Thai's, where from?

swissie

As it were, textbooks claim that Thai's originated from southern provinces of China and basically ended up as "Immigrants" here a long time ago. The language, based by a big part of intonation, same as in southern China. (China 5 different intonations, Thailand only 4). This in itself would support this theory. To my knowledge, conclusive DNA to settle the matter still outstanding.

Next: Where did the Khmer (today's Cambodians) come from? And where did the Lao-People originally come from?

Just curious. Cheers

• Like 1

NatGeo had a Genographic program on The Human Journey based on DNA studies. For Southern Asia the results were:

These groups journeyed from Africa to Asia, settling in the region of southern China. There they were among the first people to develop rice agriculture. This event led to a population explosion, with human settlement expanding throughout the region. Some of this lineage went north into Japan, while others traveled south, eventually heading out to sea in the great Polynesian migrations.

I think some line came up from Indo /Malaly as that is also an area of very early human settlement (Java man) you can see that trait here in the south.

That natgeo program also shows another line that moved out of Africa along the coastline of Asia into Indonesia and with some eventually making up the Australian Aboriginal population. https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/human-journey/

I found the data interesting and no longer feel ashamed when someone thinks they're insulting me by calling me Neanderthal. I can now proudly state at least 2% of my genes are Neanderthal. smile.png

I'm sure otocheater the oracle of all things Thai, will drop by shortly and tell us where she/he came from.

That answer will be concise and usually finished with a smile :-) ... and I like that.

Thanks for inviting me Mr. David. Today I got headache cant fight!><

Xx

• Like 1

Its still debatable that everything started in Africa. I would love to go back and study Anthropology, but now too lazy. I think that there has not been nearly enough research on early migrations throughout Asia. I was reading the story of a chinese academic who traced the origins of Buddhism all through SE Asia , India and the MIddle East. Fascinating stuff, especially when you look at Hmong and other tribes today who still migrate extensively. For me Vietnam is a great place to observe the differences in ethnic types, but I've not travelled much into China yet.

I'm sure otocheater the oracle of all things Thai, will drop by shortly and tell us where she/he came from.

That answer will be concise and usually finished with a smile :-) ... and I like that.

Xx

Sorry to hear that.

Get well soon ... thumbsup.gif

OH ... while I have you.

Is it Pi ococheater, Khun ococheater, Miss ococheater ... something else?

Xx

Sorry to hear that.

Get well soon ... thumbsup.gif

OH ... while I have you.

Is it Pi ococheater, Khun ococheater, Miss ococheater ... something else?

Normally people called me Madam...

;-)

• Like 2

Then there's the kon pa, the dark, frizzy hair, almost negroid people in the south too. I'd hazard that they either reverse migrated from the Pacific, or were the original out-of-Africa peoples to inhabit SE Asia.

Kon pa translates as forest people, the same as the orang asli in the Malay peninsula. Similar race to the original inhabitants of New Guinea and also the Australian aboriginals I believe.

The origin of the T'ai race is a vexed question.

During the 19th century informed opinion classified them as Altaic, along with Native Americans and several other races who were thought to have originated somewhere near the Altai Mountains in Central Asia. However, linguistic and genetic studies in recent years have challenged this theory insofar as it relates to the T'ai. The matter remains unresolved.

The Shans [T'ai Yai], the Lao. and the Siamese are all descended from the same racial group, the T'ai, who made their first historical appearance in the 6th century BC. From that time onwards Chinese chronicles made frequent references to them. The Chinese referred to the T'ai as barbarians, but little meaning should be attached to this expression. They called all foreigners barbarians down to a very recent date, and doubtless the term is not even yet obsolete.

The warlike kingdom of Nanchao had a majority T'ai population and its territory included most of what is now Yunnan. Between 757 and 763 AD Nanchao conquered the valley of the upper Irrawaddy. Returning in 832 they carried their conquests downriver as far as the delta region, destroying the Pyu capital near what is now Rangoon [Yangon]. They twice invaded China and on one occasion besieged Chengdu; also raiding Tongking and Annam, then under Chinese rule.

The T'ai never ceased to be on the move, infiltrating south along the river valleys of central Indo-China. Small groups of them settled among the Khmers, the Mons, and the Burmese. T'ai mercenaries appear on the bas-reliefs of Angkor Wat. North of Raheng [Tak] at the junction of the Ping and Wang Rivers, the small independent T'ai state of Phayao came into existence as early as 1006. In the 12th century their settlements began to form small states under chieftains called chaos and sawbwas in what is today Northern Thailand, Upper Burma, and Laos.

In 1238 two T'ai chiefs attacked and defeated the Khmer commander at Sukhotai, then the capital of the northwestern part of the Angkor Empire. They established a T'ai kingdom which was to become a powerful state under King Ramkhamheng in the latter half of the century. Kublai Khan's conquest of Nanchao in 1253 caused a mass-migration of T'ai southward, adding to the population of the small states already in existence. They continued to move south until they dominated most of what is today the Kingdom of Thailand.

Edited by CMHomeboy78
  • Like 1

I'm sure otocheater the oracle of all things Thai, will drop by shortly and tell us where she/he came from

right now i guess from shopping...

Hi there.

Can you please supply the link source of where your post came from?

That is, unless you yourself are claiming authorship.

Thank you.wai2.gif

Most of it is from my topic, 'Lanna T'ai - what's in the name?' which I posted a while ago on The TVCM Forum.

My sources are diverse and too numerous to list. If there is a specific point you would like to discuss I will clarify it if I can.

I'm a graphic artist, not an historian, but I have lived most of my adult life in Chiang Mai and I have an abiding interest in the history and culture of Northern Thailand.

Hi there.

Thank you.wai2.gif

Most of it is from my topic, 'Lanna T'ai - what's in the name?' which I posted a while ago on The TVCM Forum.

My sources are diverse and too numerous to list. If there is a specific point you would like to discuss I will clarify it if I can.

I'm a graphic artist, not an historian, but I have lived most of my adult life in Chiang Mai and I have an abiding interest in the history and culture of Northern Thailand.

OK. Thanks. I read your post as a paste it job without link and now I hear you telling me you did write it, at least now I think you are saying that.

Hi there.

Thank you.wai2.gif

OK. Thanks. I read your post as a paste it job without link and now I hear you telling me you did write it, at least now I think you are saying that.

Yes, I did write it myself, but the facts are taken from the principal Thai historians - W.A.R. Wood; Camille Notton; Hans Penth; David Wyatt, and others.

If the subject is of interest to you, I could recommend the series of ebooks by Andrew Forbes, Ancient Chiang Mai. Vols. 1 - 6. [CPA Media].

Dr.Forbes is currently the dean of Chiang Mai historians, and his work is full of interesting information.

• Like 2