Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just noticed that my son's passport is only valid for 5 years, even though he is 25 years old and by no means a minor. I wonder why that is.

Called the HMPO last night, but they refused to answer as my son was not their with me. He needs to give his authorization for them to talk to me, as the information is deemed personal to him. I will call again tonight before my son leaves for work. In the meantime, if anyone has any idea why it is only 5 years and not 10, your input would be appreciated.

I just noticed that my son's passport is only valid for 5 years, even though he is 25 years old and by no means a minor. I wonder why that is.

Called the HMPO last night, but they refused to answer as my son was not their with me. He needs to give his authorization for them to talk to me, as the information is deemed personal to him. I will call again tonight before my son leaves for work. In the meantime, if anyone has any idea why it is only 5 years and not 10, your input would be appreciated.

That's the HMPO 'Helpline' I guess - they gave me that 'data protection act' bs as well when I phoned regarding my son and daughter's passport applications.

I was in a hurry, other wise I would have passed them over to speak with my three year old boy for a really meaningful conversation.

Muppets....

I recollect that your son is now an adult, but maybe since you were having to go through the steps to prove his British Citizenship by birth again that some idiot at HMPO assumed be was a minor and thus supplied a the 5 year passport.

Suspect this is just a simple mistake which should have been easily avoided by most even with only modest IQs.

Do get your son to speak to HMPO helpline on a conference call with you, they can't refuse to answer then!

• Like 2

I have an appointment tomorrow and printed out the application form but right at the end I put in the wrong email.

Can I use liquid paper to correct it or can I leave it wrong - is it important?

Are there forms to get at the trendy?

From the UK Passport application notes (pdf from link below).:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230586/OS_Guidance_Notes_08.13.pdf

I’ve made a mistake on the form, what should I do?

Cross out any mistakes. Do not use correction fluid. If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 9, you will need to fill in a new form.

I have an appointment tomorrow and printed out the application form but right at the end I put in the wrong email.

The HMPO will use the email as a primary form of contact if there are any questions about your application. In that regard, both the email address and phone number that you provide them is important.

As stated earlier, manually crossing out the wrong email address, writing in the correct email address and signing the change will be adequate. There is also a comment field in the actual application form where you can re-state the correct email address. Finally, the VFS officer accepting your application will also verify with you the email address and phone contact numbers given and write them down on your 'receipt'.

A couple of things stand out in your application:

1 ) The applicant is an adult but you are 'handling' the application. Privacy laws and the penalties if they circumvent them are pretty much cut and dried.

2 ) The amount of time lapsed between the expiration of the first passport and the request for this one. He is not exactly a frequent flier.

3 ) The need to resubmit additional support documentation may have already 'flagged' the application for additional scrutiny or limitations.

FYI, I had both my UK passports stolen in the US several years ago. Both replacement passports had only 5-year validity. Subsequent passports reverted to full, 10-year validity.

Despite the possible language differences and personal convenience (to you), HMPO are respecting privacy laws when citing they will only talk with the applicant present.

Edited by NanLaew

1 ) The applicant is an adult but you are 'handling' the application. Privacy laws and the penalties if they circumvent them are pretty much cut and dried.

2 ) The amount of time lapsed between the expiration of the first passport and the request for this one. He is not exactly a frequent flier.

3 ) The need to resubmit additional support documentation may have already 'flagged' the application for additional scrutiny or limitations.

FYI, I had both my UK passports stolen in the US several years ago. Both replacement passports had only 5-year validity. Subsequent passports reverted to full, 10-year validity.

Despite the possible language differences and personal convenience (to you), HMPO are respecting privacy laws when citing they will only talk with the applicant present.

We called on Wednesday night and my son was present. They simply asked whether he had a middle name and checked his date of birth. They said our inquiries would be sent to the appropriate office which would get Back by email within 3 working days. I had the feeling that because of the long time since expiry of his old passport they are only prepared to give 5 years this time. But I thought it best to check.

I used this service yesterday and it was very efficient. One thing I witnessed was a British guy trying to speak Thai to the officer. There is no need for this, they all have excellent English skills.

