Work permit canceled or not?

I had a non-B and I just recently crossed the border, canceling the non-B and getting a double entry tourist visa. My school has my work permit and I never canceled it. I left on short notice because of a family emergency, but they were upset about me leaving and I am thinking they aren't going to cancel it.

Does it automatically get canceled when my non-B is canceled? How long are work permits usually valid for? I'm also wondering when it will expire if they don't cancel it. I'm going to the US for a few months but I want to return to Thailand and get a new teaching job. I just don't want this to be a problem, and the school isn't cooperating because they took my resignation personally and won't help me.

Edited by typ123

if the WP is not cancelled properly, it could flag in the system next time your employer applies for one, in most cases they are valid for 12 months at a time

If you have resigned and are not coming back for a while absolutely no benefit to the school by not cancelling it, they are not gaining anything

Personally, I wouldnt be too worried about it, see what happens when you come back

Edited by Soutpeel

The WP is not automatically cancelled but the school can cancel your WP.

I would suspect that they will cancel your WP in case you do not return as they would like to avoid questions from the labour department about the the reason of not cancelling a WP when it expires.

If you return and apply for a new WP it could be a issue that your previous WP was not cancelled correctly when required but it depends on the labour department mood.

Unless relations are very poor between you and the school, usually they will inform you that the WP has been cancelled, is about to be cancelled, etc. particularly if you ask for that information.

I am assuming that you don't have a copy of your work permit and that the school had a policy of keeping the WP's, as many schools do.

I am definitely not going backt to the school and I am not on good terms with them. If they don't cancel it, don't they have to pay to renew it? I don't see why they wouldn't cancel it unless they just wanted to give me a problem. Would they do that? They've already hired a new teacher. How would it not be canceled correctly and why would that affect me? The school witholds the work permits AND doesn't give copies of the contracts. It's really a giant POS that place.

I am definitely not going backt to the school and I am not on good terms with them. If they don't cancel it, don't they have to pay to renew it? I don't see why they wouldn't cancel it unless they just wanted to give me a problem. Would they do that? They've already hired a new teacher. How would it not be canceled correctly and why would that affect me? The school witholds the work permits AND doesn't give copies of the contracts. It's really a giant POS that place.

You can cancel it yourself. Since you have a valid visa that will not affect your legal status in country. You will need the WP cancelled when applying for a new one.

Can I cancel the work permit if I don't have it with me? The school keeps the work permit and there is NO WAY I am going back there after the way they treated me. Extremely unprofessional people working there. Seems to be a pattern for them wirth foreign and Thai teachers quitting without notice.

Can I cancel the work permit if I don't have it with me? The school keeps the work permit and there is NO WAY I am going back there after the way they treated me. Extremely unprofessional people working there. Seems to be a pattern for them wirth foreign and Thai teachers quitting without notice.

You would simply state that they (illegally) kept it.

I don't think it would be ever be necessary, but you could even file a police report about that and you would be stating true facts.

See attached cancellation form.

In the absence of the actual Work permit then a police report as to its loss will be necessary.

Work permit needs to be explicitly cancelled.

• Like 1

See attached cancellation form.

In the absence of the actual Work permit then a police report as to its loss will be necessary.

Work permit needs to be explicitly cancelled.

Thanks a lot for this!

Firstly, the school should not have your work permit, you are supposed to carry it with you at your place of work.

Secondly, you should have a copy of your work permit in case you lose the original. If you have this, take it to the Labour office, explain the situation and cancel the permit yourself.

If you dont have a copy, go to the Labour Office and find out if it has been cancelled. If not you could ask the Labour office to ring the school and get it cancelled.

When cancelled you will get a letter of cancellation. If you are going to a new school you will get a letter stating that you are applying for a new work permit. Either or both of these letters are sometimes required when applying for your new non B or extension of the current one.

Your work permit is normally valid until the end date of your contract, end of school year. However, it will not be automatically cancelled.

Depending on your local Labour Office and immigration, they may not care if you cancelled your permit or not. Just depends, some are pretty cool others work to the letter of the law.

Best thing is, just go to the Labour office and sort it out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello helpful strangers,

I went to the labor department office in Chiang Mai (the new office near 700 year stadium).

I informed them that the school keeps the work permits illegally and that they lost it or are just refusing to cooperate with me.

I showed them my passport and made it clear that my non-B has already been canceled, and that I am not working for the school anymore.

I filled out a short form and they canceled my work permit without an issue. It was very simple.

Best advice for sure is just to go to the labor department office if you find yourself in a similar situation.

Good luck everyone. Peace.

• Like 2

I left my job after 2 weeks and kept the visa for the rest of 1 year. Everyone told ne the school would cancek the WP and nt visa would be stopped and I'd have 7 days to leave the country. Not true. Only immigration can cancel visa.

The fine for not cancelling WP was 1500 baht at the police station

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know exactly where that office is now? I need to renew Monday and my employer also took my newly expired work permit and won't give it back - and also won't tell me exactly where the new location is. It's strange behaviour, but several people are talking about this particular individual's strange angry behavior so it isn't just me.

I have the contract in hand and have to go on my own but have no idea where it is. Googling comes up empty.

I would be grateful for any help.

Cheers