts. Of course they can continue attempting to save face (or as some suspect covering up a crime) in which regardless if the tests come back as negative few, if any, will believe it.

If it was my son I would insist that the British investigators did the test so as to finally lay this to rest and exonerate him. If you have nothing to hide and truly believe in his innocence then this is the only sensible course of action.

Your supposition is wrong. People would still harass him, claiming some other issues.

He did what people asked and volunteered for a test taken publicly and run in 4 different labs.