Koh Tao suspects to be indicted by end of month

Lite Beer

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

• Like 1

greenchair, on 27 Feb 2015 - 11:56, said:greenchair, on 27 Feb 2015 - 11:56, said:

Did anyone look at the time stamps of the picture

Yes. I don't know the reason for the time in the upper left corner but the real time of this CCTV still image is in the upper right corner directly after the date. This is the usual date/time format for all CCTV cameras I believe, i.e. the date and time are always together. You will also notice that the font is different between the time on the left and the date/time on the right in this particular image.

Edited by IslandLover

jimmybkk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 18:28, said:jimmybkk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 18:28, said:
JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 16:13, said:JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 16:13, said:
greenchair, on 27 Feb 2015 - 14:57, said:greenchair, on 27 Feb 2015 - 14:57, said:
JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:39, said:JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:39, said:Yes really as the gent posited elsewhere.
And who might that single passenger be one might ask????

bb7db58eee4d31651c9948e3752918fc.jpg

That's that Tom Wood guy, right? Well I'll be... I knew it! I knew there was a gay connection to all this!

Thanks for sharing Mr. Crab wai.gif

Oh please ... don't tell me Brad Pitt is gay. I'm just sooooo disappointed sick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vrJpEP3T5-

Just joking. Thanks for the photo Mr. Crab. I've saved it to my computer wub.png

Edited by IslandLover

jdinasia, on 26 Feb 2015 - 14:23, said:

They are indicted. They will have a trial.

Bail from a foreign government will not be offered, though a bail fund raised by some members of a Myanmar's Parliament has been mentioned. Where the funds come from is irrelevant if bail is not granted by the court.

Foreign governments cannot intervene directly in the legal system of another country. This is even more important when you have British victims, Malaysian defendants, and a Thai court. It simply has to play out.

Pleas can be made, but we only have to look at Indonesia and the 2 Australian drug smugglers to see the results.

Pleas can be made, but we only have to look at Indonesia and the 2 Australian drug smugglers to see the results.

That's because they didn't have enough money to pay the bribes. Neither did Lindsay Sandiford who is now on death row. Julian Ponder did and only got 6 years.

Not off topic because I've heard the justice system in Thailand is very similar to that of Indonesia. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

seahorse, on 27 Feb 2015 - 03:02, said:

Going back to the topic of the walking man in the black shirt from the thread that was recently closed (much to the delight of Ali G and his gang (absolutely no respect from me btw)).

Surely he is the plus one of the B2+1 whose name I'm not sure of (is it Maung Maung?).

The B2 said they went for a swim, no? When Mr Plus One came out of the water, he could have swapped shirts with his mate before going to see his girl. That cctv image could be used by the defence as evidence.

This guy seems like a hero to me. He refused to dob in his mates even when tortured. I'd like to hear more from him.

One report said the B2 went for a swim and when they came out of the water, they found their clothes had been stolen, which later turned up at the police station. There was never any mention that Maung Maung had also been for a swim. He said he left the B2 sitting on the log drinking beer and playing guitar and went back to his room/girlfriend. Why he is pictured wearing Win's t-shirt is a complete mystery.

You are correct that he refused to dob in his mates, despite being beaten up by the RTP, and for that he should be commended.

• Like 2

greenchair, on 27 Feb 2015 - 05:24, said:

That is why this picture is significant. If it can be shown the time on the left is correct, it means it cannot be Maung Maung. They were on the motorbike at that time.

The reason who this is; is important can be shown because of another picture with this same man walking back with no jandal. There was a bloody jandal found at the scene.

Probably this person was there.

Is it Maung Maung or not? ???attachicon.gifpost-223227-0-74164500-1419216100.png

I think it is and I also think the timestamp on the right hand side is the correct one. So, he was walking around in Win's t-shirt at 1 a.m. in this particular CCTV image. But what of the other CCTV images? What is the timestamp on those? Do we know?

Hey you left out that nobody checked the records of any taxis that might have driven a singe passenger 15 September 2014 early AM from Chumphon to Bangkok after meeting any speedboats that might have arrived from KT to Chumphon with a single passenger.

I know you're trying to be funny, as you also attempted humor with posting a photo of a movie star (I'm still not chuckling), but Thai investigators did actually speak to some speedboat operators during the first police team's investigation - you may remember them, they were the team that were actually trying to solve the crime.

The replacement team hasn't lifted a finger to further the investigation. Neither have the Brits, judging from their non-communicative ways and dearth of announcements about anything to do with the crime. It's as though the Brit experts don't give a hoot about what happened, or that the real killers may likely be out, walking around, looking to commit more heinous crimes - knowing they're untouchable.

Or the "replacement team" was diligent, got the right guys, and simply didn't put out press releases......after seeing how that went with the first team.

You have no idea. The trial will let us know what the evidence is.

