Bank wants my signature allowing wife to have prepaid credit card.

Wife applied for a pre-paid credit card. She has the money in special account that can't be touched to cover card purchases.

Sounds fairly straight forward to me but the bank has wanted a stack of documents including marriage certificate and house book. Yesterday the bank called to say they wanted more papers and my signature allowing/permitting my wife to have this card. w00t.gif

So went to the bank to see what it was all about and yes they want me to sign a paper, in triplicate, allowing my wife to have her own pre-paid credit card. The pretty girl at the bank assured me that this would not make me responsible nor be a guarantee for my wifes spending "not your money wife money" but could not give any explanation why my permission was required. blink.png

Anyone else come across this.sad.png

Sounds like a stitch up. A German friend of mine was asked to sign papers written in Thai at a Thai bank which he was told by his wife and the Bank Manager was for a payment for school fees. Only when the bank came to him for B6.5Million owed on a house in Bang Saen did he get the paper translated only to find it was a loan for a house.

Tell your wife to use cash.... Her cash.

• Like 2

And different banks apparently have different requirements. Opened my first account with the Yellow Bank - tons of bureaucracy for even simple transactions. Later opened account with Kasikorn - processes more streamlined and easier to deal with.

Well my card didn't require any other person's signature.

I am guessing your signature would also be accepting some responsibility for her expenditures, despite there being a fixed deposit and presumably equivalent limit.

While it may not please your wife, I would not sign.

Don't sign nothing.

Bank staff lie.

There is nothing stopping your lady getting a prepaid card from many banks.And she already knows this.What is she saying to you? why does she not just walk into another bank.It sounds like a set up.

Why dont you get a copy of the papers they want you to sign and go take them for translation.Just to establish you are not signing for a house loan!!!

• Like 2

If all the rules at a bank or elsewhere made sense, life just might be too easy… but in a case like this - it is still your choice, go with it or not. The bank employee is just following instructions which sometimes come from people who are quite out of touch. Sometimes it is good to go with a gut reaction, unless you just had something a bit too spicy.

The CIMB (Gateway To Asean Success) requires that foreigners find a Thai to sign a document so that an account can be opened, so that, "if we can't contact you we can contact a Thai person, don't you have a girlfriend?"!!!!

I even had my 800,000 retirement funds on the counter to open a fixed deposit account as they have the best rate in Thailand.

Allowing a bank to contact a Thai about details of my account is not on my "to do" list and never will be.

Money back in the bag and a few meters up the road the SCB was happy to provide a service.

• Like 2

Sounds like a stitch up. A German friend of mine was asked to sign papers written in Thai at a Thai bank which he was told by his wife and the Bank Manager was for a payment for school fees. Only when the bank came to him for B6.5Million owed on a house in Bang Saen did he get the paper translated only to find it was a loan for a house.

Wow ! what happened after that ... did she keep the house & did he keep the wife ?

Who's paying the bank ?

It does not really matter.

If legally married you are responsible for your wife's debts any way.

Just nice of the bank to let you know about the debt.

Probably a man that has come up with this so the husband always knows what the wife does.

• Like 1

you can call me cynical but how long have you two been married,its already been suggested you get a copy of what they want you to sign,and if its something along the lines,the wife says its ok to run up a debt and you will pay,then you need to consider your future.as they say UP TO YOU

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

- On the language part, I recently wanted to open another savings account but the bank staffer (old very high profile popular Thai bank) insisted she could give me any documents in English because it's illegal in Thailand for banks to have documents in English.

- A few months back my Thai adult son wanted to open another savings account (again old high profile Thai bank which we have used for years, many accounts, etc.) without an ATM card. Bank girl insisted it's now compulsory by law to have an ATM card. Son said never mind he would go to another bank. Just at that moment the bank manager walked past (knows my son from previous business) and asked it he could help. Son revealed he was unhappy, manager confirmed it's not compulsory to have an ATM car. Girl had already ticked the box on the app. form, and now tells my son he will have to take an ATM card because she cannot start the application form again (against the law). Son calls manager back, manager tells girl she's wrong. Son says never mind, went to another bank.

