Another problem with Firefox

billd766

Why not use IE?

You could try Opera if you don't want to go the IE route.

I used firefox for years but it had unnecessary disk activity when the computer was idle so I ditched it.

Now use IE 11 cant find any problems with it.

Worst advice ever

sent from my slimkat 1+ using tapatalk

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, things seemed to be OK after 33.1 but alas, intermittent Plug In Container crashes again.

Seems to happen when I load a page and scroll down too quickly before its loaded all the way. Seems like a memory choke and/or plug ins handling certain content on a page. Usually unfreezes after a bit but sometimes I do a hard shut down/restart. Gotten into the habit of clearing the FF cache as well, dunno if that helps.

Still dragging my feet on Chrome. It's a trade off between the privacy issues I was reading about, and FF's quirks. I don't use PC for work or anything critical, so it's not that much of a bother and not enough to abandon ship yet.

Yeah, things seemed to be OK after 33.1 but alas, intermittent Plug In Container crashes again.

Seems to happen when I load a page and scroll down too quickly before its loaded all the way. Seems like a memory choke and/or plug ins handling certain content on a page. Usually unfreezes after a bit but sometimes I do a hard shut down/restart. Gotten into the habit of clearing the FF cache as well, dunno if that helps.

Still dragging my feet on Chrome. It's a trade off between the privacy issues I was reading about, and FF's quirks. I don't use PC for work or anything critical, so it's not that much of a bother and not enough to abandon ship yet.

I'll read news sites and if something looks interesting I'll open it in a new tab. I'll keep reading news 'portal' page, possibly opening more tabs until I get to the bottom, then go on to the tabs I opened. Been using browsers this way since the 1990s (though in the begiining I was opening new windows, no tabs back then).

Well, sometime in the past year FF started going sideways when I did this, most of the time it has to do with Flash. Yeah, plug-in container stalls, but also some sites overdo it with flash, like one page will have multiple flash adverts. I've come across two add-ins that really help. One is Flask Killer -- click the button on the status bar and all flv's are zapped. The other is called Quickjava, which lets you turn off Flash, JS, etc. I usually keep Flash and Java turned off. These keep FF usable.

Yahoo sites really suck in this respect, especially Yahoo Finance and their main site. I read the other day that FF and Yahoo were coming up with some sort of partnership, maybe someone will notice the mess it causes.

I was trying to uninstall a program last night but it wouldn't clear so I did a system restore.

After about an hour when it STILL had not restored I powered the computer down and couldn't get it back up at all so at last night I started the grim task of reloading Window 7 as a new install as the Win 7 restore wouldn't work either. I managed to get it up and running last night and today I will re-assemble it as it was before but hopefully this time the system restore will work.

The last time I did this was 3 years ago and fortunately I have my sons PC i can use as a reference.

Perhaps my Firefox problem was not Firefox but Win 7.

What a PITA

I'll read news sites and if something looks interesting I'll open it in a new tab. I'll keep reading news 'portal' page, possibly opening more tabs until I get to the bottom, then go on to the tabs I opened. Been using browsers this way since the 1990s (though in the begiining I was opening new windows, no tabs back then).

Well, sometime in the past year FF started going sideways when I did this, most of the time it has to do with Flash. Yeah, plug-in container stalls, but also some sites overdo it with flash, like one page will have multiple flash adverts. I've come across two add-ins that really help. One is Flask Killer -- click the button on the status bar and all flv's are zapped. The other is called Quickjava, which lets you turn off Flash, JS, etc. I usually keep Flash and Java turned off. These keep FF usable.

Yahoo sites really suck in this respect, especially Yahoo Finance and their main site. I read the other day that FF and Yahoo were coming up with some sort of partnership, maybe someone will notice the mess it causes.

Good post, thanks. I'll check out those add ons.

My Firefox crashes about 10 times everyday, and I'm on the latest version, i however have such an idea that it has something to do with googleads and Ajax.

I'm using that plugin mentioned above "QuickJava" and have noticed increased stability when loading busy pages.

It took me the best part of 9 hours yesterday to get the b*****d up and running. An hour to fire it up, 3 hours to back up all my files, 3 more hours to find a driver for the ethernet card (HP don't do one for a 64 bit computer so I loaded a 32 bit one instead). the rest of the time was loading antivirus programs and other stuff all of which needed upgrades and reboots.

I have lost my Skype connection as I cannot remember the email address or password.

I still have to load another 10 to 15 programs and I have been downloading 175 Windows updates since 11 am this morning.

A lot of my passwords have been lost also. What a BPITA.

