How to convert Tourist Visa to Non Imm + retirement extension of stay in Pattaya

I assume this is possible? Or is it better to apply for a Non-Imm O( do any regional embassies issue this) outside country and then make extension.

I appreciate if someone can walk me step by step thru process or point me to a thread already explaining.

How many days into the original visa should this process be done. Could I do it the first day in country, or do I have to wait until the visa is almost expired? Does the visa have to first be converted to Non-Imm O and then apply for extension of stay at the same time. Is it done on the spot or over several days. Do I have to supply a proof of address?

If my spouse who is less than 50 enters on a tourist visa, can she do the same conversion at the same time, or does she have to wait until I have completed everything and then do it. Is she better to wait until I have received conversion/extension and apply for dependent visa outside Thailand?

Sorry if this has been asked before….

The change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa can no longer be done in Jomtien. You would have to it in Bangkok. It will take two trips to Bangkok to get it.

You can do it at any time during the 60 day entry up to the last 15 days.

You will need 800K baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Your wife would have to go out for a single entry non-o visa. Conversions are not done for dependent extensions.

It would be best for both of you to go out for the non-o visas. You wife would be able to get hers at the same time you get yours.

You would need need financial proof to get your visa.

Thank you for the advice.

Re the 800k, does this mean I have to visit my bank just before visiting immigration and getting a letter stating that the balance is 800k. Can bank letter be 1-2 days before. Also I thought I read that the 800k had to be there continuously for 2 months before the conversion?

Re the non-Imm O, can Thai consulate in Bali issue this? What other regional consulates? Savanaket, Penang, others?

Thanks again....

The change of visa status from a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa can no longer be done in Jomtien. You would have to it in Bangkok. It will take two trips to Bangkok to get it.

You will need 800K baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Your wife would have to go out for a single entry non-o visa. Conversions are not done for dependent extensions.

It would be best for both of you to go out for the non-o visas. You wife would be able to get hers at the same time you get yours.

Edited by faulu

To the conversion in Bangkok you will need a bank letter confirming the balance of 800k baht and one stating that the funds came from abroad (not needed for the extension). The same day or the day before is best for Bangkok. Most banks have branches in the basement at immigration in Bangkok.

The money only has to be in the bank for 60 days when you do the extension. Not needed for the conversion.

I am sure the consulate in Bali would do the non-o. Any of the nearby embassies and consulates will do them.

Go to any visa agent in Pattaya and they will do all the legwork for you within one week for about 20k. No need for you to travel to BKK or visit immigration.

Surprising that you forget to mention that such visa is illegal, involves corruption, and could put the OP in trouble in the future...

Go to any visa agent in Pattaya and they will do all the legwork for you within one week for about 20k. No need for you to travel to BKK or visit immigration.

If you qualify for the visa conversion and extension there's really no need to use an agent to complete the process legitimately.

The embassy affidavit and/or bank manager's letter would require that you do the "legwork" and you are expected to appear in person for the extension unless, under some circumstances, you have documented medical issues. Circumventing the legitimate process by not appearing in person at immigrations means, among other things, that you won't see that the passport and application were actually accepted by immigrations and that the stamps put in your passport are legitimate. That can come back to bite you in the derriere in future.

Really no need to pay Baht 20,000 to accomplish the needful on your own and no assurance that everything was done properly if you simply hand it over to an agent who may or may not be doing things in an above-board way.

Edited by Suradit69

Surprising that you forget to mention that such visa is illegal, involves corruption, and could put the OP in trouble in the future...

Not necessary for sure, but Illegal, that has to be seen. When all the paperwork is in order it is not illegal to use an agent.

Hi - I need to apply for my retirement visa also. My question is I'm currently on a Tourist visa with 5 days left on my 60 day stamp, but I will have another 30 days if I get the next stamp from immigration. Can I just apply for the retirement visa now and not have to get the additional 30 day stamp? I already have all the necessary paperwork to apply.

Thanks

Hi - I need to apply for my retirement visa also. My question is I'm currently on a Tourist visa with 5 days left on my 60 day stamp, but I will have another 30 days if I get the next stamp from immigration. Can I just apply for the retirement visa now and not have to get the additional 30 day stamp? I already have all the necessary paperwork to apply.

Thanks

You need the 30 days extension first, because 15 days remaining stay are needed for visa conversion. You can do both with a single visit to the region HQ immigration office.

• Like 1

Thanks

You need the 30 days extension first, because 15 days remaining stay are needed for visa conversion. You can do both with a single visit to the region HQ immigration office.

Thank you very much Paz wai.gif

Edited by EnhancePlus

"You will need 800K baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht."

I thought it was possible (for Americans) to obtain an embassy certification or affidavit (letter) to satisfy the financial requirements. Has this changed?

