Last push to save Yingluck from legal action

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"In a last ditch move to block the impeachment of Yingluck Shinawatra, Pheu Thai Party will today present what it believes to be the strongest legal points to convince the National Legislative Assembly that it is not conforming to tradition when it comes to impeachment."

If she's innocent why worry?

Or is the tradition they are really referring to the one where no one is liable for their criminality?

Are you serious. It doesn't matter if she is innocent their goal is to crucify her because of her brother.

Poor Ms. Yingluck. Her 'Thaksin thinks' Pheu Thai party seems to want to deprive her of the opportunity to stand in court to clear her name.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to convince the National Legislative Assembly that it is not conforming to tradition when it comes to impeachment.

...because when it comes to impeachment, tradition is so much more important than conforming to law.

If the NACC and the NLA actually conformed to the Law this impeachment bid would not exist, but I suppose that is just being picky.......................coffee1.gif

You're right, absolutely right. In being picky that is. Even Pheu Thai only complains that the NLA doesn't follow tradition.

• Like 1

Why has Thailand never attempted to arrest this "fugitive" through Interpol and other means. In reality he is not a fugitive, but an exiled man.

If he is not a fugitive but an exiled man can I ask you who exiled him?

Also if he is not a fugitive then why doesn't he come back to Thailand?

Oh, the Amnesty Bill that was rejected by the Senate as part of the checks and balances of the constitution? That one?

Or amnesties that have actually been implemented like Section 309 of the 2007 Constitution and Section 48 of the 2014 Interim constitution where no military coup leader has ever been accountable for overthrowing the democratic regime of government in Thailand?

I'm sorry, what was your point again..............................coffee1.gif

My point as you very well know is that no amnesty for a criminal activity and misuse of political office for personal gain is acceptable.

Also remind me again, did the senate finally reject the amnesty bill before or after the protests against it began...deary me, this memory of mine..................

What have the protests against the Amnesty Bill (organised and sponsored by the Democrat Party) have to do with the Senate rejecting the Amnesty bill. Oh, wait a minute, the crowds influenced them - don't make me laugh, they were there to be manipulated later for their real purpose which we are now experiencing. The Amnesty Bill in it's final form was an ill thought out piece of legislation but there was no way it was going to pass through the Senate - from the horses mouth;

Appointed senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said the voting patterns of appointed senators show that 60 of the 73 appointed senators are in the anti-government camp.

The remaining 13 are believed to be aligned with the government, Mr Somchai said.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/121241/the-reason-why-the-thai-establishment-likes-appointed-senators/

Presumably Somchai didn't include himself in that number. The 76 other Senators are elected from each of Thailand's Provinces. Just how many of those do you think are not anti - government (Shianwatra led government, that is)?

Oh, the Amnesty Bill that was rejected by the Senate as part of the checks and balances of the constitution? That one?

Or amnesties that have actually been implemented like Section 309 of the 2007 Constitution and Section 48 of the 2014 Interim constitution where no military coup leader has ever been accountable for overthrowing the democratic regime of government in Thailand?

My point as you very well know is that no amnesty for a criminal activity and misuse of political office for personal gain is acceptable.

Also remind me again, did the senate finally reject the amnesty bill before or after the protests against it began...deary me, this memory of mine..................

What have the protests against the Amnesty Bill (organised and sponsored by the Democrat Party) have to do with the Senate rejecting the Amnesty bill. Oh, wait a minute, the crowds influenced them - don't make me laugh, they were there to be manipulated later for their real purpose which we are now experiencing. The Amnesty Bill in it's final form was an ill thought out piece of legislation but there was no way it was going to pass through the Senate - from the horses mouth;

Appointed senator Somchai Sawaengkarn said the voting patterns of appointed senators show that 60 of the 73 appointed senators are in the anti-government camp.

The remaining 13 are believed to be aligned with the government, Mr Somchai said.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/121241/the-reason-why-the-thai-establishment-likes-appointed-senators/

Presumably Somchai didn't include himself in that number. The 76 other Senators are elected from each of Thailand's Provinces. Just how many of those do you think are not anti - government (Shianwatra led government, that is)?

