Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

It was safe to walk the streets, even alone at night, in Thailand, and that was one of the reasons for tourists to come here...

When was this crime-free era?

That's boilerplate travel advisory stuff. You talked about reading the records for the past 10 years and noticing a trend. Where did you get that? Can you supply a link?

The previously mentioned OSAC reports, combined with different annual crime statistics (booying around SEA-area, so been comparing stats and "relative" safety a lot recently- including crime rates per pax etc). You can do that much 'legwork' by yourself - since you apparently have the internet connection where data is virtually limitless.

One thing I'm satisfied with, is the homicide rates going systematically on downwards trend - would be nice to see petty crimes, assaults, rapes etc - or the ones that actually get prosecuted - to reflect the same decline. And of course after that you then have the crimes, the ones not either reported, hushed about, or neglected, which are not visible in any statistics.

Homicide rates on downwards trend, suicides and accidental deaths up, up, up, it's all about statistics indeed, the RTP got the message... From TAT?

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

agree with you. i also feel safer when in thailand compared to other countries. maybe safety is unique for certain people only?

agree with you. i also feel safer when in thailand compared to other countries. maybe safety is unique for certain people only?

I feel safer here than I did back in London. Not that I felt particularly unsafe there, but there seems less threat of petty crime or random drunken violence here.

People are commenting probably because this is a forum about Thailand. Stroll on!

And careful of that illusion that all appears safe here... newbies often tend to make that mistake and get complacent. If visitors would read the Thai tabloids, they probably wouldn't go out again.

I get that it's a forum about Thailand, I have lived here a while that's why I read and comment.

My point was people seem to making out likes it's a epidemic and a crime wave is going on, and another excuse for posters to lay crap on Thailand.

So its Thai bashing, or as you say "lay crap on Thailand". If your skin is soo thin just avoid the negative topics

Has anyone made hysterical predictions yet about tourist numbers plummeting when the news gets out and the whole country subsequently becoming bankrupt?

Chinese proverb: losing customers is like losing hair, first you don't notice, then you think it's just a few and it will stop by itself, and by the time you notice the first bald spots it is too late, there is a sad difference though, when you have lost lots of your hair you can wear a wig, but this does not work to replace your lost customers... wai2.gif You should transmit this to TAT wai.gif

That's boilerplate travel advisory stuff. You talked about reading the records for the past 10 years and noticing a trend. Where did you get that? Can you supply a link?

The previously mentioned OSAC reports, combined with different annual crime statistics (booying around SEA-area, so been comparing stats and "relative" safety a lot recently- including crime rates per pax etc). You can do that much 'legwork' by yourself - since you apparently have the internet connection where data is virtually limitless.

One thing I'm satisfied with, is the homicide rates going systematically on downwards trend - would be nice to see petty crimes, assaults, rapes etc - or the ones that actually get prosecuted - to reflect the same decline. And of course after that you then have the crimes, the ones not either reported, hushed about, or neglected, which are not visible in any statistics.

Homicide rates on downwards trend, suicides and accidental deaths up, up, up, it's all about statistics indeed, the RTP got the message... From TAT?

I think the global reports I read about were gathered from the national police officialdom, thus with Thailand, the data was gathered from RTP records by the United Nations - a worthy note that last years data is missing.

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

I'd suggest the reaction comes when the crimes become more and more noticeable. If you care to read my previous post, it explains (at least) one point.

As to when - reading OSAP-records for past 10 years you'll see a trend. Still noting that BKK is one of the safest SEA-area capitals, but crime on increase.

OSAP.why do people post so many acronyms presuming everyone knows <deleted> they mean ???

Ask the moderation team, I had posted an opinion with X U G (but one down in the alphabet each) and it was published with <deleted> instead...

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

I'd suggest the reaction comes when the crimes become more and more noticeable. If you care to read my previous post, it explains (at least) one point.

As to when - reading OSAP-records for past 10 years you'll see a trend. Still noting that BKK is one of the safest SEA-area capitals, but crime on increase.

OSAP.why do people post so many acronyms presuming everyone knows <deleted> they mean ???

Ask the moderation team, I had posted an opinion with X U G (but one down in the alphabet each) and it was published with <deleted> instead...

Y V H?

• Like 1

Thailand needs to let people know it is a dangerous place and not drop your guard. This Land of Smiles is a lie !

Don't tell Thais, they wouldn't believe you, or worse: this has not been 'invented' by Thais, they only 'took it over' straight from the title of an 'operette', or 'light opera' called 'The land of smiles', written by Franz Lehar ('Das Land des Lächelns', created in Vienna in 1929), and it didn't even have anything to do with Thailand, but all about the perceived habit of Chinese people to always smile even when confronted to adverse situations, not Thai at all either...

• Like 1

In case some of you posters have not noticed this is called Thai Visa so of course people are going to make comments about things that are occuring in Thailand. Duh.

That is correct.Why anybody compares countries??This is thai bussines and problems...not anyother country.

