Thais rally behind police officer seen kicking drunk driver

webfact

Thais Rally Behind Policeman Seen Kicking DUI Suspect
By Khaosod English

14162323151416233048l.jpg
Screenshot of a video showing a traffic police officer who was suspended from duty for kicking a drunk driver who crashed into six cars over the weekend.

BANGKOK — Thais on social media are rallying around a traffic police officer who was suspended from duty for kicking a drunk driver who crashed into six cars over the weekend.

The police force in Nakhon Sawan province announced the suspension of Police Senior Sergeant Major Poradet Detchote after a video, taken by a bystander, showed him kicking a driver who reportedly smashed his car into six vehicles in front of a school and injured a schoolgirl on 15 November.

The suspect's hands were handcuffed behind his back when he was kicked by Pol.Sen.Sgt.Maj. Poradet. Police told the media that the driver, whose name has not been released to the public, tested positive for alcohol in his breath.

Police say Poradet would also face disciplinary and legal action for his assault.

Yet many Thais have posted messages and changed their profile photos on Facebook to express support for Poradet, whose behavior they are calling an appropriate punishment for the drunk driver.

A number of comments argue that the suspect "deserves" to be "taught a lesson" by the police sergeant.

"Why is it a crime for the police to kick him?" one commentator wrote. "The police officer is suspended because of his inappropriate action. What about getting drunk and crashing someone else's cars, isn't that even more inappropriate?"

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1416232315&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-18

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me thinks the cop had a point. But there is such a thing as professionalism and setting a positive example. This drink driver will likely get the book thrown at him & serve some time.
Some idiots will always condone violence so this is nothing new. Just a shame they get a bigger platform for it now. I also wonder what punishment the copper will get,I hope it's served and reported on

I love how the copper's partner just stands and watches him lose it.

I don't know how injured the girl was due to this drunk driver, but for arguments sake, let's say the injuries were minor. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone on TV will correct me. Luckily, all this drunk jerk did was damage some cars. Had he maimed or killed someone during his stupid act, then sure...a little beating before tossed in the clink would have been in order IMHO.

The cop admitted he was wrong, and shockingly even apologized for his actions. When have you heard a policeman apologize? Just let the policeman ride out his suspension, get some counselling, and get back to work. No need to honor him with a demonstration. What fools.

• Like 2

"Why is it a crime for the police to kick him?" one commentator wrote. "The police officer is suspended because of his inappropriate action. What about getting drunk and crashing someone else's cars, isn't that even more inappropriate?"

No, it's not more inappropriate, however it is inappropriate, that's why he will be in court.

That's what the legal system is for.

• Like 2

"The police officer is suspended because of his inappropriate action. What about getting drunk and crashing someone else's cars, isn't that even more inappropriate?"

It is more inappropriate, hence the police officer being SUSPENDED and the driver being ARRESTED :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm sure the drunk nice man was just sitting there being very quiet and respectful to the officers.

That mean macho officer should have gone on a coffee break and let the family of the school girl he injured, and the owners of the 6 cars he hit, all have a nice conversation with the gentleman. I'm sure they could have worked something out. w00t.gif

police are to uphold the law not brake it. They have taken a person into custody and as such his physical and mental wellbeing are 110% thier responsibility. They have a duty of care to protect him not kick the shyt out of him. In Aust this dog excrement would be sued along with police force and his house, car and first born will all be gone.

Rubbish - look at the penalities and fines handed out for police violence in VIC, QLD etc in the Courts & civil cases.

Two things came to mind when I first saw this video.

The mafia in brown are poorly trained; they could barely subdue and cuff the guy.

I was suprised the rest of the brown thugs didn't join in the kicking once the guy was down

• Like 2

Animals, believing kicking a person in the head who is on the ground, cuffed and secured is barbaric. There is absolutely no justification for kicking a person who is down. I guess this is just thainess to hand out your own punishment. I bet this hero felt great beating up someone who couldn't defend himself. I bet he kicks over prams with babies in them and laughs also. Lowest piece of cowardly scum.

Exactly.....soon they'll be worse than the polizei in Amerika. This is as barbaric as Indian street justice.

There is no justification for ANY form of police brutality.

• Like 1

if the majority vote for "kick him" then isn't that what Thai democracy is all about

The OP quite rightly highlights the exact mentality that exists in this 3rd world country

Unfortunately while the leadership has remained the same for years then the whole country inherits it's morality from them

Will things be different in two years time - I'm beginning to doubt it

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2