So, last push from some distracting.

Ms. Yingluck may never get the chance to clear her name. Pity really and an injustice in itself!

BTW you guys should try to make your story more consistent. Some said Ms. Yingluck more-or-less asked the senate to reject the 'blanket amnesty bill'

"In a last ditch move to block the impeachment of Yingluck Shinawatra, Pheu Thai Party will today present what it believes to be the strongest legal points to convince the National Legislative Assembly that it is not conforming to tradition when it comes to impeachment."

Or is the tradition they are really referring to the one where no one is liable for their criminality?

What about Suthep? Is he going to get away with all the trouble and interference with peoples livelihood, and damaging Thailands tourist industry he caused?

Have you been hiding under a rock ???? This subject has already been flogged to death and has nothing to do withe the topic.

What about Suthep? Is he going to get away with all the trouble and interference with peoples livelihood, and damaging Thailands tourist industry he caused?

Have you been hiding under a rock ???? This subject has already been flogged to death and has nothing to do withe the topic.

You must have been hiding under a rock about a year ago when Suthep was doing his damage, also, just about every thread on Thaivisa has posters that may go slightly off topic, so get over it.

Here we disagree.

I believe that if the legal and democratic [note lower case d] protests had not started, {supported by the Dems, yes, but organised by those disgusted at the actions of PT and their belief they were above the law}, then the senate would have passed it.

Edited by Bluespunk

Especially at this time questions of individual guilt and innocence are of little import-- what matters is that those tasked with dealing with these cases do so in such a way as to harmonize with the national agenda.

(That is not new-- again- look at the fundamental ways that Chinese regard the role of courts - not to preserve the rights of the individual but rather, the harmony of the nation- Confucus 101)

And perhaps this also answers your second question.

The decision will not be based on legality- but the higher principle- of-- happiness for all.

Especially at this time questions of individual guilt and innocence are of little import-- what matters is that those tasked with dealing with these cases do so in such a way as to harmonize with the national agenda.

(That is not new-- again- look at the fundamental ways that Chinese regard the role of courts - not to preserve the rights of the individual but rather, the harmony of the nation- Confucus 101)

The decision will not be based on legality- but the higher principle- of-- happiness for all.

PT are, as they always have done, acting as if the law is something for them to use or ignore at will.

They are not alone in doing this and there will never be democratic progress and social justice progress until all are liable for the actions.

Ultimately, won't that be the most harmonious solution.

Certainly would make me sleep easier.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

The NLA is also scheduled to proceed with the impeachment charges against Yingluck next Wednesday.

Offer her a deal, if her brother will return to face charges, she walks, free and clear. I imagine Thaksins reply to be something along the line of; Sorry sis, but my ego will not allow me to face a trial, bon voyage!

• Like 1

In an adhocracy such as this- we have to wait and pay attention to the prevailing winds. All decsions from here on in will be responses to the moment's breeze.

Remember- the goal is happiness to the people. Not justice for the person.

Too many of us are interpreting these issues as legal issues-- they aren't. Legality as we understand it, is just a silly but perhaps needed, dance performed to maintain the illusion that the 'system' is legit-- which begs the question- if law does not offer legitimacy- then what does?

• Like 2

Why has Thailand never attempted to arrest this "fugitive" through Interpol and other means. In reality he is not a fugitive, but an exiled man.

What nonsense. Absolutely delusional. "In reality", of course he's a fugitive. He was convicted of a crime and fled the country. NOT sent from it; NOT forced from it; FLED from it; on his own initiative. No one exiled him. The government would be thrilled to have him return. There's a jail cell - and I believe additional charges - waiting for him. I doubt Interpol would be willing to get involved, and not sure what "other means" you're referring to. Thai law enforcement obviously has no jurisdiction outside their own borders.

