Bicycle lanes planned throughout Thailand

webfact

If gambling wasn't illegal in Thailand, I'd take odds on how long it takes vendors to occupy the new bike lanes.

Wouldn't need the damned things if the sidewalks were clear! It's already (to my knowledge) legal to ride a 110cc scooter on the sidewalk as they are considered a bicycle.

===============

Ever wake up real early for a toilet run, then go back to sleep for another hour? That's when I have the STRANGEST (and coolest) dreams.... Seems like the Powers That Be live in a perpetual state of blissful dreams and false promises.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bicycle lanes?????

I've got a good idea..

1.lets have a meaningful driving test

2. Let's have rules on the roads

3. Let's have the police enforcing those rules

4. Let's have driving bans for those that break them

5. Lets stop people driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder of dual carriageways especially without lights

6. Let's have an MOT test to get rid of dangerous vehicles

Oh dear......must have been a dream I've just woken up

Let's have law enforcement, oh.wait.. tit

Great idea!

Confine the bikes to one area.

Then you can hit several "targets" at a time while passing on the left!

It will save time..very efficient!

Thais do not like exercise.

It will only be farangs who get hit and killed.

Sounds like a win, win, win situation for the Thais!post-147745-0-83381400-1416024217_thumb.

Don't believe the propaganda about the success of bicycle lanes, it is just a publicity stunt. In reality the lanes are blocked with trees, telephone boxes, advertising signs and even signs erected by the BMA themselves. The brand new bicycle lanes along Srinakarin road were built by Unique Construction and the paving slabs were breaking up from day one.

LoveKorat wrote:

<< 5. Lets stop people driving the wrong way on the hard shoulder of dual carriageways especially without lights >>

ahem.

If one wishes the premier Euro cycling experience, yes, the Netherlands are hard to beat...except the dismal weather (wx).

The sun is a rumor there, trust me. Europe is great for bicycling for June through mid October. Then fly to เมืองไทย

If one is in CM or Pattaya, you gotta use your smarts and locate a cheapie bicycle coupled with a good cable lock from Falangland.

You do not cruise about any city in Thailand, show-boating your pricey bicycle where people can learn your HABITS. Bad call. C'mon, we all have to be switched on about Thailand. How many on this forum recall the Pattaya-Ban Chang-Sattahip bicycle thieves? The Tai cyclists chipped in baht and the Tai cops did their job. I think all of us ride with pepper spray now. Not a bad idea. I am more into long distance bicycle touring. Most hong paks (guest houses) have guards. I chat 'em up....and give me a 100b note. No worries.

Re: LoveKorat comments, all spot on.

Here is my take about vehicles of all descriptions IN YOUR LANE approaching you at speed. When I first arrived in Thailand, I just crutched everywhere. I could not walk, so I studied everything. This gave me a big advantage. I knew nothing, everything was new and different and otherworldly Still is! Yes, I about flipped when I was pedaling for the first time and traffic is coming towards me. In my falang mindset, this is called "wrong way traffic."

But all of us have developed a Thai Mindset to encompass the way things are in Thailand. Now my mind conjures up the term "COUNTERFLOW." It is easier to digest than "wrong way traffic." We are in their Kingdom, recall?

​Oh yeah....I never pedal in the Kingdom without a front white LED flashing and about 3 rear red flashing lights.

When I spy oncoming traffic in my lane, I check my rearview mirror and then move onto the traffic lane, raising my hand to the counterflow traffic to alert that I see them. They wave back, always. No problems....ไม่มีปัญหาครับ

• Like 1

and you would know bs

And yes, there is an annual Tour of Chanthaburi, limited to just 300 entrants, next month if you are keen to enter.

Estimated 600 riders in the East Coast Challenge yesterday, Rayong-Chanthaburi 151 km return, plus the entrants in the 117km less competitive couples ride

But as I've read, Thai people don't ride bicycles, must have imagined it, like September when so many turned up for a social fun ride they were split up into 9 groups of 40-50 each, riding the marked cycles lanes on the Chalaoem Burapha Chonlathit highway, approx 200km marked cycle lanes, purpose built since 2009.

10553319_875797142464513_703961221000398

Edited by gomangosteen

Once upon a time they painted a bicycle lane on the Sukhumvit Rd pavement around the Soi 3 to 7 area. I'd like to see them "improve" that one. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Then, many years back they set up a police bicycle patrol in Pattaya. They looked very natty pedalling their bicycles in the Songkran parade, but I never saw them out and about ever again.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

As a cyclist, I'm dubious about the success of lanes being honored but then try using them in NYC.

A lot more people ride bikes in Thailand than many commenters here seem to believe. Some ride bicycles worth more than the scooter you ride every day.