Thai Baht AUS$ falling everyday. Anyone have an insight on what may happen?

Heading over in two weeks and was planning to transfer some start up money over ($50k) to buy a pick up

and get set up. I don't have my bank account set up yet so unable to tfer money and travel card rates

are pathetic. Does anyone have any insight as to what may happen if will go up or down more?

Obviously if someone knew that for sure they would be a rich man but just wondering should I just send

a little money now if there is a chance the baht will bounce back up again in the next few months?

Some are saying the AUS$ will fall to 0.80c US before it comes back

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The AUD is at levels that au treasury are not all that happy with. The exchange rate against the standard..ie greenback was a while back very high.

Normal rates for AUD may fall below 0.80 USD. Some predicting lower....

If you live here and have to exchange into baht on regular basis move your aid into something else. Gold would not be stupid, esp given world events.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 2

Heading over in two weeks and was planning to transfer some start up money over ($50k) to buy a pick up

and get set up. I don't have my bank account set up yet so unable to tfer money and travel card rates

are pathetic. Does anyone have any insight as to what may happen if will go up or down more?

Obviously if someone knew that for sure they would be a rich man but just wondering should I just send

a little money now if there is a chance the baht will bounce back up again in the next few months?

Some are saying the AUS$ will fall to 0.80c US before it comes back

Some are saying a lot lower and lower to stay. Exchange rates are not like shares. The "general trend " for them is up.....meaning including crashes and adjustments they rise. X rates not so.

Move out of dollars now.

• Like 1

Though not officially pegged to the USD, the baht always seems strong against it despite any events which would indicate otherwise.

As Winnerinsix and jacksam said, the Aussie treasury wants a lower AUD to boost export competitiveness.

The AUD has been steadily losing ground against the USD for almost 4 years so,

post-186586-0-20491700-1415342779_thumb.

while you might get a short term gain or loss depending on the day

post-186586-0-17651900-1415342804_thumb.

I would guess that the longer you wait, the more it will cost you.

Dont confuse the value of USD to health of economy overall....you may wish to look at USA debt.

I suppose if everyone was to pay back what they owed....we would still be ok.

In any case....This is not about the USA debt. More about the weak AUD .

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

NZ$ dropped from 28 to 24 in the last six weeks.

That's a 17% loss.

I have just been looking at all the exchange rates Saw your post and was going to click on "Like that" but I certainly do NOT like what is happening to currencies not officially or unofficially tied to the Euro or the US. Could be worse. Look at the Rouble against ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Bring some cash .. open an account and wait until after Xmas and transfer then .. This time of the year seems to see the exchange rate drop below what you can expect around March/April. It is very unpredictable but what I have noticed the AUD does ride a roller coaster with midweek being the best days usually every 2 weeks.

I'd just go ahead and transfer now. If you're waiting for the Aussie to hit 30 baht again, you might not have that new pickup for a long time.

You're still going to get that new car far cheaper than what you'd pay in Australia anyway.

Nobody knows what the dollar will do. I clearly recall the last time that the Aussie dollar dropped below 90 cents, 'experts' were coming out of the woodwork in the media proclaiming that the Aussie would promptly fall to 70 cents or even as low as 55 cents to the $US. What happened next? It climbed back up to 94 cents and stayed thereabouts for over 6 months.

On balance, it would appear that sentiment is more bullish on the $US recently and who knows how long this will last?

With the Russian ruble down 30% to the Thai baht compared to last high season, I think the tourism sector is in for a rude shock this Christmas season. Can you imagine the $AUD fetching 20 baht? That's the equivalent fall for the Russians. I think this may negatively affect the baht.

Edited by Tazwa
  • Like 1

The saving grace if you are converting A$ to Thai baht is that the Thai economy is not travelling well. A stock take on the failed, and stupid rice scheme, has revealed losses amounting to a trillion baht amongst other negative news.

That can't be waved away it has to be absorbed. The new regime now seems to be putting hurdles in front of foreign investment and Thai household debt has risen 45 % in the last 5 years my bank manager tells me.

So Thailand is still liveable for anyone seeking an alternative to living in Oz. I well know I certainly couldn't afford to live in Australia. Sydney now the 3 rd most expensive city in the world to buy real estate and live where did it all go wrong ?

Whatever you do don't going buying real estate here you could be in a dark place for a long time. Rent and take your time.

De valuation of the Thai baht is also a possibility according to "experts",crystal ball anyone ?

• Like 2

Ummmmm made big mistake in a post....

I meant to say "gold would be stupid..." Rather than gold would not be stupid.....

Anyway I'm sure people wouldn't be jumping into gold at present.......another 12 months or so maybe....let's see what happens with Europe also what will be demand for gold from China down the track.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice fellers. I think I'll just go over and sit tight. Problem is we live about 60km out from the city and renting a car is prohibitive and too far for a motor bike.

I have to say this is the only forum I have ever been on where there is 100% positive and constructive advice. Great to not have someone jump in correcting spelling errors or driving your question off topic completely with a side debate before even getting an answer. Great stuff!

• Like 1

Greasyfingers you are correct. As a retired Australian Customs Officer it is a simple document related to money laundering viz crime. Nothing to hide - no probs. And I note you mentioned FOREX. I have no financial interest in OZFOREX (except I use there facilicity for transfer of funds). Beats all the banks by miles -my personal experience. Hope this may help others - maybe I'll receive a Christmas Card from OZFOREX for my recommendation.

• Like 1

The US$ is the problem also as the Thai Baht is pegged to the US and Aussie biggest exports are commodities like coal, iron ore ect and this stuff is going down all the time mainly due to less buying from the east. I took quite a few thousand Kiwi $ with me and declare it leaving Aussie and arriving in Thailand no problems and wait for a better rate if you can if not the best exchange places are Super Rich exchanges.

It is hard at the moment year ago I changed quite a few kiwi at 28. But now it is 25 all to do with the US$ they say the US$ is going to crash but I do not believe it will the US will not let that happen so not much luck for you over the next 6-12 months Mate.

The saving grace if you are converting A$ to Thai baht is that the Thai economy is not travelling well. A stock take on the failed, and stupid rice scheme, has revealed losses amounting to a trillion baht amongst other negative news.

That can't be waved away it has to be absorbed. The new regime now seems to be putting hurdles in front of foreign investment and Thai household debt has risen 45 % in the last 5 years my bank manager tells me.

So Thailand is still liveable for anyone seeking an alternative to living in Oz. I well know I certainly couldn't afford to live in Australia. Sydney now the 3 rd most expensive city in the world to buy real estate and live where did it all go wrong ?

Whatever you do don't going buying real estate here you could be in a dark place for a long time. Rent and take your time.

De valuation of the Thai baht is also a possibility according to "experts",crystal ball anyone ?

yeah right ''experts''. I meet financial experts every morning when i take a dump.

• Like 1