- Son and his wife go to start new joint account, (again old high profile Thai bank) bank girl says 'just sign here'. Both son and wife refuse and insist the girl complete all the details before they sign. Girl says she's not allowed to do that, because bank procedure is that she must write the details on all forms after the bank doors are closed for the day. Son calls the mobile number of the manager, who appears quickly. Manager says 'it's not a problem, just trying to make it quicker for the customer'. Son and wife walk out and go to another bank.

In fact all Thai banks prohibit staff from doing this and it's also a serious breach of the regulations of the Bank of Thailand. I know this because it came into a discussion in one of my MBA classes, and one of the students is a senior bank manager.

• Like 1

It does not really matter.

If legally married you are responsible for your wife's debts any way.

Just nice of the bank to let you know about the debt.

Probably a man that has come up with this so the husband always knows what the wife does.

My wife has her money and I have mine, our accounts are at different banks, I am legally married, so I am responsible for my wifes debts, I don't think so.

My wife has her money and I have mine, our accounts are at different banks, I am legally married, so I am responsible for my wifes debts, I don't think so.

Thailand Civil and Commercial Code, Book V, Family

Section 1490. Debts that both spouses are jointly liable to perform, shall include the following debts incurred by either spouse during marriage:

(1) debts incurred in connection with management of household affairs and providing for the necessaries of the family, or maintenance, medical expenses of the household and for proper education of the children;

(2) debts incurred in connection with the Sin Somros;

(3) debts incurred in connection with a business carried on by the spouses in common;

(4) debts incurred by either spouse only for his or her own benefit but ratified by the other.

Thailand Civil and Commercial Code, Book V, Family

Section 1490. Debts that both spouses are jointly liable to perform, shall include the following debts incurred by either spouse during marriage:

(1) debts incurred in connection with management of household affairs and providing for the necessaries of the family, or maintenance, medical expenses of the household and for proper education of the children;

(2) debts incurred in connection with the Sin Somros;

(3) debts incurred in connection with a business carried on by the spouses in common;

(4) debts incurred by either spouse only for his or her own benefit but ratified by the other.

Yes, I can understand some of this, but maintenance of the household? OK if it's a condo, but houses are in the wifes name, so that should not be the husbands problem, but TIT. I was thinking of the wife borrowing money for a business opportunity, and it failed, or buying a car on HP and not keeping up payments, then the debtors coming after me.

Thanks for the information.

• Like 1

Damn, I wonder how often you encounter that sort of bull just because you have a Thai wife. My wife is an American of Filipino ancestry. I have never had any problem of this sort in Thailand with banks, stores, or immigration. My wife can open an account, get her own retirement extension, get a pre-paid card, buy a vehicle, lease a house, all on her own; and she has.

Do you think you may be being discriminated against simply because she is Thai and you are farang?

I know this happens. Some years ago, my wife met me in the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. She came in from the States and checked-in to the hotel using her credit card. I showed-up from Saudi Arabia the next day. We spent three or four days in the hotel and when we were checking out--as is our SOP--I was in the bar having a cocktail while she handled the paperwork. She came to join me and was looking over the bill. She discovered an extra charge; the hotel had charged $20/night extra for a girl in the room. Well, I ordered a second cocktail while she went to do battle with the concierge. End result, the extra fees were deducted from the bill, we received a 10% discount, and my cocktails were on the house.

• Like 1

Damn, I wonder how often you encounter that sort of bull just because you have a Thai wife. My wife is an American of Filipino ancestry. I have never had any problem of this sort in Thailand with banks, stores, or immigration. My wife can open an account, get her own retirement extension, get a pre-paid card, buy a vehicle, lease a house, all on her own; and she has.

Do you think you may be being discriminated against simply because she is Thai and you are farang?

I know this happens. Some years ago, my wife met me in the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. She came in from the States and checked-in to the hotel using her credit card. I showed-up from Saudi Arabia the next day. We spent three or four days in the hotel and when we were checking out--as is our SOP--I was in the bar having a cocktail while she handled the paperwork. She came to join me and was looking over the bill. She discovered an extra charge; the hotel had charged $20/night extra for a girl in the room. Well, I ordered a second cocktail while she went to do battle with the concierge. End result, the extra fees were deducted from the bill, we received a 10% discount, and my cocktails were on the house.

It always was a bit of a chicken hotel,,,, Just look who stayed there in the past Mick the dxxk Jagger Elton bender John charles and Di, And me , If it had happend to me,I would of got a full refund