Having said that, I'm sure there are some - and I can understand the sentiment - who're just happy to have him out of sight and out of mind, as he's pretty much congenitally part of the problem (the main problem, actually) rather than part of any solution (except those involving his own private balance sheet).

I'm not even sure "exile" (as in, exile outside the country) is an internationally accepted sanction anymore. Wouldn't that effectively render a person stateless? Exile can also mean banishment or virtual confinement I guess to some remote location still within the national territory - 'wonder if Thailand has a deserted island somewhere they could banish him to. Nah. That wouldn't last 10 min.

• Like 1

He is indeed a fugitive from the law and a coward as well for he ran from a conviction and sentence that he could have stayed and appealed.

Why did he run ? He knew very well he was guilty and couldn't stand the loss of face.

Now there are several more criminal cases waiting to be heard against him so without the amnesty he was denied by the people, the only way he will ever get back to this country is in a box.

I think you will find the when The Dems were in power they did try to get him arrested, they also cancelled his Thai passport.

Guess who gave it back and made him the defacto PM when they got into power ?

I see nowhere that the lawyers have ever made any claim that Yingluck is innocent, all their attempts at defense appear to be contesting whether the law has a right to bring her to justice.

I am sure that they and she know as well as the rest of us (excepting a few) that she was negligent in the job she took on herself as chair of the rice policy committee.

Just because a law (constitution) has been changed does not mean that a crime committed under the old law should not be prosecuted, if she is allowed to escape on these grounds what sort of a precedent does it set for all others who committed crime under the old constitution (law) ?

Just because a law (constitution) has been changed does not mean that a crime committed under the old law should not be prosecuted, if she is allowed to escape on these grounds what sort of a precedent does it set for all others who committed crime under the old constitution (law) ?

So does this apply to the current regime, who found it necessary to grant themselves an amnesty for violations under the old law? It seems that the precedent has already been set. Or is this different because you happen to support this side and different ethics apply?

Nobody is

PT are, as they always have done, acting as if the law is something for them to use or ignore at will.

They are not alone in doing this and there will never be democratic progress and social justice progress until all are liable for the actions.

Ultimately, won't that be the most harmonious solution.

Certainly would make me sleep easier.

nobody is sleeping well BP.

Read the last editorial by Thullsatit-- minds are burning out.

we are expecting some kind of rules-- some kind of law-- and in fact all depends on the psychology of one man at this moment.;

And he has to be torn- he has made promises that haven't been made in decades- anywhere. He knows that his acceptance is dependent upon his making those promises good- and he is learning that a nation is not the same as a camp full of raw recruits--

He can hear the wolves-- and at night- he doesn't sleep either-- Perhaps he is thinking-- Montenegro should be nice at this time of year (it's not!)

• Like 1

So, last push from some distracting.

Ms. Yingluck may never get the chance to clear her name. Pity really and an injustice in itself!

BTW you guys should try to make your story more consistent. Some said Ms. Yingluck more-or-less asked the senate to reject the 'blanket amnesty bill'

Not distracting, rubl, just countering some propaganda.

If you wish to query the consistency of "stories" I suggest you reply to those you believe are guilty of doing so. I made no claim on anybody's behalf about Yingluck's alleged requests of the Senate so I'm not really sure of what you are talking about - not for the first time.

So, back to pseudo modding for you, rubl............................coffee1.gif

This has the smell of a Shinawatra witch hunt , a vendetta , to give a sense of feel good to those who oppose them .

The military administration should be seeking peace throughout the land of Thailand . Impeachment of Yingluck and her close aides will not serve to attract support from people of the north and north east . People of those regions need to be convinced of the good faith of the present government , Impeachment of Yingluck will not show a sense of magnanimity in respect of what is past , to gain the confidence of these people .

She might be guilty, but why she is the only guilty party in the last govt, is a very big stretch

It's just the Captain who's supposed to go down with the ship...

