What Change Does Thailand Need To Make

cdmtdm

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai soaps have to have less gratuitous violence...mandatory 5 years prison for any police or government official caught using their official position for corrupt gain...a mandatory leash law...all dogs without leases shipped to Vietnam (just kidding)...

I think that to make any change viable we need to start with the basics.

A Thai Constitution that cannot be changed willy nilly by politicians but only (for example) the vote of the majority of people in the majority of provinces.

Once that bedrock foundation is in place - with the separation of powers locked into the Constitution - then the rest of whatever is deemed (by the Thai people) to be needed can be introduced (tested against the Constitution).

Who will formulate the Constitution ?

Representatives of the electorate, maybe ?

But, wait a moment, haven't these elected representatives already had the opportunity to put the Kingdom on the right road?

So, what next?

Maybe, a benign dictator will do it. whistling.gif

I would say they could start by giving foreigners " genuinely" married to a Thai lady more " freedom " of living his life in regards to owning his land in his name and work freely or own his own business without Thai's involved.

Obviously under close regulated laws so this will not be abused, but it will be a great start and only fair to stop treating us like intruders of some sort.

After all, if you were to take your Thai wife to your home country she would be treated otherwise and given the freedom to work and live her life freely.

Wake UP LOS, we're not living in the 16th century anymore..... and your also loosing out on massive capital gain and economic growth.

Yeah.... I know, this will most properly only happen when hell freezes over but it's just a thought of what could be done to make things better.

This is probably pretty low on the list of concerns related to making TH a better place. In fact, why should someone who is not a citizen be allowed to own part of a country?

Because Sherlock, you will be paying for it and secondly if everything was the way it was supposed to be then we would get Citizenship after a given period in Thailand as with your Thai wife if you were living in your home country... Instead we yearly have to PAY for a 1 year extension and report every 90 days like someone on parole !!! Unless you're a sexpat on overstay who's got his tent put up behind the toilettes at a Pattaya beer bar and could not give a damn.

Try moving to the UK with your NON EU spouse! The rules there are now even ridiculous and prejudiced than here. An unrealistic amount of savings or a high income is required. There are thousands of UK citizens who now can't move home because of this. Cases are ongoing in the EU courts... Thailand has rules too but visas are much easier to obtain here than in the UK...Its very easy to get a work permit if you have the right qualifications to work here too....Pls also dont assume that everyone one is a sexpat. By saying that just reveals how your mind has been corrupted...

I have not accused anyone personally of being a sexpat mate.... read my posting again. I simply stated that "sexpats" would be the one's who would care less about wanted to be treated fairly if your married to Thai lady and live in LOS.. And no my friend, my mind is definitely NOT corrupted by anything or anyone. I just think it's fair to have these changes implicated within the laws of Farang / Thai marriage..... that's all.

Without getting into too much detail, I think it would have to be a multi-generational change, and start with education where interested students were allowed to ask the teacher the word "Why?" - one of the most useful words I know.

I was indoctrinated in England, my first country, but got slapped across the second cheek when I tried to play nice, so now I'm Thailand not because I think it's perfect, but a whole lot better than my first country (for now at least).

Thailand I see as a place of great contrast - you can meet the most giving and helpful people here, then walk around the corner and get something quite selfish. I do get the feeling a lot over the last 6 months or so that the younger people (particularly males) are feeling like they've been let down, and are starting to take that out on the foreigners. Anyone else feel that?

No I just feel many are BONE IDLE and want money for nothing

I would say they could start by giving foreigners " genuinely" married to a Thai lady more " freedom " of living his life in regards to owning his land in his name and work freely or own his own business without Thai's involved.

Obviously under close regulated laws so this will not be abused, but it will be a great start and only fair to stop treating us like intruders of some sort.

After all, if you were to take your Thai wife to your home country she would be treated otherwise and given the freedom to work and live her life freely.

Wake UP LOS, we're not living in the 16th century anymore..... and your also loosing out on massive capital gain and economic growth.

Yeah.... I know, this will most properly only happen when hell freezes over but it's just a thought of what could be done to make things better.