• Like 1

Mooner, on 27 Feb 2015 - 07:47, said:
jdinasia, on 27 Feb 2015 - 07:22, said:

"so you are 100% sure of a guilty verdict " is a statement the rest is a question tag that doesn't make it a question.

You have not see the evidence that will be presented in court. The UK police have reviewed at least some of the evidence. They discussed it with the families. The families issued a statement that was clearly calling for a trial.

I'll wait for the trial to make the determination of guilt or innocence.

I think we all know JD's thoughts on this. I think its best not to bait each other as we dont want this thread closed too. JD has said that he will wait for the trail to make his decision so i guess he has nothing further to add.

Some of us here like to speculate and there is nothing wrong with that. Lets just keep the ideas flowing between ourselves and not bait or bite at other posters.

Some of us here like to speculate and there is nothing wrong with that.

On the contrary, speculation is banned here, apparently whistling.gif.

But I agree that we need to keep this thread open somehow and being civil is the best way to do that.

• Like 1

Hey you left out that nobody checked the records of any taxis that might have driven a singe passenger 15 September 2014 early AM from Chumphon to Bangkok after meeting any speedboats that might have arrived from KT to Chumphon with a single passenger.

I know you're trying to be funny, as you also attempted humor with posting a photo of a movie star (I'm still not chuckling), but Thai investigators did actually speak to some speedboat operators during the first police team's investigation - you may remember them, they were the team that were actually trying to solve the crime.

The replacement team hasn't lifted a finger to further the investigation. Neither have the Brits, judging from their non-communicative ways and dearth of announcements about anything to do with the crime. It's as though the Brit experts don't give a hoot about what happened, or that the real killers may likely be out, walking around, looking to commit more heinous crimes - knowing they're untouchable.

Or the "replacement team" was diligent, got the right guys, and simply didn't put out press releases......after seeing how that went with the first team.

You have no idea. The trial will let us know what the evidence is.

You wish I had no ideas. But us observers have a lot of ideas. We've heard many press releases by Thai authorities. We've heard what they've said, and then retracted, when they realize what they just said was wrong or stupid.

We've seen videos, stills, diagrams (of wounds to David, for example), and lots more. We have a lot of ideas about this crime.

Perhaps you're speaking for yourself when you claim, "You have no idea." You're not speaking for me and others who want to see justice done.

You have no idea regarding the police investigation after they stopped making silly press releases.

The drivel posted on csila has time and again proven to be wrong. People here claimed that the trial being moved up was so they could convict and execute the defendants before the UK inquest. People here claimed that when the British police came they would solve the case a different way......

What we have from the families of the victims should be enough for people to stop speculating and wait for the trial.

• Like 1

greenchair, on 27 Feb 2015 - 15:07, said:

So Jimmy, you are saying the time on the left is not right.

So, how do we know that the on the right is not the screenshot time

Why would anyone need to take a screenshot at 1 am in the morning on 15/09/2014 before the murders had taken place? The CCTV footage was only looked at after the murders had taken place, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

jimmybkk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 15:09, said:
JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:35, said:

Hey you left out that nobody checked the records of any taxis that might have driven a single passenger 15 September 2014 early AM from Chumphon to Bangkok after meeting any speedboats that might have arrived from KT to Chumphon with a single passenger.

I would be interested to hear what the speedboat driver has to say to someone other than the RTP, because he possibly witnessed something that night that made him decide that the best course of action for him to take was to go live in a cave for a while...

There was a report in the Nation which claimed that some fishermen had seen a speedboat, identified as the Little Duck, acting suspiciously on the morning of the murders. The fishermen had been asked for directions and then saw the speedboat speed away from its intended destination after spotting a police boat in the area. I can't remember the exact date of that report but it was very early on in the investigation.

• Like 2

Going back to the topic of the walking man in the black shirt from the thread that was recently closed (much to the delight of Ali G and his gang (absolutely no respect from me btw)).

Surely he is the plus one of the B2+1 whose name I'm not sure of (is it Maung Maung?).

The B2 said they went for a swim, no? When Mr Plus One came out of the water, he could have swapped shirts with his mate before going to see his girl. That cctv image could be used by the defence as evidence.

This guy seems like a hero to me. He refused to dob in his mates even when tortured. I'd like to hear more from him.

It's AleG, it's only four letters, not that difficult, is it?

Muang Muang wasn't tortured, he also didn't go for a swim with the other two, besides that, the two accused men claimed their clothes (and the guitar) were stolen after the swim.

So, basically, you are wrong about everything you said, at least try to respect the truth, can you?

jimmybkk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 15:09, said:
JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:35, said:

Hey you left out that nobody checked the records of any taxis that might have driven a single passenger 15 September 2014 early AM from Chumphon to Bangkok after meeting any speedboats that might have arrived from KT to Chumphon with a single passenger.

