Ebola can continue living in semen of recovered patients, Bangkok doctor says

webfact

Ebola can continue living in semen of recovered patients
Puangchompoo Prasert
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- MEN REMAIN contagious even after recovering from the deadly Ebola virus because it remains in the semen for an extended period, a prominent Bangkok doctor has said.

"Hence, men should be cautious in what they do. They must understand that they can pass the disease to others if they are not careful," said Prof Dr Thiravat Hemachudha, the head of the Collaborating Centre for Research and Training on Viral Zoonoses at Chula-longkorn University's Faculty of Medicine.

Thiravat said that he had learned about this from Prof Dr Michael V Callahan of the Harvard Medical School when he visited Thailand in September, and the report would be published in a world-class medical journal soon.

According to the World Health Organisation, men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to seven weeks.

This year Ebola has claimed thousands of lives as there is no cure. Thiravat said that Ebola patients could only receive palliative treatment. He said providing intravenous fluids was among the measures used to help patients and a device that allowed medical staff to safely monitor a patient's fluid level was now available at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute at Nonthaburi.

"This device can transmit information on the fluid level digitally, thus reducing the risk of medical staff contracting the disease," he said.

As for measures used to screen passengers at airports, Thiravat said officials should be aware that some passengers could take pills to reduce their fever or use water to lower their temperature. "In these cases, thermo scanners do not help."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ebola-can-continue-living-in-semen-of-recovered-pa-30247197.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-07

>As for measures used to screen passengers at airports, Thiravat said officials should be aware that some passengers could take pills to reduce their fever or use water to lower their temperature. "In these cases, thermo scanners do not help."<Quote>

First semen and now water!! Yeah, those fluids are dangerous stuff!!w00t.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So a doctor relays information to the general public(some who might not read the Times, some who might not be able to read English), does not claim to have made the discovery...and the TV grumpy, old, cynical brigade can even find a problem with that. Unbelievable. Well, you know what they say: TITV

I think he is the same doctor who found a cure for Ebola which announced here

>As for measures used to screen passengers at airports, Thiravat said officials should be aware that some passengers could take pills to reduce their fever or use water to lower their temperature. "In these cases, thermo scanners do not help."<Quote>

Well obviously they must organise "happy ending" massages for all incoming men. Then test the semen.

Wonder if they can do a taste test?

This has been published for a long time on the WHO - World Health Organization's Ebola information sites. A man who would have Ebola viruses in his semen would have already gone thorough a very difficult battle with Ebola and would be lucky to be alive. Male Ebola survivors are given this information during the recovery and convalescent phase before being discharged from the hospital.

I learnt about this from the Sunday Times.

So did he . . . . probably.

He said he had to go all the way to Harvard....

Wrong - what he said was that he was told by the Harvard Professor when he visited Thailand - see the first post.

I read about this in an Australian newspaper the other day, and that report stated that a man could be infectious through semen for 90 days - a longer period than stated in other posts, however I guess the science is still in its early days.

• Like 1

So a doctor relays information to the general public(some who might not read the Times, some who might not be able to read English), does not claim to have made the discovery...and the TV grumpy, old, cynical brigade can even find a problem with that. Unbelievable. Well, you know what they say: TITV

"Thiravat said that he had learned about this from Prof Dr Michael V Callahan of the Harvard Medical School when he visited Thailand in September, and the report would be published in a world-class medical journal soon."

Can I ask you why has this Thai professor jumped the gun and released the results of "Prof Dr Michael V Callahan" study before it has been published?

Is the Thai prof attention seeking, big noting himself?

Is what he has been quoted as saying actually accurate?

The first discovery of viable Ebola virus in a recovered patient's (men's) semen was first announced in 1977 and confirmed by a study in 1999. It is hardly new news. In fact I believe I have mentioned it previously on this Forum, but who actually reads the posts on here.

Edited by tigermonkey

Bad news for tourists as now they can expect prices at BJ Bars to increase due to the added risk to hostesses.

The new popular phrase will be "where you been" as they will be less concerned about "where you go".

coffee1.gifbah.gif

...and even, "why you cum here"

Well obviously they must organise "happy ending" massages for all incoming men. Then test the semen.

Wonder if they can do a taste test?

are you volunteering? licklips.gif

"Thiravat said that he had learned about this from Prof Dr Michael V Callahan of the Harvard Medical School when he visited Thailand in September, and the report would be published in a world-class medical journal soon."

Can I ask you why has this Thai professor jumped the gun and released the results of "Prof Dr Michael V Callahan" study before it has been published?

Is the Thai prof attention seeking, big noting himself?

Is what he has been quoted as saying actually accurate?

In order of asking

No, or at least unlikely as it has been standard practice for a while now to tell recovered men to refrain from sex or use condoms for a specified period of time.

Yes, in that is seeking attention, but could be doing so for all the right reasons. That is assuming ebola ever actually gets here. Premature advice perhaps.

Yes, as far as I know. However I could be wrong.

Edited by Bluespunk

I learnt about this from the Sunday Times.

So did he . . . . probably.

He said he had to go all the way to Harvard....

WRONG!!!! READ the WHOLE article before commenting please....

"Thiravat said that he had learned about this from Prof Dr Michael V Callahan of the Harvard Medical School when he visited Thailand in September"