Report on 90-day Report at Chiang Mai Immigration, 2014-11-11

Seligne2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

At the Chiang Mai Expats club they had the chief from immigration come in with two others in a prepared talk. The man doing the talking made a point of having it mailed in as it is much easier for them. They are already working long hours and any thing you can do to help, them is appreciated. My last time in there I had to wait while they helped a fellow fill in his form. To many such as my self it is not that big a deal but if it will help them to expedite things I will mail it in. The longest I have ever had to wait was an hour and a half. About the same amount of time it would take me to take my passport to an agent and then go back to pick it up.

Somebody should have told him the 90 day reporting is a total waste of time and resources and they should just completely forget about it. What would be so bad about not having it?

I asked the staff at Chiang Mai Immigration if I could mail the document for 90-dayreporting, and they told me something like "not a good idea, it could get lost...".

That was probably two years ago, so now I just drive there every three months and that's a pain.

Next one is end of December, and appointment for a 1-year visa extension is on January 9 or 10, so I have to go twice...

Send it by post, AS PER THEIR REQUEST.

On the "Pinned" 90 day report procedure there is no mention of condo contract...but, I included a copy of my lease contract when I mailed mine in...if anyone can f'up the process, it is immigration and I didn't want to take any chances. My thinking was that I need to 'prove' my location of living.

Clarification please...is it required?

Seems to me that the people now working the 90 day counter are the 'working them sideways' staff....next stop toilet cleaner !

LOL, now that was what I'd like to write in my earlier post, but thought better keep them friends. But you are right.

Son of one of the guys maybe? (Not you that is)laugh.png

Nowisee, on 12 Nov 2014 - 17:53, said:

On the "Pinned" 90 day report procedure there is no mention of condo contract...but, I included a copy of my lease contract when I mailed mine in...if anyone can f'up the process, it is immigration and I didn't want to take any chances. My thinking was that I need to 'prove' my location of living.

Clarification please...is it required?

Only 'reporting' your address on a 90 day report.

Only need 'proof' of address when doing an extension, or change of address.

Chiang Mai Immigration has become like a lottery.

Makes absolutely no difference what day and what time one visits. It`s all down to luck how long it takes to acquire the 90 day stamp. On occasions I have been in and out within a few minutes, other times it`s taken several hours.

• Like 2

First mistake was going there at 13.15 that's Imm rush hour,3-4pm you will find is much quicker.However as Circusman suggested use the mail in option. Immigration are now advising people to use the mail in method for 90 day reporting which has been covered many times on this forum,details in the pinned section up top of the page.

I went today and got there at 2 PM. I was out by 3. Had an banana shake and read my book. Not bad at all.

Assist do, most definitely, still exist. I find them very useful.

Services like this are OK if you trust a third-party to carry around your passport. But if yours disappears, well, mai bpen rai. Will you take the service to Thai civil court and sue for the cost in time and expense to obtain a new passport? Best of luck on that. Personally, the only third-party I trust with my passport is Thai immigration, and that's only because I really have no other choice.

They did stop 90 day reporting for years, but as soon as I started getting one year visas regularly they brought it back. sad.png

More accurately, they didn't enforce it for a long time. When I arrived in '93 no one that I knew was doing them and was told not an issue. Every once in a while someone would tell me it is on again but only lasted a few weeks then back to normal. Must have been about 10+ years later when I got caught out when doing my work extension and the enforcement began in earnest. That was my first 90 day and have been doing it since.

At my 2nd extension in 1990, I was told that I hadn't done any 90 day reports, which was true as I didn't realise I had to. I started then, and continued ever since. In the earlier days it seemed to change every time, sometimes I signed a book, sometimes I got a receipt, sometimes I had to fill in a form. I have also been required to report in different places, at first in the old building, then in another building round the back, once in the old detention cell building, several times in the copy centre, a few times to a table in the waiting area of the newer building, then back to the old building, finally to the current window.

One time somebody else's passport was returned to me in error. Luckily I always check before I leave the office.

Chiang Mai Immigration has become like a lottery.

Makes absolutely no difference what day and what time one visits. It`s all down to luck how long it takes to acquire the 90 day stamp. On occasions I have been in and out within a few minutes, other times it`s taken several hours.

I totally agree. It's the 'luck of the draw'. Last time I went it took me 2.5 hours. Today I was in and out in under 15 minutes. Didn't have time to drink half my latte. lol However, I think I'll give the 'mail-in' option a shot the next time. The less folks that go personally for 90 day reporting, the less crowded it is for folks who have other business to attend to.

• Like 1

There are a number of strategies that work to make the experience more tolerable for us retirees or anyone with some free time:

Visit elsewhere as well; both Airport Mall and a Rimping (interesting eateries) nearby, not to mention a record-settingly inexpensive (morning) vegetarian restaurant northward toward the canal. Yamasaki bike dealer south side of canal. And so on and so forth. For myself, fetching a book, divided by people watching, and (immediately available) snacks suffice. Or send a trusted cook and cook something familiar, or a beloved cleaning soul and you buff a dresser yourself for a while.

Chiang Mai is best experienced by those looking for opportunities to cope in positive ways, and living here better even yet when I'm willing to discard Western ideas of 'hurry, hurry'. Subscribing to the rat-race may not be the profitable way to experience life - once given the opportunity.

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

First mistake was going there at 13.15 that's Imm rush hour,3-4pm you will find is much quicker.However as Circusman suggested use the mail in option. Immigration are now advising people to use the mail in method for 90 day reporting which has been covered many times on this forum,details in the pinned section up top of the page.

