Report on 90-day Report at Chiang Mai Immigration, 2014-11-11

Seligne2

FYI: I arrived at CM Immigration at 13:15 to file my 90-day. I was immediately given number 644. The number then up was 605.

After an hour they were at number 628. My number came up at 15:05. I gave them my passport, a TM47, signed passport copies, and a receipt from a condo payment. It took longer than usual to get the form stapled in my passport. They now enter data into the computer and print the form out rather than it being hand written. They seemed to spend a lot of time entering data and looking at what comes up on the screen.

I was out at 15:15: 2 hours, about double what it has taken me 4 times in the past.

First mistake was going there at 13.15 that's Imm rush hour,3-4pm you will find is much quicker.However as Circusman suggested use the mail in option. Immigration are now advising people to use the mail in method for 90 day reporting which has been covered many times on this forum,details in the pinned section up top of the page.

• Like 1

At the Chiang Mai Expats club they had the chief from immigration come in with two others in a prepared talk. The man doing the talking made a point of having it mailed in as it is much easier for them. They are already working long hours and any thing you can do to help, them is appreciated. My last time in there I had to wait while they helped a fellow fill in his form. To many such as my self it is not that big a deal but if it will help them to expedite things I will mail it in. The longest I have ever had to wait was an hour and a half. About the same amount of time it would take me to take my passport to an agent and then go back to pick it up.

The other week it took me 90 minutes to get my 90 days reporting done in Chiang mai.

Got in just after 15:00 on number 685 while the 'meter' was indicating 655 someting.

When it was finally my turn, I noticed the problem.

Two youngsters doing the job. One girl was a student doing the paper work while the other person, this self-conceited young man (you may know whome I mean), was at the computer.

Instead of serving all people as quick as possible, he did not much but irritatingly keeping the girl from doing her work and listening and working wasn't particularly her thing either. Production less than 50% I would say.

Hope there will come a day that immigration gets more room and manpower. There is no way I can think of why they do not invest some baht into this as I also think they make some big money there. I feel sorry for all these inspectors who must be under stress and make overtime.

Even the hospitals don't have these crowded waiting rooms every day. Maybe not the best comparison but am out of words now.blink.png

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 1

At the Chiang Mai Expats club they had the chief from immigration come in with two others in a prepared talk.

from a couple friends who attended the above expats meeting,said it was a complete fizzer

and they were very disappointed with the prepared talks etc etc

and left with the strong feeling

mission impossible

a very lovely morning to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

The OP included a receipt for condo payment. Do they now require something new?

No, have no idea why he had that, maybe to impress?

My understanding is that the point of the 90-day is to prove where you are living. That is what the copy showed.

The OP included a receipt for condo payment. Do they now require something new?

No, have no idea why he had that, maybe to impress?

My understanding is that the point of the 90-day is to prove where you are living. That is what the copy showed.

I will nit pick here for amusment.... condo payment does not prove where you live, only that you made a condo payment. the tm 47 has a place for a current address, that is all that is required for 90 day report. Since the culy haired girl has departed report desk things have really slowed down,sad.png

• Like 1

I will nit pick here for amusment.... condo payment does not prove where you live, only that you made a condo payment. the tm 47 has a place for a current address, that is all that is required for 90 day report. Since the culy haired girl has departed report desk things have really slowed down,sad.png

Does anyone know what happened to the curly haired girl? She was fantastic - could process a form in the blink of an eye. She is really missed as she saved us tons of time.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what happened to the curly haired girl? She was fantastic - could process a form in the blink of an eye. She is really missed as she saved us tons of time.

As she was too fast at her job she was tranfered to the hairdressing division to "Straighten her out".

We use the Rayong Immigration office in Mataput. 90 day reports usually take less than 10 minutes. The last time I renewed my retirement visa and did a 90 day report at the last time I was in and out in less than a half hour. The Rayong Immigration people are very friendly and efficient. If a person has a problem they go out of their way to help. We are very satisfied with the services provided.at Rayong Immigration. One thing we usually do is get there when the doors open especially when doing a visa extension being one of the first ones in line has its benefits.

Thanks to Rayong Immigration.for such great service.

<e-mail removed>

Edited by Tywais
e-mail removed as per forum rules

I asked the staff at Chiang Mai Immigration if I could mail the document for 90-dayreporting, and they told me something like "not a good idea, it could get lost...".

That was probably two years ago, so now I just drive there every three months and that's a pain.

Next one is end of December, and appointment for a 1-year visa extension is on January 9 or 10, so I have to go twice...

We use the Rayong Immigration office in Mataput. 90 day reports usually take less than 10 minutes. The last time I renewed my retirement visa and did a 90 day report at the last time I was in and out in less than a half hour. The Rayong Immigration people are very friendly and efficient. If a person has a problem they go out of their way to help. We are very satisfied with the services provided.at Rayong Immigration. One thing we usually do is get there when the doors open especially when doing a visa extension being one of the first ones in line has its benefits.

<e-mail removed>

You do know this is the Chiangmai Forum?

I would guess that immigration here deal with a very large percentage more than those in Rayong.

And very efficiently considering their working environment and workload which in general is ridiculous.

Something that could be easily resolved should the current powers that be so inclined.

I asked the staff at Chiang Mai Immigration if I could mail the document for 90-dayreporting, and they told me something like "not a good idea, it could get lost...".