The last time was 3 years ago when I went through something like this.

As I said earlier, my firefox crashes at least 10 times a day, and then I'm underestimating.

Also, however I have Java console disabled in my browser, i get frequent notifications that a java update is available.

Each time I download the update, it downloads the whole file, then gives me a pop up message that downloaded file is corrupted.

Another thing I notice since the last 2 or 3 Firefox updates is that when I click on browser history it has saved only maybe about 30% of all the browsing that has happened that day.

After a while the file 'prefs.js' can fill up with useless crap (especially if you have uninstalled some add-ins) and things can go weird. Only way to clean it up is a fresh install, including the settings for each of your add-ins. It's a nuisance.

Oops, above I said Flask Killer, I meant Flash Killer.

As I said earlier, my firefox crashes at least 10 times a day, and then I'm underestimating.

Also, however I have Java console disabled in my browser, i get frequent notifications that a java update is available.

Each time I download the update, it downloads the whole file, then gives me a pop up message that downloaded file is corrupted.

Another thing I notice since the last 2 or 3 Firefox updates is that when I click on browser history it has saved only maybe about 30% of all the browsing that has happened that day.

Try disabling all the add-ons to see if it cures the crashing problem.

If that works, re-enable then one at a time to find the culprit.

• Like 1

After a while the file 'prefs.js' can fill up with useless crap (especially if you have uninstalled some add-ins) and things can go weird. Only way to clean it up is a fresh install, including the settings for each of your add-ins. It's a nuisance.

Interesting, thanks.

I initially put the the QuickJava extension in play, then decided to remove it shortly thereafter because I couldn't get my Yahoo email to revert back to the "new" version with all the font and emoticons enabled, et al. It is the HTML version of Yahoo email, so everything is blocky v1.0 looking.

I did a FF U/S and deleted what residuals I could find in program files that might save my bookmarks, settings, ext, prefs, and did a clean install.

Still, my Yahoo email is showing the HTML version. I've clicked on "go to new version of Yahoo email" which cycles the page but still, no change.

I reloaded QuickJava since then because I do like the way I can turn on/off certain Java features but still, even if I disable QuickJava in the FF extensions window, I still can't get Yahoo email to display the full version like it used to.

I've checked the Java console via Control Panel but not sure what I'm looking for.

Any advice appreciated.

Interesting, thanks.

I initially put the the QuickJava extension in play, then decided to remove it shortly thereafter because I couldn't get my Yahoo email to revert back to the "new" version with all the font and emoticons enabled, et al. It is the HTML version of Yahoo email, so everything is blocky v1.0 looking.

I did a FF U/S and deleted what residuals I could find in program files that might save my bookmarks, settings, ext, prefs, and did a clean install.

Still, my Yahoo email is showing the HTML version. I've clicked on "go to new version of Yahoo email" which cycles the page but still, no change.

I reloaded QuickJava since then because I do like the way I can turn on/off certain Java features but still, even if I disable QuickJava in the FF extensions window, I still can't get Yahoo email to display the full version like it used to.

I've checked the Java console via Control Panel but not sure what I'm looking for.

Any advice appreciated.

yes, all very frustrating!

Why has no one suggest that after the OP has completed his clean install of Windows 7 that he makes a Ghost copy to a backup external disk.

Then add the trusted applications and create a second Ghost image.

Now you can add the possibly dodgy apps and start working.

If the dodgy apps get totally screwed up, reinstall the clean win 7 with trusted apps and add new dodgy apps.

The time to create Ghost images is short, as is the time to reinstall an image.

However, you need to have a lot of discipline, keep only the operating system on C: and all data on another drive (or partition).

It's a bit like system restore in a way but much faster.

The down side is data loss if you don't watch what you are doing.

Note at images must be done for each computer because each computer is likely to have different hardware, chip sets, drivers etc.

Even on a lap top, I have always shrunk the C: partition and created a D: drive for data.

On top of this there is VMware, where you install a virtual machine running whatever operating system you like with whatever applications you like. You can use a VM to test possibly dodgy software and if is infected, just delete the fm and reinstall a saved clean copy.

I once had some software on trial that allowed only 10 searches in its database, after that it's pay per search.

Installed it in a VM and saved a copy. Run the VM, do 10 searches, close the VM, open the saved VM and got 10 searches again..... Fun stuff LOL

Needs lots of HDD space but no problem with desk tops RO lap tops with external HDDs.

• Like 2

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Why has no one suggest that after the OP has completed his clean install of Windows 7 that he makes a Ghost copy to a backup external disk.

