To live and die in Thailand or not

Sigurris

This is a slightly different version of the many questions asked about living here.

A quick background. I have lived here 7 years, own a very nice home, have a good job that pays pretty well and a girlfriend. I have fiends and a life here. In the UK I have two grown up children who I love dearly.

On Monday my world was turned upside down. I got confirmation that I have 3-6 months left due to advanced inorperable pancreaic cancer. Although I will fight it I am also realstic enough to know that the projections ae propably accurate.

My kids want me ro return to the UK. I want to live a normal life for as long as possible. To return to the UK would fell to me like going home to die.

This is not a thread about the cost of medical care more an enquiry about what you would do in my situation (which is not a traolling one).

• Like 2

Just read your post, and have been knocked for six, my heart goes out to you, with your sad news.

Such a difficult difficult question, but if it was me I would head back to England...

Your kids are there, and as Costas said, the Treatment will be better.

Where ever you choose, best of luck, and be positive, and hope the doctors have got it wrong..

Take care

OP I tend to go along with Costas.

Your children are there and I'm sure they would like to spend time with you, as you say 'you love them dearly.

It's not my business regarding property or relationships here, you must make a decision on them.

I believe you will get better care back 'home' as the support structure's in place for such people as yourself are excellent.

Also, I would go there simply to have a second or even third opinion, I've seen too many mistakes here.

The thing that comes mostly to mind is pain control and I'm sorry to say that when it comes to this issue Thailand sucks.

In the UK you will certainly be kept as pain free as possible allowing you to go along peacefully.

You could have your girlfriend over on compassionate grounds, I believe the authorities are quite good with this sort of situation.

All the very best whatever you decide

• Like 2

Mate...so sorry to hear such stark news. I pray for you, your family and friends that you enjoy the next period of your life.

In regards to your question....home is where the heart is, so I am sure that you will make a decision based upon your true inner feelings. Your friends and family will respect whatever choice you make, even if they don't necessarily agree.

All the best, live your remaining life to the fullest.

• Like 2

I would stay in Thailand and would figure out what insurance you have from your company and which hospitals are attached to the insurance.

If you work at a larger company you should be fine in terms of getting the best possible treatment at private hospitals,If you have a nice house sell it off

I had ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia) in 2004 and survived it in Thailand. I was advised to go back to Germany but I refused as I have been staying in Thailand to long. I am aware you have grown up kids in Europe but you could send them in to Thailand and sponsor them a great trip to Thailand.

I am not sure how long you have been with you GF but think about her too. She has been in your life and if you two had a genuine relationship why not die in her arms.

Any way I am sorry to hear about your situation and I feel for you.

• Like 2

Several years ago a good friend of mine discovered he had multiple cancerous tumours in the brain. He was given 3 months to live and survived for 6 months. He did what HE wanted, not what his family wanted. His idea was to keep his lifestyle as normal as possible and asked myself and one other friend if we could help him try achieve this. We said yes.

He did suffer a lot in the end yet he lived his life to the full with friends as best he could. It took a lot of dedication from two of us to help him achieve this and to treat him as normal as possible, but that is what friends are for.

My point being - seriously consider what you want to do and if there is someone who is willing to help in this. It is hard work emotionally for those helping and you need to be sure they can cope. Be that here in Thailand or back in the U.K.

Sincerest condolences from one who watched a very good friend die too young.

• Like 2

I take it you are speaking about yourself. how would you feel if you had been given that horrible news

God Bless you Sigurris. I,m afraid I can not answer your question. but this might sound morbid,

ask yourself this do I want to have a Burial or Cremation.

So sorry to hear your news and hope your fight for a longer survival is successful.

I don't think any of us knows how we would react in a situation like this but i like to think if it happened to me i would want to end my days where i feel most settled and comfortable. For me personally that would be right here in Thailand even though i have five grown up children back in England and eleven Grandchildren too. There is nothing to stop family coming to visit us here, apart perhaps from money restrictions, but is it realistic for ones offspring to expect us to uproot and move back next to them just because we may be ill or facing an early demise ? Our Son's and Daughter's have known all along that we have moved here to settle and that one day we will die, be it in the short or long term, so i would say it is unreasonable of them to expect us to up sticks and destroy our comfortable life in a place where we would foresee our own end, be it sooner or later.

Whatever you decide i wish you well.

• Like 1

Thie isn't a question that Thaivisa can answer. Every one has different needs. Myself, I dream that I may stay here until the end. It is the palliative care bit that worries me. Good luck with your decision, which only you can make.

The reason I am here now is because when an old friend of mine was in his last weeks at a hospice with an incurable cancer he said to me "You never know what life will bring, if there is something you want to do, do it now"

That was when I decided to get out and Thailand is the place I ended up and will be, barring accident on the way, where my life finishes.

I can only echo my friends words to you, do what you want to do, don't worry about leaving things for others make the most of the time you have left, what you want to do and where you want to do is up to you.

The best any of us can wish for is a pain free passing in the arms of someone who loves us.

• Like 2

A guy I know is 69 and just foregone his throat cancer treatment to go off to Thailand for six months.

He's solvent and remains reasonably fit.

He knows perfectly well what he is doing.....a tough choice but one he has made....and you have to admire him for it.

I wish you all the best OP and hope you get much longer than your prognosis suggests.

My grandfather was given six months Max in 1976 and jogged along until 2004.

• Like 2