Koh Tao suspects to be indicted by end of month

Lite Beer

Years ago Australia had big problems with police corruption and a Royal Commission was called to sort it out , can the same be done in thailand ?

Not a chance. Thais are too subjective and beholden to several masters. Perhaps if you brought in half-Thais who grew up overseas, like the USA, it might work, because they wouldn't necessarily have the multiple affiliations that all Thais are required to have. Same in politics as in police work, there are simply no Thais in Thailand who are able to be objective (as regards a commission), even if they tried.

lawyer U Aung Myo Thant.

I wonder if he's related to U Thant, who was the UN's first Secretary General (I didn't google it, so am just going on synapses).

• 3 months later...

Yes, the got indicted. Now the long wait for the trial. They'll be jailed for at least a year, until judge(s) declare their finding - and then probably jailed longer (no bail) while appeals crank slowly through the Thai legal system. Sad to be slapped in prison for so long, when their guilt is doubtful. Even offers by the Burmese government to post bail (if bail was an option) and vouch for the boys not fleeing - was abruptly turned down by the Thai government.

• Like 1

Yes, the got indicted. Now the long wait for the trial. They'll be jailed for at least a year, until judge(s) declare their finding - and then probably jailed longer (no bail) while appeals crank slowly through the Thai legal system. Sad to be slapped in prison for so long, when their guilt is doubtful. Even offers by the Burmese government to post bail (if bail was an option) and vouch for the boys not fleeing - was abruptly turned down by the Thai government.

Apparently bail is going to be applied for again, the defense has 2 million baht ready. Will they get bail..............................unlikley

Oh really, where did you hear that?

They are indicted. They will have a trial.

Bail from a foreign government will not be offered, though a bail fund raised by some members of a Myanmar's Parliament has been mentioned. Where the funds come from is irrelevant if bail is not granted by the court.

Foreign governments cannot intervene directly in the legal system of another country. This is even more important when you have British victims, Malaysian defendants, and a Thai court. It simply has to play out.

Pleas can be made, but we only have to look at Indonesia and the 2 Australian drug smugglers to see the results.

• Like 1

Apparently bail is going to be applied for again, the defense has 2 million baht ready. Will they get bail..............................unlikley

Doubtful indeed. They don't want them out of jail because they don't want anyone to hear anything they have to say.

• Like 2

Its mentioned in this article published a couple of days ago http://www.mizzima.com/mizzima-news/myanmar/item/18118-myanmar-team-calls-for-more-money-for-koh-tao-murder-suspects

Its mentioned in this article published a couple of days ago http://www.mizzima.com/mizzima-news/myanmar/item/18118-myanmar-team-calls-for-more-money-for-koh-tao-murder-suspects

That's interesting . Wouldn't it be lovely if they got bail .

• Like 1

Bail from a foreign government will not be offered, though a bail fund raised by some members of a Myanmar's Parliament has been mentioned. Where the funds come from is irrelevant if bail is not granted by the court.

Foreign governments cannot intervene directly in the legal system of another country. This is even more important when you have British victims, Malaysian defendants, and a Thai court. It simply has to play out.

Pleas can be made, but we only have to look at Indonesia and the 2 Australian drug smugglers to see the results.

I think you are getting confused. Malaysian defendants? A drug smuggling case in Indonesia? Totally unrelated. Totally irrelevant. Why mention it?

I think you are getting confused. Malaysian defendants? A drug smuggling case in Indonesia? Totally unrelated. Totally irrelevant. Why mention it?

Pardon the auto fill mistake re: Myanmar and Malaysia :)

The other stands :)

"All the Scotland Yard aunties and the British ambassador were so impressed that they asked the Thai police to come to the UK to train their own police. Even more important than the praise heaped on Thai police by the Brits was their admission that the Thai police used more advanced equipment and techniques in the investigation than their own."

clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifpassifier.gifpassifier.gif

Here's an added belly laugh: Brit ambassador Kent doing his impersonation of Neville Chamberlain

Pardon the auto fill mistake re: Myanmar and Malaysia smile.png

The other stands smile.png

Taking the fifth on that one then... wink.png

Aahhh ok. Got it. You were trying to get this thread shut down by taking it off topic. Tsk tsk... That's really rather naughty JD, and frankly I expected more of you than that.

Nope, I was remarking on the idea of bail.

Since the event predicted in the topic has happened, this is all off topic.

Aahhh ok. Got it. You were trying to get this thread shut down by taking it off topic. Tsk tsk... That's really rather naughty JD, and frankly I expected more of you than that.

Really we must vigilant and stay on the topic of the b2. I do believe many many prisoners are innocent . They cannot afford lawyer lawyers for appeals .

Some of them don't even know how to appeal .

The b2 are very very lucky , they have a government that stands by them .

????

• Like 2

I spotted an interesting article in Thai Rath over the week end, the gist of which I summarize below for the benefit of those who cannot read Thai.

"After the Koh Tao murders a crazy conspiracy developed with a view to making Thai people bitterly hate Thai police. They have repeatedly incited their friends to believe that Thai police looked for Burmese scapegoats to get forced confessions. After the dust had settled and the social media idiots all returned to America, it turned out after 3 DNA tests that the police were right.

Scotland Yard and the British Ambassador, who spent a long time engrossed in the case, asked to see all the details of the DNA tests of 300 people on Koh Tao and the taking of samples. All the Scotland Yard aunties and the British ambassador were so impressed that they asked the Thai police to come to the UK to train their own police. Even more important than the praise heaped on Thai police by the Brits was their admission that the Thai police used more advanced equipment and techniques in the investigation than their own.

Once the imaginative fantasies are over, hopefully people will stop criticizing Thai police."

"All the Scotland Yard aunties and the British ambassador were so impressed that they asked the Thai police to come to the UK to train their own police. Even more important than the praise heaped on Thai police by the Brits was their admission that the Thai police used more advanced equipment and techniques in the investigation than their own."

Yes, the FBI crime lab has also formally requested Thai police come to America and properly train the FBI's people.

• Like 1

That is why this picture is significant. If it can be shown the time on the left is correct, it means it cannot be Maung Maung. They were on the motorbike at that time.

The reason who this is; is important can be shown because of another picture with this same man walking back with no jandal. There was a bloody jandal found at the scene.

Probably this person was there.

Is it Maung Maung or not? ???post-213129-0-23474800-1425010821_thumb.

Please do not discuss forum moderation.

From the Forum Rules:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

There's no "war" for me. I am looking forward to the trial. I am interested in seeing the actual evidence.

Telling me to "move on" isn't appropriate. I choose not to post often on the Koh Tao threads because people who think that they have the killers in custody are shouted down or accused of having financial interests on the island.

• Like 1

There's no "war" for me. I am looking forward to the trial. I am interested in seeing the actual evidence.

Telling me to "move on" isn't appropriate. I choose not to post often on the Koh Tao threads because people who think that they have the killers in custody are shouted down or accused of having financial interests on the island.

Your looking forward to the trial regardless, we are looking forward to a fair and transparent trial and evidence that is not suspect being presented, a huge difference, its a difference between justice and the perversion of justice

• Like 2

Your looking forward to the trial regardless, we are looking forward to a fair and transparent trial and evidence that is not suspect being presented, a huge difference, its a difference between justice and the perversion of justice

There you go again telling me what I think.

I am interested in seeing the actual evidence.