If the dodgy apps get totally screwed up, reinstall the clean win 7 with trusted apps and add new dodgy apps.

However, you need to have a lot of discipline, keep only the operating system on C: and all data on another drive (or partition).

Note at images must be done for each computer because each computer is likely to have different hardware, chip sets, drivers etc.

Even on a lap top, I have always shrunk the C: partition and created a D: drive for data.

On top of this there is VMware, where you install a virtual machine running whatever operating system you like with whatever applications you like. You can use a VM to test possibly dodgy software and if is infected, just delete the fm and reinstall a saved clean copy.

I once had some software on trial that allowed only 10 searches in its database, after that it's pay per search.

Installed it in a VM and saved a copy. Run the VM, do 10 searches, close the VM, open the saved VM and got 10 searches again..... Fun stuff LOL

Needs lots of HDD space but no problem with desk tops RO lap tops with external HDDs.

That's a sweet post but not sure if that help this dumbazz get his old Yahoo email back. LOL. Cheers, J.

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for the information and I think I can understand a lot of it.

Q1 Is a ghost image the same as Back up and restore or system image? I do have an external hard drive which is big enough but I am not yet finished rebuilding my PC.

Q2 I have been using Avast antivirus for a long time and this time around I am using AVG. The problem with AVG is that it keeps putting up windows saying things like buy now, you only have 25 days left. I get it to do a maintenance check and it comes up with more than 100 problems (in 3 days?) and if only I buy this wonderful software my life will be forever happy.

Q3 Is there anything free that is better than Avast or AVG? At my age (70) I sometimes wonder that if I buy something that is valid for a year I may not see it out.

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

Nice post. I was thinking of trying out Vmware for the purposes of trying out new software.

What kind of speed does a virtual install of say Win XP run at, compared to a real Windows XP installation? Does it run at the same speed or at a crawl, making prolonged use of a virtual installation impractical? I ask because I once tried an emulator for Android called Bluestacks, but it ran so slowly that it was effectively impractical to use.

Edited by katana

I still can't get Yahoo email to display the full version like it used to.

Are you certain there isn't some sort of preference in your yahoo mail settings that is set to the html version?

There is, I've selected full version, save, page cycles, but still HTML.

The QuickJava extension works as advertised with all other sites I use frequently, just Yahoo Email got stuck in HTML mode and doesn't want to go back. Weird.

I still can't get Yahoo email to display the full version like it used to.

Are you certain there isn't some sort of preference in your yahoo mail settings that is set to the html version?

There is, I've selected full version, save, page cycles, but still HTML.

The QuickJava extension works as advertised with all other sites I use frequently, just Yahoo Email got stuck in HTML mode and doesn't want to go back. Weird.

I got it.

Change the Yahoo settings to Full and delete Yahoo cookies in FF. Reopen FF, log back in to Yahoo and wala, email was back to full version.

Now I can reactivate QuickJava in FF and see which toggle is killing the Yahoo format.

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

Nice post. I was thinking of trying out Vmware for the purposes of trying out new software.

What kind of speed does a virtual install of say Win XP run at, compared to a real Windows XP installation? Does it run at the same speed or at a crawl, making prolonged use of a virtual installation impractical? I ask because I once tried an emulator for Android called Bluestacks, but it ran so slowly that it was effectively impractical to use.

For me it runs like sh1t off a shovel.

My desktop is a quad core with 4gb ram, I have a laptop with about the same spec and a Sony VAIO i7 8gb ram.

I only ever used VM with the desktop, it has more than 6tb HDD space plus loads more as externals.

Though I must admit I've not been using it for the last few years - ya see I met this wonderful Thai lady and I've found other things to do..... Like travel LOL

We spend half our lives in Europe and the other half in Thailand.

It's a hard life but someone gotta do it and a good job it's us!

Torrents, can't believe I posted that!

Google - who said that?

Enjoy.

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for the information and I think I can understand a lot of it.

Q1 Is a ghost image the same as Back up and restore or system image? I do have an external hard drive which is big enough but I am not yet finished rebuilding my PC.

Q2 I have been using Avast antivirus for a long time and this time around I am using AVG. The problem with AVG is that it keeps putting up windows saying things like buy now, you only have 25 days left. I get it to do a maintenance check and it comes up with more than 100 problems (in 3 days?) and if only I buy this wonderful software my life will be forever happy.

Q3 Is there anything free that is better than Avast or AVG? At my age (70) I sometimes wonder that if I buy something that is valid for a year I may not see it out.