Now sometimes the outsider might observe that the Captain actually had no real knowledge or reasonable oversight opportunity, etc., etc., etc., But many actually don't think that about YL. 'Not the only guilty party for certain - that's too true. But in the minds of many she's the most culpable, and the great facilitator & enabler. Most of it couldn't have happened without her. But others of her party should be in the dock along with her, no doubt. (As far as I'm concerned, TS should be there as well, but why would you submit yourself to a hot stuffy courtroom when you could instead be enjoying your purloined billions in a deluxe penthouse suite in Dubai? I mean really. Even for family! Get real.)

Edited by hawker9000

Handsomely rewarded no doubt, he was after all in league with the current masters.

Handsomely rewarded no doubt, he was after all in league with the current masters.

Apologists---TOPIC. the last push to save Yingluck.....not Suthep or the army..................please tell us how much he was rewarded ???

You cut and paste a piece of the article and your first comment is "if she's innocent why worry" Can you clear this up for me and point to the clip you've copied that says she is worried? Or in fact, anywhere in the article that says she is worried? It does seem logical to me that you cannot impeach or charge a person on a charter or law that doesn't exist though. Wouldn't you agree?

Yingluck’s lawyers petition NLA speaker

5-11-2557-15-13-33-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A team of lawyers of former premier Yingluck Shinawatra today submitted a petition to the speaker of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) seeking his role to halt the deliberation of a request to remove her from premiership status, over her negligence to prevent the rice pledging scheme from incurring more damages to the country.

The request to remove her was made to the NLA by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) after finding her guilty of negligence in supervising the rice scheme.

The NLA sets November 12 to deliberate the NACC’s removal call.

Leading the team to petition is former Pheu Thai party spokesman Prompong Nopparit.

Prompong made clear that today’s petition to the NLA is not a political-motivated movement but an exercise of civil right to defend the right of the former premier as some NLA members still do not stay neutral but make inappropriate comments.

He voiced concern that the deliberation might not be transparent.

A lawyer Anek Khamchum said the November 12 schedule for deliberation should be put off to allow enough time for Ms Yingluck as she has just returned from abroad and has not given the NACC’s case file involving the charge to study and defend herself.

He said the former premier was concerned about the removal as it could deprive her right if she is to be banned from politics for five years if the NLA deliberates the request under the environment which neutrality of some NLA remain sceptical.

He said the NLA should allow her to produce her information as she has the right to contend any unclear legal disputes in the case.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/yinglucks-lawyers-petition-nla-speaker/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-05

You cut and paste a piece of the article and your first comment is "if she's innocent why worry" Can you clear this up for me and point to the clip you've copied that says she is worried? Or in fact, anywhere in the article that says she is worried? It does seem logical to me that you cannot impeach or charge a person on a charter or law that doesn't exist though. Wouldn't you agree?

Next you'll be saying she shouldn't be charged or impeached or whatever just cos she isn't PM any longer . . .

Next you'll be saying she shouldn't be charged or impeached or whatever just cos she isn't PM any longer . . .

Not at all. Firstly I asked a previous poster to enlighten me on his statement. Second, if there is a current law that fits any alleged crime then great, get on with it. But you can't use laws or charters that don't exist any more, can you? If you can (then why aren't they currently laws or charters?) how far back in time do you go? Back to a law that was goes back in the 1400's allowing possible witches to be drowned to see if they're witches, for example? It's nonsense.

• Like 1

A lawyer Anek Khamchum said the November 12 schedule for deliberation should be put off to allow enough time for Ms Yingluck as she has just returned from abroad and has not given the NACC’s case file involving the charge to study and defend herself.

It was her own choice to go abroad isn't ?

• Like 1

It was her own choice to go abroad isn't ?

Of course it was her choice to travel.......which makes one think that she doesn't care...and I'm sure she has some very good legal people going with this.......she most likely understands that impeachment, and a ban on politics, probably won't happen.

However.....with the realease of the TDRI report today announcing the massive losses over the rice scheme....a legitimate case could be put.......but again..it takes will of the legislators to move...and we all know they're a spineless lot!!