I went today and got there at 2 PM. I was out by 3. Had an banana shake and read my book. Not bad at all.

Not bad for a one year extension, but ridiculous for a 90 days reporting.

There are a number of strategies that work to make the experience more tolerable for us retirees or anyone with some free time:

Visit elsewhere as well; both Airport Mall and a Rimping (interesting eateries) nearby, not to mention a record-settingly inexpensive (morning) vegetarian restaurant northward toward the canal. Yamasaki bike dealer south side of canal. And so on and so forth. For myself, fetching a book, divided by people watching, and (immediately available) snacks suffice. Or send a trusted cook and cook something familiar, or a beloved cleaning soul and you buff a dresser yourself for a while.

Chiang Mai is best experienced by those looking for opportunities to cope in positive ways, and living here better even yet when I'm willing to discard Western ideas of 'hurry, hurry'. Subscribing to the rat-race may not be the profitable way to experience life - once given the opportunity.

Yes Padre

Not bad for a one year extension, but ridiculous for a 90 days reporting.

Hey, I think perhaps you somehow got off in the wrong country. Chill - lower stress levels and enjoy yourself -

Posted my 90 in the mail midday last Wednesday, have not received anything from immigration, it's now the following Thursday.

Looks like I'll be going to Chiang Mai Immigration on the 26th.
I hope they ask me why I didn't use the post and then I'll show them (after I get my 90 days sheet) my post receipt.

Oh well, next time I'll spare myself and just go to immigration.

Nowisee, don't give up hope--it still may arrive. For my first mailed 90 day report, about 6 months ago, I only registered the outer envelope and the postal process took over 3 weeks. This last lime I registered both envelopes, 18 baht each, and I received the slip 5 days after mailing.

If you didn't register the self addressed envelope you should consider doing so next time. It not only speeds delivery but also you can tell if the slip was mailed. If not, then at least you know there may be problems with your documents or your submission got lost at Immigration. Then you have to go in person.

• Like 1

Some people are regrettably obsessive. Relax! biggrin.png

Otherwise, simply be sure of the return address at which you live and how to write it! English works for postal deliveries except, maybe, in th super boonies.

General response seems to show it makes no difference if the return envelope is franked as registered or not. So what, anyway, You have proof by register that you mailed it in! So, what's all trhe fuss !!!!!

Why does this sort of simple problem come up all the time!

Edited by Mapguy

Posted my 90 in the mail midday last Wednesday, have not received anything from immigration, it's now the following Thursday.

Looks like I'll be going to Chiang Mai Immigration on the 26th.

I hope they ask me why I didn't use the post and then I'll show them (after I get my 90 days sheet) my post receipt.

Oh well, next time I'll spare myself and just go to immigration.

FOOT IN MOUTH...5555

It turns out the behind the counter people at my condo did not tell me I had a piece of mail from immigration (I think they may be trying to punish me for a previous incident of losing face). My letter was dated 14th and I just get it today after I asked if they had it... At first they said no, but I saw it in the back upside down...

Next time I will also take the advice of sante and register the return one as well.

ANYWAY, sorry for the bad post and apologies to Immi for the bad publicity.

Edited by Nowisee

I waited 3 weeks for my self addressed envelope to come back to me. It never did. Went in person today and was advised DO NOT use mail for 90 day reporting. No fine as I had the post office receipt.

outside T.V. world

your happenings regurlary occur, due to the hit and miss of the services provided

but a personal visit to rectify . such as u have done,and bobs your uncle

surprised to learn of their advise, not to use the postal system

but c/mai immgr dept, is a lottery these days and that could change next day,perhaps with a change of personal behind the counter

see how u go next time around, better luck i hope

Edited by evenstevens

I waited 3 weeks for my self addressed envelope to come back to me. It never did. Went in person today and was advised DO NOT use mail for 90 day reporting. No fine as I had the post office receipt.

With apologies, Circusman, but I don't find your post helpful. The reason is that there seem to be too many expatriates obsessed and nervous with what is really a simple business (albeit a pain in everyone's hind quarters). Look at the number of posts on this thread! blink.png Your post is a bit like shouting "Fire!" in a crowded place!

Your apparent experience runs counter to the recent reports of many, many others including myself. It is directly contrary to the very recent specific guidance from the head of Chiangmai Immigration. I am not calling you a liar. Perhaps you simply misheard or misinterpreted the clerk, a simple confusion of accent or lack of a common language.

Your registered post might have gone astray, but that a registered letter posted locally to a local official address in Thailand would not be delivered is most certainly extraordinarily rare. Did you track it? It could have been misplaced at the office. Perhaps it was misaddressed or the submission incomplete. Whatever. In any case, you were not charged.

I am sorry that you had to make the trip to the office --- a pain in the rear and an unnecessary addition to your carbon trail, but please be careful not to sow seeds of confusion with this topic !

By the way, with your handy receipt, you could well have waited until the approximate date of your next report --- and have enclosed an explanation in another mailed submission with a photocopy of your receipt. If you were going to leave the country before then, a very, very alert immigration officer in a nasty mood at the border might pick up that you were missing a report in the passport, but then you have the receipt. I leave the country often, and I haven't ever seen an officer even look, but it could happen, I suppose. Or there is the infintesimal risk some BIB with an Immigration background might nail you on the street (or at the circus biggrin.png) ?!

By the way, that's what we need in Chiang Mai. A tent circus at least once a year. Lots of elephants here already! Lots of clowns, too. And lots of acrobats! Should be fun!

Edited by Mapguy