This is probably pretty low on the list of concerns related to making TH a better place. In fact, why should someone who is not a citizen be allowed to own part of a country?

Because Sherlock, you will be paying for it and secondly if everything was the way it was supposed to be then we would get Citizenship after a given period in Thailand as with your Thai wife if you were living in your home country... Instead we yearly have to PAY for a 1 year extension and report every 90 days like someone on parole !!! Unless you're a sexpat on overstay who's got his tent put up behind the toilettes at a Pattaya beer bar and could not give a damn.

Try moving to the UK with your NON EU spouse! The rules there are now even ridiculous and prejudiced than here. An unrealistic amount of savings or a high income is required. There are thousands of UK citizens who now can't move home because of this. Cases are ongoing in the EU courts... Thailand has rules too but visas are much easier to obtain here than in the UK...Its very easy to get a work permit if you have the right qualifications to work here too....Pls also dont assume that everyone one is a sexpat. By saying that just reveals how your mind has been corrupted...

I have not accused anyone personally of being a sexpat mate.... read my posting again. I simply stated that "sexpats" would be the one's who would care less about wanted to be treated fairly if your married to Thai lady and live in LOS.. And no my friend, my mind is definitely NOT corrupted by anything or anyone. I just think it's fair to have these changes implicated within the laws of Farang / Thai marriage..... that's all.

But there is a process for becoming a Thai citizen. So why don't you just go through with that? Problem solved.

Basically, I think the only solution to real progress here, is a much better educational system for everybody (not only the rich) to benefit from.

You fix the educational system and over time, everything will progress and change to the better, all by itself. But I doubt the Elite, would like the poor to become smart.

A change from within.....

Now you're talking. Let's get all Thai men hooked-up with farang women.

and what would any Farang woman do to deserve that?

Ah possum, why would you think that was a punishment?

I think you know. "Thai man no good" What does that remind you off?

Change? As to what end? Most change will be bad. Thailand is a nice country. Quit trying to make it the west.

Where do they say they're trying to make it like the West? And please tell the poor folks scratting around to get rice with fishhead soup on the table why you think change would be bad while the filthy rich continue with their corruptness and rob everyone else. There are very obvious changes needed to further society here and make it a better place FOR THAIS that wouldn't mean wholesale cultural upheaval. Would you deny them betterment?

this is not a competition as to who knows best , it is about suggestions on improving the long term future for Thais and Farangs ...based on not repeating the mistakes made in western culture ...please try and make some intelligent suggestion based on personal experience ,

Posted Today, 08:10

smotherb, on 22 Nov 2014 - 01:11, said:snapback.png

possum1931, on 21 Nov 2014 - 10:34, said:snapback.png

smotherb, on 21 Nov 2014 - 09:36, said:snapback.png

benalibina, on 21 Nov 2014 - 00:34, said:snapback.png

A change from within.....

Now you're talking. Let's get all Thai men hooked-up with farang women.

and what would any Farang woman do to deserve that?

Ah possum, why would you think that was a punishment?

I think you know. "Thai man no good" What does that remind you off?

Ignorance

Be nice if they could stop the visitors dying every other day ! All these "tragic accidents" is getting a bit much.

How many more bodies need to be added to the pile before someone somewhere does something other than brand it "suspected suicide".

Maybe they should just drop the TH and replace it with D.

Edited by MichaelJackson
  • Like 1

I appreciate the jest of the thread, i am often thinking the same.

My first thought is what needs to change the most is farang or anyone who thinks it needs to and will change for what we think is the better.

I don't need to be a smart ass, but i come to this conclusion the more time spent in TL.

And in any and all regards to life: work on changing yourself for the betterment of yourself and others , see how that goes, and please report back here.

• Like 2

The biggest change needed would be to improve their humanity. Actually value human and animal life instead of preaching their Buddhist bull crap but treating people and animals with disdain, and also failing to enforce those basic values through law.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates#Mandate_3

Read it and tell us, as being a thai woman what you would like to change.

Rewrite and update .....Thai Cultural Mandates.

Example please

Have you noticed some of mandates have already been updated and rewritten by the actions of Thai people. Some of mandates need not be updated.