That was probably two years ago, so now I just drive there every three months and that's a pain.

Next one is end of December, and appointment for a 1-year visa extension is on January 9 or 10, so I have to go twice...

A long, long time ago. See the pinned thread above.

Edited by Mapguy

Bigger picture to all of this.

1. Reported on TV not so long ago about a meeting with various Government departments including Immigration and proposed changes for the future, one of which was the facility to do 90 day reports online.

2. Recently some Imm Offices were handing out leaflets about the importance of notifying 'Change of Address' and the subsequent fines for not doing so.

Indeed the boss at Amnat Charoen told me people rarely notify a change until they do a new extension.

3. All Immigration Offices were notified to accept 90 day reports by mail.

4. Information is being logged and saved on computers and notification receipts are being printed, not handwritten.

Maybe I've got my head in the clouds, but I think this is all a part of the preparation to eventually do 90 day reports online.

You don`t have to go twice because the 1-year visa extension you can do 1 month before

At the Chiang Mai Expats club they had the chief from immigration come in with two others in a prepared talk.

from a couple friends who attended the above expats meeting,said it was a complete fizzer

mission impossible

Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-Eleven Stores'

Police Colonel Rutjapong Saravanangkool said officials had mooted plans that would allow foreigners to use a keycard or something similar when checking in at convenience stores. He would push this idea over the next year and hoped to make it a reality, he added.

90-day check-ins

All foreigners in Thailand must check-in with Immigration every 90 days. They can do so in person at the Immigration office, or submit the forms by registered mail or via a third party. Police Colonel Rutjapong said the Chiang Mai Immigration office is almost at capacity, and encouraged people not to report there in person if possible.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4557

• Like 1

I had a similar situation and went I went to immigration I was able to do both the same day without have to make two separate visits. Apparently you can do you annual extension 1-month in advance so it may be possible for you to do it on one visit. I had to get in two lines early in the morning. I received two que numbers. When you arrive at immigration ask them if you can do both the same day.

<e-mail removed>

You do know this is the Chiangmai Forum?

I would guess that immigration here deal with a very large percentage more than those in Rayong.

And very efficiently considering their working environment and workload which in general is ridiculous.

Something that could be easily resolved should the current powers that be so inclined.

Sorry, have to disagree with you. The three people they have on the 90 day desk are lazy and uncaring at best. I do agree that the operation is overcrowded and understaffed but the trio on the 90 day desk are beyond help.

• Like 1

The 90 day counter was pretty efficient in the past...but new personnel is the direct reason why it has become so inefficient recently...

He operates in his own little world and NOT customer focus - he just doesn't care. I observed him for ninety minutes and in one hour he did 10 numbers - I was #11 which took him 2 minutes so you do the math...

We are at their mercy and they know it...

CB

• Like 2

The other week it took me 90 minutes to get my 90 days reporting done in Chiang mai.

Got in just after 15:00 on number 685 while the 'meter' was indicating 655 someting.

When it was finally my turn, I noticed the problem.

Two youngsters doing the job. One girl was a student doing the paper work while the other person, this self-conceited young man (you may know whome I mean), was at the computer.

Instead of serving all people as quick as possible, he did not much but irritatingly keeping the girl from doing her work and listening and working wasn't particularly her thing either. Production less than 50% I would say.

Hope there will come a day that immigration gets more room and manpower. There is no way I can think of why they do not invest some baht into this as I also think they make some big money there. I feel sorry for all these inspectors who must be under stress and make overtime.

Even the hospitals don't have these crowded waiting rooms every day. Maybe not the best comparison but am out of words now.blink.png

Chiang Mai, in the past, was one of the world's top retirement choices. You would think that they would want to put on some kind of nice "face" to greet potential retirees....

Unfortunately, many find their immigration........lacking. I would say overworked, crowded, and uncomfortable...

Actually, I feel pity for the people that have to work there.

Sorry about that negative... I actually enjoyed going to the immigration office in Udon Thani...

Chiang Mai Immigration is years behind.

Edited by slipperylobster

You don`t have to go twice because the 1-year visa extension you can do 1 month before

Yes, If I just walk-in, I could do both at the same time. However, this year I make an appointment via http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/561776-online-immigration-queue-system/, to avoid getting up at 4am, and waiting until 15:00 to 16:00 to have my documents checked. I ended up spending nearly 20 hours for the complete process for the one-year extension last year, but that's another story.

So I'll probably do the 90-day reporting by mail, and go to my appointment for the 1-year visa extension as planned. So all good :)

mission impossible

Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-Eleven Stores'

Police Colonel Rutjapong Saravanangkool said officials had mooted plans that would allow foreigners to use a keycard or something similar when checking in at convenience stores. He would push this idea over the next year and hoped to make it a reality, he added.

90-day check-ins

All foreigners in Thailand must check-in with Immigration every 90 days. They can do so in person at the Immigration office, or submit the forms by registered mail or via a third party. Police Colonel Rutjapong said the Chiang Mai Immigration office is almost at capacity, and encouraged people not to report there in person if possible.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4557

as for the 7/11 bit...a pie in the sky, plan

90 day mail reports etc etc..whats new about that??? been in play for ages

the meeting(immgr dept/expats club) was a complete fizzer