Bangkok Police 'Checkpoints'

jackoholly

Morning All

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

There are several police checkpoints on the roads over Bangkok, mostly in the non-central areas and fairly frequently pass through these when on motorcycle. Now I am confused about is what exactly these police are looking for... It baffles me. I've been pulled over several times for unknown reasons and told to move on when my helmet visor goes up revealing that I'm a farang that doesn't speak enough Thai to get an answer out of them.

So, are they looking for drunk-drivers, kids without licenses, illegal stayers/workers, no tax, no helmets or simply money? Whilst I am (as a foreigner) not breaking any rules, I don't want to be caught and cheated by the bribery system, if that's what they're there for.

Has anyone got any ideas what it might be/or know a police officer??

Cheers in advance guys.

Yes they also stop me regularly but when they notice i'm a farang and i stay left, have a helmet, no fear for them they will let me go. I only speak very fast english to them as crappy as i can.

You don't have to fear them but keep left all the time..many times they also have one of their team a few hundred metres before the checkpoint and he has a radio to tell them who they should stop.

When i see traffic jam on strange spots then most of the time there is a checkpoint. Then also the thai motorbikes will all go to the left side.

But last week there was a policeman on a motorbike who did exactly what they should do, he horned to all drivers who didn't stop for motorbikes while they should, i almost wanted to give him 100 baht for doing that. I had big fun and followed him for a while but then i noticed a policecar right next to me who also followed him so i didn't dare to follow him any longer. Next time i will give them a thumbs up or even a free lunch if they like.

• Like 2

If you aren't doing anything wrong you will be ok.

If your driving a car or a bike yourself you will be a bit more open up to getting shook down, which should be a few hundred baht max. Main thing is stay away from transporting or carrying drugs, and also from using Amphetamine type stimulants as you can get piss tested for that on the road, although ATS's usually stay in the system for 48 hours max anyways. Uncommon to be piss tested as a foreigner.

police checkpoints are looking for anything that is out of place, car tax, traffic offences, drugs, stolen vehicles, etc, count yourself lucky you just get waved on.

I was sitting at a red light (not in Bangkok) also a police check, they pulled in every bike except me, about 20 mins later at the same place going in the opposite direction, same again, every bike stopped except mine.

Over here in western Bangkok BIB checkpoints are very common on major highways especially from about 9am to 3:30pm...they just love pulling over pickup trucks carrying stuff and motorcycles....checking for anything and everything. Few regular cars or trucks not carrying anything are pulled over. Sometimes you see them doing drug pee tests in places where a person can go pee next to a bush.

Road/traffic offenses, drugs, stolen property/vehicles, and of course illegal labors, etc. In the half dozen of so years I've been driving in Thailand I've probably been stopped around 6 times...some of those times was supposedly for a traffic violation and see if they could get a donation for the supposedly traffic violation....a few times I just needed to roll down the window so they could see clearly into the front and back seat of my SUV, etc. Never-ever were they concerned with "why are you in Thailand Mr Farang, asked to see a passport, etc."....it was purely a driving/traffic related stop, looking to see if you have a seat belt on, getting a close look at your road tax/registration sticker expiration date, glancing into the vehicle for any obvious unlawful things, etc. As mentioned earlier from what I've seen and I see it daily here in my part of Bangkok they really concentrate on pickup trucks carrying things or a bunch of labors in the rear, large transport trucks, and motorcycles....but cars/SUVs/pickups trucks not carrying anything are not stopped very often unless maybe their road tax/registration sticker is expired, missing a license plate, and other obvious traffic violation.

Edited by Pib

Road/traffic offenses, drugs, stolen property/vehicles, and of course illegal labors, etc. In the half dozen of so years I've been driving in Thailand I've probably been stopped around 6 times...some of those times was supposedly for a traffic violation and see if they could get a donation for the supposedly traffic violation....a few times I just needed to roll down the window so they could see clearly into the front and back seat of my SUV, etc. Never-ever were they concerned with "why are you in Thailand Mr Farang, asked to see a passport, etc."....it was purely a driving/traffic related stop, looking to see if you have a seat belt on, getting a close look at your road tax/registration sticker expiration date, glancing into the vehicle for any obvious unlawful things, etc. As mentioned earlier from what I've seen and I see it daily here in my part of Bangkok they really concentrate on pickup trucks carrying things or a bunch of labors in the rear, large transport trucks, and motorcycles....but cars/SUVs/pickups trucks not carrying anything are not stopped very often unless maybe their road tax/registration sticker is expired, missing a license plate, and other obvious traffic violation.

You are correct they stop the poor and extract money from them on a daily basis. When owning a truck I was stopped every day for 12 days in a row. The usual "you go fast", "you not wear seat belt". All which was total rubbish and fabrication. I have found that don't speak Thai, be polite, smile and shake your head and they usually wave you on. I have had, not enough air in my tyre once. Laughable.

I rarely get stopped now, as I have a better car but still see motorbikes and pick ups daily, getting pulled over. Sadly I have little respect for the RTP, stealing from those who can barely afford it. Also I know where often that money goes. Promotion for the big boys. it doesn't come for free or cheap. I was led to believe all this would stop after the 22nd May. I think it has increased, certainly the roads I travel on it has.

Driving motorcycles on the left is the "suicide lane", buses and taxis turn without notice, cars come from the left without stopping or looking. But its ok, if you drive a motorcycle you obviously have no money so your life is of little value. Far right lane should be reserved for German luxury cars.

I ride my bike and almost never stay in that lane.. better to pay the fine then to get killed. Only problem i have with paying the fine is that sometimes you have to go to a out of the way police station to pay it.

I do the same as namdokmai and watch out for traffic jams on strange spots and how the Thais drive if they all go to the left i follow. Its a stupid outdated law and should be scrapped.

I was checked last June.

It was quite intimidating.

Two officers wanted me to empty my pockets.

One of them also did a body frisk after I emptied the pockets.

They picked over my wallet, carefully inspecting every compartment a number of times.

I had a packet of tissues which they were interested in.

They emptied the packet opening and inspecting every tissue it contained.

They also carefully inspected every bank note I had.

This was repeated another two times, holding each note up to the light.

The taller officer wanted me to also open my mouth, as he peered in for a search.

He got me to open my mouth 3 times during the process.

I was carrying a number of 1,000 baht notes and thought they'd stitch me up for sure.

I remembered to stay calm, wai, smile & cooperate.

They let me go, but I'm sure of I must have come close to being separated from some of my notes.

After reading of their reputation I left this incident quite drained.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1