I also heard that when I pick up my passport, I also have to go to the British embassy to get some letter that I need to take to Immigration to transfer the visa.

I used this service yesterday and it was very efficient. One thing I witnessed was a British guy trying to speak Thai to the officer. There is no need for this, they all have excellent English skills.

I also heard that when I pick up my passport, I also have to go to the British embassy to get some letter that I need to take to Immigration to transfer the visa.

Yep the letter in important though i am told they dont transfer your visa just the stamp to your new passport. You will still need to use your old passport for the visa. Thats what TE told me Edited by bim

When I receive my new passport, do I need to have the visa stamps transferred at Jomtien, or can I get the necessary stamps when I leave Thailand via Swampy?

If you have a visa you can do it at the airport.

If you have an extension of stay from immigration you have to go there to get you stamps transferred.

• 2 weeks later...

We called on Wednesday night and my son was present. They simply asked whether he had a middle name and checked his date of birth. They said our inquiries would be sent to the appropriate office which would get Back by email within 3 working days. I had the feeling that because of the long time since expiry of his old passport they are only prepared to give 5 years this time. But I thought it best to check.
They did not get back to me so I called again. I was told that they would re-address my inquiry to management to expedite a response within 24 to 48 hours. Still waiting 7 days later.

They did not get back to me so I called again. I was told that they would re-address my inquiry to management to expedite a response within 24 to 48 hours. Still waiting 7 days later.

Sorry to hear that you have no resolution yet.

More confirmation that the UK HMPO help line (run by a private agency - Teleperformance) is still near to useless for anything other than the most basic of information that one can generally also find through the internet/google.

From the UK Passport application notes (pdf from link below).:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230586/OS_Guidance_Notes_08.13.pdf

I’ve made a mistake on the form, what should I do?

Cross out any mistakes. Do not use correction fluid. If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 9, you will need to fill in a new form.

Strikes me as utterly crazy in this day and age that we are now required to dip our quills into pots of ink and complete our passport renewal application forms in manuscript, particularly bearing in mind that Hong Kong provided an online form for this purpose when they handled passport renewals! Clearly HMPO have decided, for reasons best known only unto themselves, to turn the clock back to a bygone era by insisting on passport renewal forms being completed in such an antediluvian fashion!

Edited by OJAS

More confirmation that the UK HMPO help line (run by a private agency - Teleperformance) is still near to useless for anything other than the most basic of information that one can generally also find through the internet/google.

I agree with you Digi

I tried to contact 300 222 0000 yesterday thats the number given on their website but gave up after the 6 th attempt,i wanted to speak to them over my sons renewal.

I decided i had a better chance of talking to Lord Lucan and im now wandering as i was using my

C.A.T phone card if they were blocking the cheap rate i was getting from the card.

I agree with you Digi

I tried to contact 300 222 0000 yesterday thats the number given on their website but gave up after the 6 th attempt,i wanted to speak to them over my sons renewal.

I decided i had a better chance of talking to Lord Lucan and im now wandering as i was using my

C.A.T phone card if they were blocking the cheap rate i was getting from the card.

First to Soap. Everytime I have called I have got through straight away. I called using a land line each time. Four times in total.

I called again last night so by now the total telephone bill will probably the same as the price of a passport. The person who answered said he was sure that my inquiries had been forwarded to Liverpool, the office that issued the passport, but that it was likely the issue had been escalated to Newport. He then gave me the Newport email address [email protected] . He said his supervisor was sure there was an error in the issuance of my son's passport with validity of only 5 years. But told me to write directly to Newport.

This is going to be my last effort on this as it is getting silly and at least my son now has a valid passport.

First to Soap. Everytime I have called I have got through straight away. I called using a land line each time. Four times in total.

I called again last night so by now the total telephone bill will probably the same as the price of a passport. The person who answered said he was sure that my inquiries had been forwarded to Liverpool, the office that issued the passport, but that it was likely the issue had been escalated to Newport. He then gave me the Newport email address [email protected] . He said his supervisor was sure there was an error in the issuance of my son's passport with validity of only 5 years. But told me to write directly to Newport.