"You will need 800K baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht."

I thought it was possible (for Americans) to obtain an embassy certification or affidavit (letter) to satisfy the financial requirements. Has this changed?

Yes for the income part (if used), Thai immigration can ask for backup documents.

For the funds part (if used) no affidavit is accepted, need Thai bank book and letter.

Yes for the income part (if used), Thai immigration can ask for backup documents.

For the funds part (if used) no affidavit is accepted, need Thai bank book and letter.

Well, yes, obviously for the income part. Is there any guidance concerning what is, and maybe more importantly what is not, acceptable as a "backup document"? For military retirees, would the DFAS Retirement Account Statement (RAS) be enough. Or are we talking about something notorized, on official letterhead, etc.? Can it be an electronic version, or must it be something printed out and submitted?

Edited by hawker9000

Well, yes, obviously for the income part. Is there any guidance concerning what is, and maybe more importantly what is not, acceptable as a "backup document"? For military retirees, would the DFAS Retirement Account Statement (RAS) be enough. Or are we talking about something notorized, on official letterhead, etc.? Can it be an electronic version, or must it be something printed out and submitted?

You can certainly use the income affidavit from the embassy to prove the 65k baht.income.

For back up proof your account statement may be accepted. Or they might want to see proof you are bringing money into the country. The best proof of this is a Thai bank book showing some transfers into the country.

I went to get my Non Imm visa in Chiang Mai yesterday. They wanted a letter from the bank saying I had 800k baht in my account and the bank book that had been updated that day. Also the original lease on my house and copies of all of the above. No problem as I had all this...And then was informed that I had to have a Thai person to attend an interview with me to do some sort of translation??? They didn't care if I knew the person or not but the end story was no Thai person you get no visa...so no visa for me.

Anyone else ever come across this? I think they made it up on the day!

I went to get my Non Imm visa in Chiang Mai yesterday. They wanted a letter from the bank saying I had 800k baht in my account and the bank book that had been updated that day. Also the original lease on my house and copies of all of the above. No problem as I had all this...And then was informed that I had to have a Thai person to attend an interview with me to do some sort of translation??? They didn't care if I knew the person or not but the end story was no Thai person you get no visa...so no visa for me.

Anyone else ever come across this? I think they made it up on the day!

Interesting. Too bad won't be read by the folks always so grateful about the wonderful customer service received at Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I went to get my Non Imm visa in Chiang Mai yesterday. They wanted a letter from the bank saying I had 800k baht in my account and the bank book that had been updated that day.

Nice to see CM still does conversions for retirement eligibles. Others, like Jomtien, are now requiring such conversions be done in Bangkok. Anybody have a tally on who still does conversions, other than CM?

The are doing them at offices where the division headquarters for the regions are located.

In the south Hat Yai is doing them. As said already for the north is CM. Central is Bangkok. Not sure about the northeast. Kap Choeng in Surin had been doing them.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to get my Non Imm visa in Chiang Mai yesterday. They wanted a letter from the bank saying I had 800k baht in my account and the bank book that had been updated that day.

Nice to see CM still does conversions for retirement eligibles. Others, like Jomtien, are now requiring such conversions be done in Bangkok. Anybody have a tally on who still does conversions, other than CM?

You have to have 21 days remaining and Chiang Mai Immigration is not doing them. They are sent to the Chiang Mai Regional HQ 5 which is on the north side of town.

• 1 month later...

You have to have 21 days remaining and Chiang Mai Immigration is not doing them. They are sent to the Chiang Mai Regional HQ 5 which is on the north side of town.

From other reports not even Chiang Mai is doing visa conversion anmymore.

Is Samui Immigration doing these conversions as well?

No they are not. You have to go to Hay Yai or Bangkok and it would require 2 trips to get the visa/entry stamp.

It would be best to make a trip to Penang for single entry non-o visa.

• 1 month later...

Okay, got the Non-O visa conversion at Bangkok. Other than the effort to get there, it was a pleasure dealing with them. Used the income letter sworn to at the U.S. Embassy and was not asked for any backup documentation. The next step will be the extension which I know I can do in Jomtien. Should I expect to need another income letter for the extension?

Okay, got the Non-O visa conversion at Bangkok. Other than the effort to get there, it was a pleasure dealing with them. Used the income letter sworn to at the U.S. Embassy and was not asked for any backup documentation. The next step will be the extension which I know I can do in Jomtien. Should I expect to need another income letter for the extension?

Yes if you left the original with them. What is normally done is show the original and leave a copy.

• 10 months later...

I would like a retirement visa. I don't have 800,000Baht in an account, however, I've just rented out my apartment in the UK and have more than 14,000Baht a month.

As I've just rented out, I don't have 3 months of income showing. I do have a 1 year rental contract.

What next?