For questions like this we usually need to pop over and visit a while and sort stuff out and teach you to become familiar with it LOL

Q1. A ghost image is something that compresses the HDD into as small a space as it can. It is nothing like backup.

When you install from a Ghost it puts everything back into your HDD exactly as it was before. Your HDD may well have lots of space used but the Ghost is usually much smaller.

q2 try COMODO Internet security, been fantastic for me. Google is your friend!

q4 70?, just a boy LOL I'm near 73!

Spend little

Google a lot

Learn how to use torrents!

Perhaps next time we visit our Thai friends in KP, we call in LOL

Edit

BTW, we are sharing the same time zone for the next half year!

Edited by laislica

Thanks for that info.

When my system crashed the antivirus program I was using was Avast that I have been using for a long time.

I went online looking and AVG was suggested as very good. I loaded AVG 2015 on a 30 day trial but my desktop was very slow so last night I uninstalled it from everything I could find and tried Panda. Even before I loaded Panda the computer was running much faster and (touch wood) no Firefox crashes.

The Panda scan has been running for about an hour and 55% through its checks. It has only found one problem when Avast or AVG would have found dozens or more which makes me wonder if a lot of the ones they would have found they might have brought with them.

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

My desktop is a quad core with 4gb ram, I have a laptop with about the same spec and a Sony VAIO i7 8gb ram.

I only ever used VM with the desktop, it has more than 6tb HDD space plus loads more as externals.

Though I must admit I've not been using it for the last few years - ya see I met this wonderful Thai lady and I've found other things to do..... Like travel LOL

Google - who said that?

Enjoy.

Thanks.

Which is better to use, Vmware Workstation or VMware Player?

As far as I understand it, VMware Player is the only free one...

Interesting, thanks.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

Google - who said that?

Enjoy.

Thanks.

Which is better to use, Vmware Workstation or VMware Player?

As far as I understand it, VMware Player is the only free one...

As Google is your friend, make friends with Torrents.

I use Vuze as a torrent client.

I use google to find the torrent I need.

Note that some software needs a crack so it will run, this may involve a small program that alters some files in the program to be cracked.

The behaviour of programs that make such changes are often seen by antivirus systems as a virus and will scream deadly warnings that will scare the sh1t out of you.

If you have a VM installed, copy the program with crack to an external HDD, then run the VM and coup the stuff to the VMs HDD.

Now install and test it for any malware. If all good, install it properly in your main OS.

You see, a VM cannot see other HDDs on your system, it can see only the space you set up for it.

Therefore if you run something with a really bad virus you can delete the VM and reload a saved clean copy.

Only malware that infects the boot sectors of the main OS could be a problem but an antivirus like Comodo will clean that for you.

I used to use AVG and it liked to take most of the resources of the computer, don't know if it still does cos I've been a Comodo fan for many years now.

If you have cracked S/W that you never want to connect to a website, it is very easy to block that action in the Comodo firewall.

If you have a wifi printer and have connection problems, then check the firewall to see if it blocks fragmented data grams, if it does, uncheck the tick box and allow them, prob solved.

Enjoy.

Wow Laislica, for an older, travelling wino, you certainly know your IT stuff........good on you mate!!

Xylophone

One has to keep the ole brain cells working.

My missus said hat her brain battery was finished LOL

Not true of course, but she doesn't need to use it cos as you know - Farang knows everything LOL

• Like 1

Holy Crap! This is not FF specific, but have you ever set FF to only accept cookies you visit and before any 3rd party cookie can be added, you have to approve? Try it, it's great fun and educational.

I did it today and it's a very interesting to see from a clean slate, where all your cookies come from.

Gmail and Google in general seem to be the biggest cookie machines Upwards of 20 just to get to my gmail and then it didn't like that I was approving each cookie step by step and just shut me down completely. I had to shut down FF, reset cookies to the most liberal setting, then go again from step 1.

It's not evil but it is interesting.

• Like 1

Holy Crap! This is not FF specific, but have you ever set FF to only accept cookies you visit and before any 3rd party cookie can be added, you have to approve? Try it, it's great fun and educational.

I did it today and it's a very interesting to see from a clean slate, where all your cookies come from.

Gmail and Google in general seem to be the biggest cookie machines Upwards of 20 just to get to my gmail and then it didn't like that I was approving each cookie step by step and just shut me down completely. I had to shut down FF, reset cookies to the most liberal setting, then go again from step 1.

It's not evil but it is interesting.

I use an "AutoHotkey" Macro to delete my Google, Youtube, Yahoo and Facebook cookies from Firefox:

GoogleYoutubeYahooFBCookieKillerV2.txt