This is going to be my last effort on this as it is getting silly and at least my son now has a valid passport.

Personally, I think that you would have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain by submitting a written complaint directly to Newport. All being well, you should receive a favourable reply before your son's current passport expiry date.....

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I agree with you Digi

Last time I contacted the help line was 4 weeks ago, used Skype and got through each time.

Even though I had a connection I might as well have been speaking to my wall since I was enquiring about a delay in the issue of my son and daughter's new UK passports and was informed that they couldn't supply me with any details due to the 'data protection act' as I was not the 'actual applicant'.

Actually I had signed the applications, as my son is 3 and my daughter 6, unfortunately I was in a hurry and ended the call, otherwise I would have passed them over to my son so that they could have a truly meaningful conversation with him................

Muppets......

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Has anyone successfully used someone else's credit card?

Yes.... but you may have to trawl back about 6 months if you want the post that has the details in.

I seem to recall that an applicant paid using a brother's (or friend's) card. Obviously the card holder needs to sign the card authority for.

Thought I'd report my passport renewal experience.

Applied for appointment 27/12/14

I got reply 29/12/14, appointment made for 7/1/15

Submitted application in about 5 mins at Trendy on the day so all very quick.

Got a call on 23/1/15 to say passport was ready for collection.

Was in office for about 2 minutes when I collected the passport today.

All very quick and much easier than anticipated.

• Like 1

Who do you contact to make the appointment. Thanks for the info BTW

You need to send email here: [email protected]

Give them 3 available dates you can attend

• Like 1

You need to send email here: [email protected]

Give them 3 available dates you can attend

You can get all info here https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

In the required documents section for proof of address I used my house rental contract (translated to English) because it is all I have. This is not on their list, but was accepted with no problems.

• Like 1

My attempt to renew my 16 year old sons passport this week did not have as smooth a path as yours journey

I gave the Trendy one months notice for a afternoon appointment on the 7 th January,they sent me a 9-40 am appointment on the 7 January 2014.

After taking a great interest over the past 8 months in this thread and reading how common sense by the HMPO had gone out the window i vowed that i would not subject me or my son to endure a 2000 kilometre journey to submit the passport documents knowing that you could be in and out of the Trendy office in 5 minutes,i knew my daughter would be in Bangkok from the 6 th for a couple of days after returning for holidays from her university in China,so we sent the documents down to my daughter to deposit at the Trendy office,in and out in 5 minutes.( so you can nominate someone to go in your place )

I tracked the documents and in a couple of days they were at the HMPO Liverpool ( so far so good )

Then i received a email dated 19 January from a C Cain of the Liverpool HMPO that was short and sweet and very much to the point saying that we owed them another 3 pound 15 pence and the credit card was unacceptable.Then i had visions of my friends daughters 18 week wait for her passport.they did not explain why i owed the 3 pound 15 pence or why the credit card was unacceptable so i sent a email asking them to explain what the problem was,after 4 days without reply i used my C.A.T phone card to phone their

Help ( yourself) line my phone card that i had used to ring the UK for years @ about 2 ฿ per minute was blocked,so i used the AIS premiun number and after about 5 minutes being put on hold i spoke to a lady who started to go through the rigmorole of asking for information,after asking for my D.O.B she told me she had to speak to the applicant who had gone to the gym and i told her to forget about it.

The next time i rang with my son there i ran out of credit on my mobile 200฿ and then had to ring up again and start all over.All told it must have cost about a tenner just to try and get an explanation of why i owed the money and why the credit card a was unacceptable. ( BTW the credit card was a friends kbank platinum visa credit card.)

To cut a long story short i received this email a couple of hours ago

Thank you for your previous email.

Apologies for the letter issued by C.Cain requesting an additional fee. We have been in contact with the local service office where the application was submitted and they have confirmed that the payment was accepted at their office however it has not shown on our system.

Your application has now been processed and the passport was issued on 23/01/2015. Once the application has been received at the Thailand Office they will contact you directly to arrange either delivery or collection.

Apologies for any confusion.

Kind Regards,

Rebecca.

HM Passport Office

Liverpool International Team 5.