Y V H?

biggrin.pngDown in the alphabet's order, not up! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

These types of incidents are on the rise - it is not a good thing - and nonetheless I think BKK to be one of the safest capitals of SEA, just these assaults etc now seem to happen way too periodically, to be just ignored.

Well, the survey last week about the level of safety perceived by women would tend to challenge that. Since the clients perception is the sellers reality, incidents like this don't help at all.

For single women, you would hope that downtown central bangkok would be pretty safe. Patently not.

With the full moon almost upon us it's fair to assume that at least one victim will be flagged-up somewhere in the Samui archipelago country in the next 7 days.

Please say 'Surrathani province' when you need to locate it and can't write Koh Pha Ngan, as many people on Koh Samui would like very much to get rid of all the full moon trash of its neighbouring island (mind you, not even the same locals' mafias, except the brown one).

Police say Surasak Wanprapao, 19, hit the French woman in the head with a brick stone on Samsen Road before dragging her into a nearby alley

Screen capture of CCTV video showing Surasak sneaking up from behind the woman after she walked past him and then smashing her in the back of the head with a brick.

post-225443-0-09373700-1415120071_thumb.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Police say they arrested Surasak and Chuen Wamakhan, an accomplice who was allegedly serving as a lookout

Screen capture of news video showing the arrestees Chuen Wamakhan and Surasak Wanprapao (wearing flak jackets).

post-225443-0-69195100-1415120038_thumb.

Channel 7 News Video available here:

http://news.ch7.com/

Edited by Zabba

I think the global reports I read about were gathered from the national police officialdom, thus with Thailand, the data was gathered from RTP records by the United Nations - a worthy note that last years data is missing.

Maybe it takes the RTP some time to further adjust the figures in the statistics to the level of political correct expectations...?

i was in Khao San Road a week ago and spoke to an English lad who was mugged the night before at the Burger King end, he lives in Cambodia and has been to Bangkok many times and has never had anything like this happen to him here

he said the attack took place at around 5am, he was on the floor getting attacked by 3-4 men and was saved by a local Thai women who intervened, his attacker got away with his wallet. he was covered in cuts and bruises. he said if it wasn't for the Thai girl he would've been in serious trouble

by the sounds of it these people are preying on vulnerable people (girls or drunk men) in the area in the early hours

please stay safe people

Edited by hoyism
  • Like 2

Police say Surasak Wanprapao, 19, hit the French woman in the head with a brick stone on Samsen Road before dragging her into a nearby alley

Screen capture of CCTV video showing Surasak sneaking up from behind the woman after she walked past him and then smashing her in the back of the head with a brick.

pic2.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

Police say they arrested Surasak and Chuen Wamakhan, an accomplice who was allegedly serving as a lookout

Screen capture of news video showing the arrestees Chuen Wamakhan and Surasak Wanprapao (wearing flak jackets).

pic1.png

Channel 7 News Video available here:

http://news.ch7.com/

Having a lookout. This is not opportunistic. This is planned and very serious.

Or maybe there just happened to be two of them walking along when the opportunity arose. How much planning is involved in saying 'Look out for me while I do this?'

• Like 1

I kind of doubt that Khaosan Road was ever targeted as a Quality Tourist destination.

And great respect for the second farang lady in as many days to physically repel a violent sexual predator.

Are you implying one should get hit in the head and attempted rape should one not be in a 'Quality Tourist' area then?rolleyes.gif

You apparently lack even the most basic ability to formulate thought if you think I suggested anything of the sort.

Seriously, how do you possibly read that into what I wrote--I even attempted to use small words so even a child could understand.

Drug use on the rise.

This is the product of that. Senseless crimes wicked in nature which only human numbed on drugs could do.

actually you are 100% correct

I have stated on TV many times about the serious drug problem that is now and has been out of control for a long time

The problem is a difficult one to solve in Thailand

1. Because of the obvious addiction and the cost to feed the habit (crime)

2. Because the money pot is huge for those that are involved in distribution

3. Because those that should be fighting crime and stopping the distribution are ...........................

which equals the complete disaster that is unfolding in this country

money and greed has no boundaries here - those that can do something about it are on the payroll

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Drug use on the rise.
This is the product of that. Senseless crimes wicked in nature which only human numbed on drugs could do.

You could be right , this type of crime is totally out of control in OZ cities.one punch. knifings, shootings, road rage , assaults, murders, the list goes on, Thailand is not immune to world trends..

Or maybe there just happened to be two of them walking along when the opportunity arose. How much planning is involved in saying 'Look out for me while I do this?'

OK, I get your argument that muggings happen everywhere, I'm not sure they are all as savage as ones like this one appear to be, but I do see the point you are making.

However 2 guys just happen to be walking along an area where easy tourist targets may be found at 2.30 am and on the spur of the moment decide to mug and attempt to rape her, nah, not buying that, they were out hunting...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1