I would be interested to hear what the speedboat driver has to say to someone other than the RTP, because he possibly witnessed something that night that made him decide that the best course of action for him to take was to go live in a cave for a while...

There was a report in the Nation which claimed that some fishermen had seen a speedboat, identified as the Little Duck, acting suspiciously on the morning of the murders. The fishermen had been asked for directions and then saw the speedboat speed away from its intended destination after spotting a police boat in the area. I can't remember the exact date of that report but it was very early on in the investigation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Koh-Tao-police-fail-another-day-30243890.html -- and maybe they then made a detour to Chumphon.

• Like 1

JLCrab, on 28 Feb 2015 - 03:57, said:
IslandLover, on 28 Feb 2015 - 03:47, said:
jimmybkk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 15:09, said:jimmybkk, on 27 Feb 2015 - 15:09, said:
JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:35, said:JLCrab, on 27 Feb 2015 - 12:35, said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Koh-Tao-police-fail-another-day-30243890.html -- and maybe they then made a detour to Chumphon.

Thanks for reminding us Mr. Crab.

Some fishermen fishing off Kanom district in Nakhon Si Thammarat province alerted police that they found a Thai man on a speedboat named "Little Duck" speeding south from Koh Pha Ngan. The man stopped by and asked for directions to Naiprao Island in the district. But he changed direction to Pakpanang district in the same province after his boat encountered a marine police boat on Naiprao beach.

AleG, on 28 Feb 2015 - 03:56, said:

It's AleG, it's only four letters, not that difficult, is it?

Muang Muang wasn't tortured, he also didn't go for a swim with the other two, besides that, the two accused men claimed their clothes (and the guitar) were stolen after the swim.

So, basically, you are wrong about everything you said, at least try to respect the truth, can you?

<sigh> It's becoming very hard to remain civil on this thread, especially when certain people are intent on provoking others with the language they use, but we must if we want to keep it open wai2.gif

Maung Maung WAS tortured when he refused to implicate the B2. He said so in various interviews with the press.

Honesty is a basis for a civil discussion, show me where in the press was it reported that he was tortured.

You won't because it's not true.

But here, let me help you getting started:

"He said that while in police detention he was physically held down and intimidated during interrogation."

• Like 1

Amnesty International has called for an independent investigation into allegations of torture and ill-treatment by Thai police during the investigation into the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao last month.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/amnesty-calls-investigation-torture-allegations-koh-tao.html

Now if the RTP were being honest they would have an independent transparent inquiry into the the claims by the B2, Maung Maung and others. Is that going to happen..................of course not.

• Like 2

The most widely accepted definition of torture internationally is that set out by Article 1 of the United Nations Convention Against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (UNCAT):

“... 'torture' means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.”

http://www.irct.org/what-is-torture/defining-torture.aspx

This definition contains three cumulative elements:

• the intentional infliction of severe mental or physical suffering
  • by a public official, who is directly or indirectly involved
  • for a specific purpose.

http://www.apt.ch/en/what-is-torture/

“I testified exactly what I knew to be true – that I drank beer with my friends Win Zaw Htun and Zaw Lin, that I left them on the beach to go to my girlfriend’s room, and that I found them sleeping in our room when I came home around 5 in the morning.

“I testified neither in favour of my friends nor the Thai police because I believe everyone should be treated equally under the law,” he said. “I have told the truth since the beginning. I would not say my friends committed that crime even if it were to cause harm to me.”

He said that while in police detention he was physically held down and intimidated during interrogation.

https://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murders-third-man-released-returning-to-burma-myanmar/45040

As I said, Maung Maung was tortured and refused to dob his mates in.

I believe he is telling the truth.

• Like 2

The most widely accepted definition of torture internationally is that set out by Article 1 of the United Nations Convention Against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (UNCAT):

“... 'torture' means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.”

http://www.irct.org/what-is-torture/defining-torture.aspx

This definition contains three cumulative elements:

• the intentional infliction of severe mental or physical suffering
  • by a public official, who is directly or indirectly involved
  • for a specific purpose.

http://www.apt.ch/en/what-is-torture/

“I testified exactly what I knew to be true – that I drank beer with my friends Win Zaw Htun and Zaw Lin, that I left them on the beach to go to my girlfriend’s room, and that I found them sleeping in our room when I came home around 5 in the morning.

“I testified neither in favour of my friends nor the Thai police because I believe everyone should be treated equally under the law,” he said. “I have told the truth since the beginning. I would not say my friends committed that crime even if it were to cause harm to me.”

He said that while in police detention he was physically held down and intimidated during interrogation.

https://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murders-third-man-released-returning-to-burma-myanmar/45040

As I said, Maung Maung was tortured and refused to dob his mates in.

I believe he is telling the truth.

I believe you are being intellectually dishonest. Being held down and intimidated is not torture, not even by the definition you provided.

What you haven't provided were any of the many interviews you said Muang Muang claimed he was tortured.

• Like 1